Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Thinking of relocating to Elgin (Moray – not Illinois)
  • beamers

Evening All

Contemplating uping sticks and moving from Aberdeenshire to Morayshire.

Does anyone amongst the STW massive happen to live in, or close to, Elgin? I’m looking for some pros and cons.

Ta in advance

kcal

/waves/
    From Elgin originally, moved away, returned, plenty to do (for me – I don’t need much).

Plenty of both, though if you’re in Aberdeenshire you’ll know most of the generic ones.

I’ll try and list a few, but email in profile if you want to chat further.

kcal

Depends on age, family situation in many ways.
    A lot of folk leave in their late teens, early 20s to get on and develop careers and so on – which leaves a bit of a demographic gap in the area.

Pros – usual stuff of easy access to countryside, lovely trails, seaside and mountains both within likeable distance. Like to think folk on the whole are quite welcoming, reasonably affordable housing, access to sports facilities, shopping is patchy (can be good, can be bad). Schools again it kind of depends on what your expectations are, they’re not bad really but some poor staff let the general standards down. Weather like to think is quite benign, less rainfall than plenty places. Health access is not bad, hospitals and GPS are on the whole good. Cycling is good – both roadie and off-road.

Cons – usual stuff about small-ish towns, job opportunities are patchy, certainly well paid ones, crowd mentality in general and certainly in the town on paydays and weekends, would say alcohol is bit of an issue, access to cultural events also patchy, though it is there – just have to work harder at it. Transport links – if you’re in Aberdeenshire you’ll know what *that’s* like, planes trains and automobiles not great really.

does that help?
    Fire away and I’ll try and respond or others in and around Elgin can pipe up.

beamers

Cheers kcal, that gives us something to think about.

Another option is to relocate to Inverness but the cost of housing may be a problem for us.

Mrs B is a about to return to teaching (Moray have a significant) shortage. We have two young kids (3 and 6) so schooling, and stability, is also an important factor.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of relocating to Elgin (Moray – not Illinois)’ is closed to new replies.