Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Any bits of trail that irrationally freak you out?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

the werewolf drop is not nice with 750mm bars

Maybe your bars are too wide?

bob_summers

There’s a nearby chute used to do a couple of times a week on a quick training loop. It isn’t exactly hard, but the run in is blind, you can’t see it til it’s too late to back out.
    One day I couldn’t do it. No reason, never fallen off on it.
    Last time I was there I walked it, and was passed by two blokes on loaded tourers (it’s on the Camino de santiago) who did it no problem, although I guess they hadn’t expected it. Still can’t do it. Grrr….

wl
    Free Member

Entry chute to Silly Arete near Verbier. Can’t get my head around it. And a couple of corners on Jackass in the resort. Truly amazing trails though.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Anything that involves narrow gaps between trees, like the werewolf “drop” at cannock. I’ve done stuff that’s way bigger, I just hate the run in and out to that one

Oh yeah.

There’s two that always do for me. One is the short, steep and rocky chute through some closely-related trees at Gisburn on the Red, the other is the left/right steep turn on the North Red at Whinlatter*.
    Don’t know why, but the idea of either catching my bars or flipping and hitting the trees just gets to me.

*The one at Whinlatter had been smoothed out the last time i was there, but i’d already psyched myself out by the time i arrived at the feature. Could have kicked myself when i realised 🙁

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Top of the top pitched section of Jacobs ladder dropping into the Edale side

Me too. One day… 😳

Matt24k
    Free Member

+ another 1 for the drop in at the top of Barry Knows Best at Holmbury Hill. I always bottle it at the top despite doing more hairy stuff elsewhere. There are now 2 lines and I ride the right side which is easier but I still have to stop before I do it. It’s mental in every way.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Ha, there are loads…

The chalky S-bend descent on the xc course at Aston Hill is something I just cannot do. I just can’t trust my front wheel not to wash out. Likewise, the subsequent off-camber chalky section is something I’ve never ridden in the wet.

Then there’s the dropoff at Chalkney Woods that my so called “mate” spends hours at a time sessioning to the exclusion of miles of singletrack all around. I had a nasty off there in 2004 and have never gotten my head around it.

+1 for the rocky chute at Gisburn too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hovis Corner on Stainburn’s Warren Boulder Trail

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Crazy isn’t it?

When (as i do most of the time) i ride BW/natural trails i’ll get to a feature i know i can’t ride and get off. When i get to a point on a purpose built trail that is DESIGNED TO BE RIDDEN i get freaked out and then angry with myself!

tops5
    Free Member

The log ride at Gisburn – 3 goes/3 painful fails. I give up, it has won..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Not really irrational but there is a section on a local fast 25k loop I do for killing myself on.
    It’s quite simple singletrack through woods near a steep dropoff into the River (about 12ft) It’s all tree lined and rooted, scooting along there at speed, twisty, windy, all out then theres a very sharp right turn up some exposed roots where I always get my gearing/stroke wrong, then topple into a tree. I always do the same thing, every bloomin time I ride it and I do this curcuit at least twice a week.
    I must have some sort of mental block on that section.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i genuinely do not get the fear of the weirwolf drop, even with my 710mm bars….

its a roll in, always has been from day one…yes its a bit more tame now but its not even that technical really, its just a smoothish roll in, the only thing makes it slightly harder is the angle its at….

i tell you what doesnt help though alot of you is the morons stood at the bottom waiting for people or waiting to watch people fall, i think thats really bad for concentration on any section!

ps ive never fallen off, i find it rather ridiculously easy and cant see the fuss, but i can see if there is a crowd why it may distract you!

FWIW the earlier bits at cannock, those rocky little chute challenges are much harder!

and anything with those stupid woooden lethal berms, or logs! i dont get them at all…..its all about balance, and to me i never ever use it on natural every day riding, yet at trail centres they are all the rage, i avoid them as i see them totally pointless!

atlaz
    Free Member

The chalky S-bend descent on the xc course at Aston Hill is something I just cannot do. I just can’t trust my front wheel not to wash out. Likewise, the subsequent off-camber chalky section is something I’ve never ridden in the wet

Do people ride Aston Hill in the wet? Between the chalk and clay it’s a touch on the slippery side. The roots are manageable, the claggy mud and slippery white stuff not so much.

There’s one trail on redlands I crash on every single time I ride it. I gave it a gap of a year, rode it, crashed. So I’m done with it now.

mattjg
    Free Member

Re BKB (we call it Golden Birdies), there’s a general consensus amongst us its had it’s day anyway, go look the other side of the fire trail, there’s plenty of fast feisty ST.

