Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Any Carbon 456 owners running an 8 speed Alfine? Opinions please.
  • surazal
    Free Member

I’ve just been on the On-One website and it got me thinking. I like the idea of retiring my aged full suss and getting a ‘do anything’ HT with hub gears. Ideally I want the 11 speed Alfine but price and availability are a bit of an issue. The 8 speed version from On-One seems good value, as does the carbon 456. Apart from a new bb, chainring/crank and headset (plus wheel build obviously) everything else should transfer across nicely.

By ‘do anything’ I mean trail centres (7stanes, CyB), natural stuff (Peaks, Dales, Lakes) and all day moorsy type rides. No proper DH or 3ft drop offs etc. (not intentionally anyway). I’d be running the bike with 140mm Vanillas

What are peoples opinions of the Carbon 456, is it comfortable for all day rides? What about frame size? (I’m 6’1 so I assume 20″ frame?)
    What about the Alfine? Is the 8 speed enough? anyone had any reliability issues?
    is anyone running the same set up? I assume One-on will sell me what I want (i.e. frame with appropriate swap outs, bb, crank etc.)? obviously I’d expect to pay some kind of build fee. or do they only sell complete bikes and components as listed on the site?
    thanks in advance.

andyl
    Free Member

You can do a custom build for free if you buy it all off them. Not sure if you supply some of your own bits. They are currently advertising “call me to make a deal on the carbon 456” on their facebook page so give them a call and haggle with them.

If you can afford it I would be tempted to look at the Ti one but at double the price, although cheap for a Ti frame, I couldn’t justify it.

Size wise you may want an 18″ as the top tube is long. Again ask them as they have a lot of experience sizing people.

But yes – the carbon 456 is an awesome frame, especially for £399, and you will just need the track end style drop outs for the Alfine.

Saccades
    Free Member

Running a 456 (steel) with an alfine for the 2.5 years, want my thoughts?

chakaping
    Free Member

What are peoples opinions of the Carbon 456

Fantastic. Very light, very fast and handles superbly with a 140mm Fox 32.

is it comfortable for all day rides?

Longest ride so far was 3hrs of XC on Sunday but I suffer from a bad back and only had a couple of achy moments. Long top tube helps I’m sure, but the vibration absorbing properties are remarkble.

I’m starting to wonder whether I still need a 5in FS bike as well.

What about frame size? (I’m 6’1 so I assume 20″ frame?)

I wouldn’t assume that. I’m 5ft 9in and a 16″ is spot-on.

As for the Alfine: No experience myself, but I reckon it could be a great frame for it because it’s so light in the rear – and I’ve read in reviews that Alfines can make bikes a bit heavy at the back.

wwaswas

I’m 6’1″ and ride an 18″ carbon 456 – I think I’d find the TT too long on a 20″ frame (I’ve ridden medium Inbreds and 456’s for years).

surazal
    Free Member

Yes please Saccades

surazal
    Free Member

Hmm, not sure about sizes. I’ve had a go on a 16″ 456 and it was way way too small and felt like a childs bike. I don’t have especially long legs but do have a long body so assumed 20″, I’m open to suggestions though.

surazal
    Free Member

Bump for evening crowd. Any experiences with Alfines in general appreciated too.
    Cheers

Saccades
    Free Member

i use my bike about the same as you intend, cept 6″ RC41Fs are on it. I use a short goliath x stem and easton mid risers.

I’ve yet to think i need/want another bike, it’s not a whippet but if you want a set up that goes and goes this is it. if i didn’t have the ebb frame and just a normal 456 i would have bought the 456c by now because it would match the forks but thats it.

My “best” nps result was with this bike, it excelled at bonty 24/12, it has only been washed 2x in that time, the chain oiled because i hadn’t in ages.

downsides…

it’s heavy when lifting over a gate, my build is 32lb, but i don’t noticed on the trails, a mate jumping and putting it sideways did’t like it because of the weight….
    gears are a bit limited, think no big ring and missing the bottom 2 on a 32:20 set up. i’m 16 stone and get up 95% of what i would om a normal set up, i tend to plod instead of spin now. silent too.

it still shifts perfect, had problems with the axel nuts because of a trailer kid hitch thing but thats it as i runtube less.

edit on the ps3 so slow, go through my post history for more detail

surazal
    Free Member

Saccades – thanks for that, I’ll have a look. out of interest what kind of speed do you spin out at?

andyl
    Free Member

Saccades – don’t forget you can get SS style drop outs for the C456. No need for the EBB. Not as cool though admittedly.

lucien

I ride a 456 steel with an Alfine 8 hub and my expereince is pretty much the same as Saccades. I’m running a 20 tooth rear and 32 front ring, and spin out around 28kph on the road.

The bike / setup was bought as winter project to avoid the heavy maintenance schedule and costs associated. Have been running since early Sept, covered around 2000kms of which 80% has been offroad and apart from tyres and a couple of chain tensioners that’s all I’ve spent on it. Cleaned about twice.

Advantage of the 456 is that it’ll take a good range of forks, so when the summer comes, might put some lighter tyres and bigger fork on it and take it for a DH spin 😯

Saccades
    Free Member

Saccades – don’t forget you can get SS style drop outs for the C456. No need for the EBB. Not as cool though admittedly.

My 456 is one of only 2 prototypes with the EBB, hanging onto it until it dies, if I was rich I’d get a 456c set up the same because at heart I’m a bike tart and I lust after carbon, titanium, sparkly bits, stop and look factor and tassles… so I could swop between the 2.

however I’m saving up for a proper garage so I have a classic to be fs for the 30 mins of summer here in ireland and the 456 for everything else.

shinsplints

I have an alfine8 on a charge duster. It’s my only bike. You spin out on anything remotely flat or downhill BUT for the silence, no hassle, smooth shifting all round ride I wouldn’t have anything else for the type of riding I do. This is shropshire hills, welsh trail centres etc. Get one, try it. If you don’t like it sell it on, they are popular.

wwaswas

seems like an opportunity to show off my SS c456 with Pace forks. I guess an Alfine version wouldn;t look too different?

Saccades
    Free Member

nice – i do like those pace forks…

andyl
    Free Member

crikey, how little does that thing weigh?

tony24
    Free Member

Ive done 7 hours straight non stop riding on the c456 comfort was not an issue its light, agile and stops trail buzz. I have got rid of my 5″ full sus as the c456 is everything I need I only have 130 mm forks on it atm but I am seroulsly tempted to try some bigger 1s in the summer

wwaswas

andyl – 22lbs on my fishing scales from Lidl.

I’m going to put some lighter tyres (bonty mud-x) on this weekend – Minions aren’t light, don’t work too well in the mud we’re currently seeign and a supertacky front seems to drag on anything that doesn’t point down.

andyl
    Free Member

That is heavier than I thought – but as you say probably the tyres.

Tony – I have 130mm revs on mine but I know I am going to want more – dammit!

I would definitely prefer a 140-150mm fork as I like to run them quite soft.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Any Carbon 456 owners running an 8 speed Alfine? Opinions please.’ is closed to new replies.