Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Any bits of trail that irrationally freak you out?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

We have this ride, all very gentle stuff. The singletrack leads you down to the river where it dips slightly and there is a big root, standing a few inches clear of the trail, that runs diagonally across the track. Clearing it is simply a case of rolling over but it is right by a drop into the river and in my mind it is an almost insurmountable problem. I always clean it, it is never any trouble but in my head it is a massive issue…. but only if I ride it on the outward leg. If we ride it coming home, so to speak, I don’t even see it.

Am I the only person on the planet to have a ‘problem section’ like this?

Needless to say, my mates always seem to head out that way when I’m riding, just to see me suffer! (That’s what mates are for though….isn’t it?) 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Many! Some of which I ride, some I don’t.

ScienceOfficer is standing in the stream bed as a stall and fall is quite likely and would hurt a lot.

To the left of the image is a 6′ deep pit that I have fallen in more than once!

staralfur
    Free Member

Every single jump pretty much feels like that to me, until I follow someone else who is hitting the jump, I don’t seem to think about it then. Once it’s been done once, it’s no problem after that!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The log drop on Chute in Guisbrough woods*, I even watched a friend land it clean as a whistle in the dark, on my singlespeed thats several sizes too big for him while I rode arround the chicken run on the Pitch 🙁

*its only about 3ft, but the entry is off camber, the exits off camber, the lip isn’t straight, etc etc etc etc

LoCo
    Free Member

drop off the fire road on Cwmcarn dh, which is a POP but still gives me the heeby jeebies 😕

yunki
    Free Member

There’s a pleasant slightly downhill traverse around the bottom of a well known Dartmoor Tor.. it’s a lovely ribbon of smooth flowing singletrack wending it’s way through the bracken with a couple of interesting rock gardens and three small drops.. each about 12-18″..

the third drop is on an almost imperceptable curve in the trail but that slight curve to the landing forces me to yank on the anchors and roll the drop every time.. it doesn’t really make sense

wwaswas

I tend to treat any fear that I might fall off as entirely rational, given my overall crapness at riding a bike off road.

I do single out off-camber wet roots for special attention though – this tends to take the form of lockign all my joints rigid in preparation for what turns out to be an inevitable crash as the bike rattles off said roots at a wierd angle and I hit the deck.

allthepies
    Free Member

I know photos make things look easier than they are but LOL @ the top pic 🙂

Northwind

The last 2 drops at fort william are pretty similiar… First is ever so slightly higher but has a nicer transition, second is lower but to flat. Neither should really be a big deal but the first one spazzes me out completely, I always feel like I’m going to **** it up and die.

Probably the audience doesn’t help :mrgreen:

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I thought is was only me :wink:!!

I have a completely irrational mental block about the drop near the top of Barry Knows Best on Holmbury Hill. When I first started “proper” mtb earlier this summer, this was one of the first trails I found and I wimped on the obvious drop near the top. It was the roots that caught my eye and made me lose all technique completely. Since then, I have ridden much harder stuff but apart from once, I continue to struggle with this. All technique goes out of the window – body position, bike speed, visual focus beyond the drop etc – and I become fixated on the drop and the little root instead. Bang, on come the brakes. Its really pathetic!!

I need to go up there and just ride it over and over, as there really is nothing to it – just a nice flowing drop.

sambob
    Free Member

There’s a small drop above a steep 50 yards of singletrack and it gets me every time. That the bit we rode Yunki?

yunki
    Free Member

yeah.. the last descent of the day before the short roadclimb back to the carpark Sam..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I know photos make things look easier than they are but LOL @ the top pic

Yeah I know. It’s on the CLIC24 route, and most riders dismount because it’s so awkward. It was on the last Mendip STW ride I organised, and only two locals managed it.

It’s ~160 degree switchback that you descend, turn and then climb out. The apex is a jumble of rounded limestone and then the exit is muddy ramp.

You have to lean your bike to make the corner, but it’s difficult to carry any speed through the apex so you tend to slip and stall on the rock. If you make it past, then you have to punch up the muddy ramp to get out. If you stall and put your inside foot down, you fall a few feet into the rocky stream bed. I’ve suffered two nasty bruisings trying it. High speed entry is the answer but it’s committing.

It’s good that it’s there though – something to learn still 🙂

The corner in the lower picture is only difficult when wet and muddy and if you try to carry speed through it, as the combination of roots, holes and camber tend to throw you out left down into the pit 😆 Done at walking pace and using half-pedals to avoid catching the roots, it’s easy.

RealMan
    Free Member

Every single jump pretty much feels like that to me, until I follow someone else who is hitting the jump, I don’t seem to think about it then. Once it’s been done once, it’s no problem after that!

I have this too sometimes. Once I’ve hit something, even if I crash on it the first time, I’m fine with it after that. But if I haven’t hit something before, even if it’s ridiculously similar to something else, or easier, I just get a little psyched out. It’s really annoying. Fear of the unknown and all that.

sambob
    Free Member

I think i know the bit you mean, but i rolled all of them so cant differentiate between them all.

trailmonkey

There’s a pleasant slightly downhill traverse around the bottom of a well known Dartmoor Tor.. it’s a lovely ribbon of smooth flowing singletrack

this one ?

GW
    Free Member

WTF kind of mate stands in a river to catch you rather than on the bank to laugh?

OCB
    Free Member

There’s a short ‘bridge’ made up of ~18″ wide very heavy timber, crossing over a few feet of ditch in the woods down the road. No transitions to get on or off it, just a gentle turn to start and a straight ride out. It couldn’t be any easier – it’s just a wide plank … but I’ve never been able to ride it.

