• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • To service or not to service?
  • jules99
    Free Member

I’m generally pretty lazy about servicing and only tend to get around to it when I absolutely need to. I have a pair of Fox Float forks (RLT circa 2004)on my bike which have never been serviced in any way. They’ve survived two broken frames and regular riding in the Peak for the past 5 years and still seem to work fine, though probably not as smooth as they used to be. There’s a small scratch on one stanchion caused by being leant against a wall but it doesn’t seem to cause problems and there are no signs of oil leaks etc. I last put air in the forks about 3 years ago and checked recently and the pressure hasn’t changed.
    So my question is, is it worth servicing them? Will it make them run any smoother and extend their life or just introduce problems? The LBS recommends servicing but I tend towards an ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ policy.

Any advice appreciated,
    Cheers,
    Jules.

jedi

i tend to be a dont touch til it dont work bloke too 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So my question is, is it worth servicing them? Will it make them run any smoother and extend their life

YES! Even a basic DIY oil change service will make a noticeable difference 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fox – I would service as they do not have a good reputation for longevity

Depending on what model they have a very small amount of lubrication oil in them so at a minimum change that and oil the foam rings if it has them

letmetalktomark

I would suspect that the performance has dropped off but at a slow rate meaning you might not have seen any massive changes over the years.

As above oil change as a minimum the foam rings/seals as needed 🙂

crazy-legs

Two options:
    Service them and be prepared for it to be quite expensive due to nothing being done to them.
    Ride them into the ground until they die.

Servicing makes a massive difference to forks and shocks, even after a year/18 months use the improvement in mine is noticeable when they’re serviced.

Jerome
    Free Member

I have a pair of these.
    A service would surely demand a new set of stantions, so £150 or so.
    Just buy some oil and a syringe and change the oil yourself – ten minute job.
    J.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Deffo oil and wiper change. The older ones seem to last pretty well without much looking after, the newer ones 2008+ can be a bit more fragile if neglicted.
    The main killer for Fox forks seems to be stanchion wear, esp if neglected.

fbk
    Free Member

As above, a full service would almost certainly prove expensive and involve stanchion changes etc. A quick oil change at least, should make a big difference – you most likely haven’t noticed the drop off in performance as it happens so insidiously.

Good luck!

edit – I had some 2001 floats that had a TFTuned service & PUSH upgrade in 2003 then were pretty much untouched for ages. I thought I was doing well until they suddenly started leaking a bit of oil – surprise surprise, the stanchions were mullered!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘To service or not to service?’ is closed to new replies.