Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Any deals on Anti-virus software etc
  • cove123

Mcfee what £50 for the year, anything cheaper/better

Drac

Avast far better and free as is AVG.

tazzymtb

AVG for free on the tinterweb, it's one of the best out there. Team it up with zone alarm and you are pretty much tighter than a gnats chuff!

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

allthepies
    Free Member

Microsoft Security Essentials – free + nice and unobtrusive 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Avast or AVG both for free, but IMO Avast is better

samuri
    Free Member

Sorry but I'm afraid AVG is not a particularly good product any more. Massively bloated and slow to provide update to day zero viruses in the wild.

Go for microsoft's security essentials.
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

It provides cover for viruses and a wide variety of malware, it's low on resource and they're not trying to sell you a commercial product.

Tiger6791

Never really understood the need for anti-virus software.

Surely you have to be a muppet to get one?

clubber
    Free Member

Not McAfee having had all computers on our work network brought down by a faulty update from them. Muppets 🙄

Waderider
    Free Member

To say AVG is massively bloated when it's free and paid for antivirus is often more bloated is surely missing the point somewhat?

Having said that I moved from AVG to Microsoft Security Essentials when that came out. I use clamAV on my linux boxes, just to keep Windows PC's on my network safe.

And Tiger6791, you have to be a muppet not to run antivirus. You don't need to do anything more proactive than use a PC to get malware. Obviously it's your choice, but if you use the PC for online shopping, banking etc. you're soft headed. It could be also argued that you are being socially irresponsible, as it is non-updated PC's without adequate security that are most likely to end up in a bot – a network of computers under control of a third party, used for nefarious purposes.

Coyote
    Free Member

Never really understood the need for anti-virus software.

Surely you have to be a muppet to get one?

You are of course right. It is all a big con. Do you base this assertion on years of experience in the IT industry or blatant ignorance?

tragically1969
    Free Member

I second Microsoft Security Essentials, integrates with Windows nicely, has picked up a few dodgy Trojans from a few legit sites on my system.

Mounty_73

I run 2 pc's and a laptop, they have never had anti virus software on them, never had any problems…a good firewall does the job just fine…

And before anyone says anything I have worked in the IT industry for 14 years…

As long as you are careful and use a bit of common sense you shouldnt pick anything nasty up on a pc, stay away from dodgy sites too ! 😉

Avast does a good job, personally I would stay away from anything Norton related…

kamina
    Free Member

Microsoft Security Essentials – free + nice and unobtrusive

I agree, it's a pretty good deal and works well.

cove123

Cheers

Cougar

Another vote for MSE here.

I work in IT and (amongst other things) remove malware infections for a living. I've come across just about every home and corporate AV solution there is, the good the bad and the very ugly.

IMHO, about the best free protection there is at the moment is MSE. I'm also quite liking Threatfire at the moment, heuristic malware engine that compliments MSE nicely.

I'm seeing a lot of infections that have used unpatched software as their attack vector – Adobe Flash is very common at the moment. To stop this, make sure you're running Microsoft Update to get all the Windows security fixes, and consider Secunia PSI to check the rest of your software.

Whatever you go far, it's very important that you only run one AV solution as they'll fight like cat and dog. Uninstall McAfee etc completely before you install anything else.

Waderider
    Free Member

"And before anyone says anything I have worked in the IT industry for 14 years…"

Well, I've worked in IT also and I disagree. A firewall alone might work for someone who is technologically competent but as advice for Mr Bloggs it clearly doesn't do it.

tragically1969
    Free Member

I run 2 pc's and a laptop, they have never had anti virus software on them, never had any problems…a good firewall does the job just fine…

And before anyone says anything I have worked in the IT industry for 14 years…

I am guessing you must sell IT kit, not actually use it

Care to explain how the hell a firewall going to stop you downloading an infected file ?

Cougar

A Java programmer, a PC builder, a Database Analyst, a web developer, a network engineer, a call-centre technician, an IT Manager, an Infrastructure Consultant all "work in IT." How many of these would you trust to advise on security software?

fivespot
    Free Member

HSBC were offering McAfee free for 12 mths on line 8)

Cougar

That's overpriced. (-:

dobo
    Free Member

avast 5 is buugy pos, avast 4 worked perfect though…

Drac

HSBC were offering McAfee free for 12 mths on line

Another reason not to join them.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Kasperski!

druidh
    Free Member

33 years in IT and using MSE.

Do I get a prize?

samuri
    Free Member

To say AVG is massively bloated when it's free and paid for antivirus is often more bloated is surely missing the point somewhat?

I'm sure it is but that's not what I said. Something can be massively bloated, irrespective of how bloated an alternative product is.

ross980
    Free Member

Barclays offer free Kaperski if you do online banking with them

psilocybe
    Free Member

http://www.software4students.co.uk/ has cheap AV, OS and Office, all u do is put in the name and school of your child/nephew/grandchild etc and it lets u purchase cheap software.

Cougar

Re: Kasperski, if I was paying for AV, this would be my first choice. I don't see much reason to do so in the current climate.

Re: AVG, bloatware or not, it used to be the daddy of free AV, but it's got progressively more crap as time's gone on. I used to recommend it, wouldn't touch it with yours these days.

Re: Norton, easy target, it's not as bad a people make out. The corporate version is better than the home one, as the home versions tend to try to do too much and suffer as a result. I've found with Norton (and with a lot of AV to be honest), they prioritise detection and features above performance, so the default settings are so aggressive that they can cause a massive performance problem. The vast, vast majority of complaints I've dealt with regarding Norton can be fixed be setting the damn thing up properly.

Cougar

Software4students, above, requires a .ac.uk email address to qualify, last I looked. They're legit though, they're either part of Microsoft or approved by them.

psilocybe
    Free Member

nah Cougar your wrong mate, I got Office 2010 and Win 7 Ultimate using my 9 yr old sons name and school only a month ago and I have no such academic email.

Cougar

Really? Must've changed since I last looked, it was a few months back. Good to know, ta.

Tiger6791

You are of course right. It is all a big con. Do you base this assertion on years of experience in the IT industry or blatant ignorance?

Years of IT gubbins

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Another bike related thread!!!!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Any deals on Anti-virus software etc’ is closed to new replies.