Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Anxiety and Depression
  • mildbore

Kryton57, you’ve just started a difficult journey, so it’s natural you feel weird, but in my opinion (having been through stuff myself, you are taking the best route in addressing the underlying causes of your illness. It will be challenging but ultimately rewarding, just remember to keep taking the next step and eventually you will get there. Good luck

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I didn’t notice a massive difference when I went on Citalopram, it must’ve been very gradual but i think it made a difference as I wasn’t as arsed about work which was (as I knew) the cause of my anxiety.
    & now that I’m part time I really couldn’t care less about the stuffing job! 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Coming to this late-ish, but isn’t:

Just back from the doc’s with Sertraline (50mg/day)

A high starting dose?

jamj1974

Yes, it is very normal to feel that way. Holding on for the ride was certainly good advice. It should settle down within a couple of weeks. If it doesn’t I would recommend a return to the docs. Keep us posted.

palmer77
    Free Member

thaneofcawdor – Member
    Just back from the doc’s with Sertraline (50mg/day) and a leaflet for a CBT self-referral.

The doctor says that Sertraline might make my A&D worse for a couple of weeks, but I want to start taking it so I can get through the stabilising period and onto feeling better.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

I had the sweats and a numb face with these, but it’s different for everyone, so don’t hesitate to speak to your doctor if you feel that something’s not right.

doorag
    Free Member

Hello

Reading the initial post (haven’t read the rest) is honestly like reading another version of how i feel. I find myself up in the same predicament.

I used to go to a therapist. She was against AD’s and heavily backed meditation. I tried for a bit but, like an idiot, stopped practising. It helped. Eventually i stopped going due to the cost and i started challenging her more than allowing her to help me, mainly through the same reason that cause all my relationships to suffer – mistrust.

I then went on AD’s. My advice is don’t. They’re **** up. Hard to come off. I got the brain zaps for a week. They’re not good for you unless there’s a neuro transmitter function issue and youre prepared to take them your whole life. They also damage the serotonin receptors over prolonged periods.

Meditation classes would be my ‘advice’. It helps flush the shit out your head. Everyone in the world should do it, me included. I do intend on picking it up again.

Changing lifestyle is the ultimate ideal but i find the difficulty there is that i feel the way i do which in turn makes it hard to make the change. Catch 22.

chakaping
    Free Member

Good work OP and Kryton.

🙂

mintimperial

Sertraline (50mg/day)

A high starting dose?[/quote]

50mg is standard initial dose for depression and is the smallest dose tablet you can get it in without snapping pills in half.

MoreCashThanDash

Esselgruntfuttock seems to have been living a parallel life with mine!

Quite enjoying the “not giving a ****” attitude the Citalopram has given me, but find I’m a little fuzzy headed even in a low dose, so in March I’m hoping to start coming off it. If I can’t keep up the new attitude without it, then I’ll have to rethink.

Great news on your progress too kryton

Kryton57

chakaping – Member
    Good work OP and Kryton.

This is the ops thread not mine, lets focus on him. I posted my content as it may help others as i just happened to be going through an issue and treatment at the same time. Regardless of the duration of the anxiety its hard to get out of the habit, so whether the meds, counselling or alternative treatment helps people its good to highlight.

And as ive learned keep at it – it takes time to come out of the habitual behaviours this can cause or be caused by but the simplest things can help. Its also good for everybody to know they are not alone.

cyclingmev
    Free Member

It’s a very personal journey, recovery from anxiety + depression, every one of us will have different reactions to medication. I had CBT and counselling +was adamant I wouldn’t go onto meds, but after about 6 months of struggling,it seemed the best option. It was a really difficult decision,but so far, beneficial as it’s helped me put things into perspective + get back out into the outdoors, which is helping me recover my boing. I still have work to do,but staying positive+keeping busy helps. It’s a new situation for me,brought on by events last year. It’s important you have good support, I’m lucky my husband has+still is amazing,my family too. Friends are worth their weight in gold.My counsellor asked what I wanted + I said to return to how I was. He said he didn’t want that, because I’d still be prone to anxiety. His aim is to get me back BETTER than I was, stronger mentally + emotionally. Made me think that we will get through it eventually, with patience + kindness, and we’ll be stronger for it + had the “privilege” of getting to know ourselves a lot better. Aye well, good lucks to you, tek care, look after yourself, x

Kryton57

For others benefit I just had my first councilling session. After 15 minutes of me talking, I could not believe how then the lady repeated all my personality traits back to me as if she’d lived my life for 40 yours.

I won’t go into detail here but from Mosey MTB’s thread:

mildbore – Member

I’ve suffered from panic attacks for years and they can be very scarey. The key for me was realising they are generated internally not by external circumstances. Once I knew that I treated them like a sneezing fit or similar, just get through it, reset, carry on. This begins to shrink their power

This. We both think we now know the internalised source of the problem and I begin my journey to reduce its impact / remove it.

I’d recommended councelling if you’re thinking should I / shouldn’t I.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Positive news, does this realisation mean we won’t be seeing so many “what new stiff threads” ? 😉 a sacrafice for us as we enjoy them but a small one to make … onwards @Kryton

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Anxiety and Depression’ is closed to new replies.