I think the fear is because we all came across that drop as beginners, intimidated but had to do it to ride the rest. It stuck.

mattjg
    Free Member

feisty = twisty

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Spot on mattjg!!

Where abouts is the other stuff. On the same side? Is the fire road the one you cross about 200m into Golden Birdies. Do these other trails all go down to the road?

mrbump
    Free Member

@ ir_bandito
    my bars are perfect width for my riding. the werewolf drop is the only obstacle where they have been a problem and i ride lots of different places.
    maybe you should start a thread on optimum bar width because that probably has’nt been covered on this forum before 🙄

stumpyjon

When i get to a point on a purpose built trail that is DESIGNED TO BE RIDDEN i get freaked out and then angry with myself!

Don’t, you’re making a massive assumption that the trail builder knows what they’re doing, hence the comment I made about the rocky chute Gisburn 😳 , also notice above at least two members of SingletrAction have a problem riding the trail at Stainburn 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

Soz no I mean back across the tarmac road, then to the left of the fire road that traverses to the car park.

We should all meet up at the drop, have a little party and ride the ****er to death.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Soz no I mean back across the tarmac road, then to the left of the fire road that traverses to the car par

I know this is a public forum and all that but can you clarify. Do you mean the where the fire road comes out near the top (hill) car park? I have never ridden down that bit.

We should all meet up at the drop, have a little party and ride the ****er to death.

That’s a very good idea – lots of peer pressure!! Thats all you need because there really shouldn’t be anything to it. But the second little set of roots just comes up and grabs my attention every time.

I still like GB/BKB although prefer to spend time on Pitch/Winterfold personally. I have yet to make it to Leith.

mattjg
    Free Member

Take a look on the northern (London) side of the fire road that runs from the reservoir to the ‘top’ car park, lots of tracks in there, not as steep as BKB, faster. Got it?

Lots of fun to be had on Leith too, and tea and cake at the tower.

Esme
    Free Member

I get very nervous if there’s a steep drop to the left of me, whereas it’s not a problem on the right 😕

Mugboo

Life would be rather dull if you never felt the fear 🙂

As for Kayaks comments about the Gethin DH, that’s why I’ll never dare ride DH..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Is it time to have a quick crack at BKB or the other stuff that mattjg mentions – good to beat the bad weather coming in? Anyone know what trail conditions are like at the mo?

lowey

Uneven steps. Also timber steps that look damp!

Shudders.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Bridges over wee burns and streams. Even though they’re often wider and more even and stable than the bits of trail that lead up to them, I invariably end up getting psyched out by them and walking across. 😳

rocketman
    Free Member

Not a fan of anything that involves tippy-toeing over rocks/roots/logs etc where the consequences of binning it outweigh the satisfaction of cleaning it. If I wanted to ride trials I would’ve bought a trials bike.

Much prefer faster, open flowy stuff.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Uphill steps such as Evil Root Number One and Evil Slab (neé Evil Root Number Two) at Cannock Chase. Given that I’m lacking certain ligaments in my knees, I find mashing up climbs impossible, and I also struggle to unweight/lift the front wheel. I have managed to clear both just by ploughing into them at speed, but I’ve also managed to roll down the hill backwards entangled in my bike. 🙁 So I just walk them.

And also, Werewolf Drop. Tackled worse up in Scotland (and even on the Monkey), but it’s just the combination of tight turning into and out of it, between narrow trees (normally with an audience) that I have trouble with. I’ve never even attempted it. :s

tyredbiker
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Is it time to have a quick crack at BKB or the other stuff that mattjg mentions – good to beat the bad weather coming in? Anyone know what trail conditions are like at the mo?

Recent rain has washed alot of the sand out of steep sections of the Surrey hills so a few more exposed roots and stones than were there at the start of this summer

D0NK

Another shaky gisburn fail pic

Complete none event, bit of mud started to slide, had a bit of a tank slapper moment an elegant(ish) dismount the bike ended up perfectly balanced.

Got a few bits of trail that give me the fear but most of them are perfectly rational, do tend to get a huge mince-on on tame stuff in the wet tho.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

At the bottom of the picnic bench in Leigh Woods Bristol, last corner, there is a TINY rock, about the size of a fag packet, yet in my mind it is the size of a hippo and will cause cetain death. It takes me a real force of will to just ignore it.

Similarly at the bottom of the knicker trail, there is a small drop/turn 90 degrees/squeeze bars through trees right at the bottom that I have never managed.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Any bits of trail that irrationally freak you out?’ is closed to new replies.