As I get towards it all I can see is the ditch … the ditch … the ditch, and that dark, abysmal troll-filled void under the bridge sucks all the life out of me.

I’m annoyed more each time that it happens, but I know if I try to ride over it I’ll fall in and that’ll be that. 😕

yunki
    Free Member

that’s exackery the one TM.. 🙂 (although possibly not that step… hopefully 😳 )

_tom_
    Free Member

Anything that involves narrow gaps between trees, like the werewolf “drop” at cannock. I’ve done stuff that’s way bigger, I just hate the run in and out to that one.

The woodwork on Blue Velvet @ Whistler. Not sure why as it’s fairly wide, I just get really shakey and nervous on it. And I don’t dare go fast round the big wooden berm, just feel like I’m gonna lose grip.

stumpyjon

The top of the staircase on Homebaked in Gisburn Forest always has me tensing up irrationally. Only fallen off there once and that was with black ice. Still have to will myself over it every time. Embarrasingly I was the one who built the step at the top which freaks everyone out 😳 . Also haven’t read the slab at Gisburn despite riding steeper stuff at Lee Quarry.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I don’t get why people are scared by the werewolf ‘drop’, it’s absolutely nothing especially when they’re running skinny bars. Wide bars make it a bit dodgier but it’s still nothing.

_tom_
    Free Member

I know it’s nothing and have done way bigger/harder stuff, just a weird phobia of the narrow trees in the run up.

mrbump
    Free Member

the werewolf drop is not nice with 750mm bars.

rondo101
    Free Member

The drop-in to Picnic bench in Leigh Woods, Bristol. I’ve done it loads of times & never come off, but saw a mate go OTB down it a while back and get the fear every time I’ve tried it since.

And I came very close to coming off into the stream bed Buzz has posted (rear wheel span on the rock & almost had a SPD moment). The picture doesn’t do it justice; it’s quite a drop down.

amodicumofgnar

Top of the top pitched section of Jacobs ladder dropping into the Edale side.

Mugboo

Stainburns Warren Boulder Trail!

mattjg
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore I’ve ridden it dozens of times, I never had a problem with it, but on the approach … I always know it’s there.

Kryton57

Heaps of logs/log rolls. Can get over the feeling I’m going to stall on top/wheels will slide out if wet.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Top of Jacob’s Ladder? Not sure if that qualifies as irrational heeby-jeebys, it’s ‘orrible 🙂

For me, it’s the last decent into Darley Bridge on the White Peak mountain guide book’s “5 Dales Circuit”. If I just manned up and rode it normally it’d be nothing at all, but because I always sh!t myself and tense up, the big ruts really screw me up

tyredbiker
    Free Member

+1 for that that bit of BKB. I’ve only ridden the trail a handful of times but it freaks me out, despite having done worse stuff with a less squishy landing. I know its fine, but if I’m in the woods alone (which seems to be the case recently-where is everyone?!) I just don’t want wreck myself on it, or mutilate my lady-undercarriage when I brake hard at the last minute!

mrbelowski – I presume you mean Clough Wood? The goddam ruts did this to me (or my inability to ride did)

Can’t see the problem with the top of Jacobs, or the drops at Fort Bill though…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mattjg and tyredbiker (nice name BTW!) – that’s why its so irrational – crazy isn’t it!! Its not a difficult piece of trail, just a nice quick dip with a straightforward exit. The roots are actually irrelevant as well. I’m sure that I would have no probs if it hadn’t have been my first ever route up there and I was a novice at the time. But still it plays on my mind whenever I am cycling on Surrey Hills. I often force myself up from Pitch just to go and prove that I can do it. Nice and confident at the start. through the mini bomb hole, over the track, build up speed, round the corners, stay focused, over the two little drops, get ready, feel great then…….BRAKE!!!!!!! And here’s me commenting on the new Flytipper thread!!!

kayak23

Rock garden on the Gethin DH track, it needs to be ploughed through at speed for success but one time I hooked up and went OTB and smashed my face in on the rocks leading to a concussion and big grazes across face despite full facer and goggles.

Second time I hooked up on entry, went OTB from the entry rock-drop, landed on my knees and broke my Tibial plateau leading to all sorts of metal plate nonsense.

Not been back there since but its fair to say I have a mental issue with that section.

neninja
    Free Member

There’s a set of badly eroded dirt steps that freak me out locally.

They are between metal posts/railings about 150cm apart, steep, covered loose stones and you have to make a 90 degree turn immediately at the bottom of them or you hit a barbed wire fence or metal post.

If they were on an open trail you’d fly down them. The proximity of the metal railings and the fact you’ll get properly beaten up if you mess up has given me a total mental block.

There’s a descent in the Dales over the river from Low Row that has also beaten me. It’s a proper rock garden with lots of loose babies head boulders mixed with bigger rocks that can suck your front wheel in.

flyingmonkeycorps

the werewolf drop is not nice with 750mm bars.

Try it with 785s… I actually got stuck at the top and had to kinda wiggle free!

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, the bit in my local woods where I fell in the river.
    Now I have to walk it every bloody time.
    Roots and a dip, followed by a fallen tree make it a precarious proposition, but I have ridden it once or twice.
    To be fair, my dog also fell in the river at the same point, but she doesn’t mind getting wet as much as I do.

imnotverygood

To be fair, my dog also fell in the river at the same point, but she doesn’t mind getting wet as much as I do.

What was she riding?

LoCo
    Free Member

I feel in the river at Cwmcarn in the middle of winter, not paying attention and faffing with camelback just over first bridge on the climb, fully submerged 😳 😆

DezB
    Free Member

What was she riding?

🙂 She was avoiding me, walking my bike across the same bit!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Any bits of trail that irrationally freak you out?’ is closed to new replies.