Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Anthem info please
  • granny_ring

Thinking now of having a lightweight full sus bike as well as a longer travel one.
    Athems seem to get pretty good reviews on here so some info would help loads.

How much does the small frame weigh, do you need a lock out shock (as I’ve had on other bikes) or does a cheaper shock without work ok without bobbing?

The top tube seems fairly long for the size of frame. What is the standard stem length on the small size frame and how short can you go using 100mm & 120mm travel without the steering getting too quick.

TIA

IanW
    Free Member

From memory my medium was 2.4kg including the shock and a 595mm ctc top tube making about average length.

I never felt the need to lock out the shock, twas fine. Don’t know about the stem length a medium came with 100mm and i never changed it seem ok.

Very nice bike good for a bit of everything.

dyls

I’m 5’10” and ride a medium anthem, stem seems like it is around 100mm. There is lockout on the front fork, but I never use it. No lockout on the rear – don’t need

More impressive is for some reason it feels like more than 100mm travel on the downhills.

racefaceec90

i had a 2010 anthem x2.it was a great bike (never once did i lock out the rear shock/fox rp2).i only p/x’ed due to servicing costs (and wanting to go back to a steel ht).great bikes 😀

Cant answer any of your questions but can tell you they are ace bikes. Just as capable a the Orange 5 it replaced (Actually better IMHO)

Very cheap from pedal on atm

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_anthem_x2.html

granny_ring

Anybody run them at 120mm and does it change the feel much?

ac282

I think my medium weighed ~ 2.3 kg. I have a rp23 shock and used to run it in position 1 most of the time. I’ve just had my shock serviced and pushed and now I can just leave it alone in open. Given that the complete bikes are much better value than the frame only option I took, I wouldn’t hesitate to get one with a more basic shock and then get it tuned.

stratman
    Free Member

I’ve a 2011 x1 – my first full suss after an Indian Fire Trail. The X1 is lighter (c25lb with pedals). It’s medium and I’m c 5’10, but shortish legs and longer body. Fits fine with the longish stem. The fork has remote lock out – which I use a lot as I often climb on roads and I’m a bit of a masher. The rear is an RP23, which I tend to leave in propedal unless I’m going downhill. Only got it a couple of months ago so still getting used to it, but so far I love it. Pedal on have them at the moment

rainbow
    Free Member

I own 2011 Giant Anthem X4, upgraded to Shimano SLX groupset and it’s 22″ frame (XL), it weigh a good 28 pounds.

dallas95
    Free Member

Anybody run them at 120mm and does it change the feel much?

I run Reba 120’s up front with a 15mm through axle. I always liked the stock set up but because the bike is so good I got faster on the downhills and needed more fork. This is a perfect trail bike for me. I never lock out and don’t get much bob but I’m light (72kg).

It weighs 25.7LB as built up below.

granny_ring

Looks nice dallas. Would the steering be ok using a 70mm stem running @120?

Any idea how much the rebas weigh?

dallas95
    Free Member

I use a 80mm stem and its bang on for me. 70mm shouldn’t be a problem. The rebas weigh about 1600g including the axle. i can’t remember the exact number but I did weigh them when I got them and couldn’t believe how light they were. I got them from Merlin for under £300 with the VIP discount, Bargain.

granny_ring

Thanks, food for thought.
    If I get a 2011 bike what reducer headset would I need to run 1″1/8 forks as I would like to have he option of running 100-120 forks.?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“How much does the small frame weigh, do you need a lock out shock (as I’ve had on other bikes) or does a cheaper shock without work ok without bobbing?”

I’ve got a 2011 X2 (small) but sorry I haven’t got a clue how much it weighs, but its a dam sight more agile and light feeling than my old full susser which weighed roughly the same when you picked the 2 up side by side.

It doesnt need an RP23 shock, the RP2 is just fine, and I have never suffered from bob (80kg)

I think the top tube length is average to be honest, certainly not half as long as other racey bikes I have ridden, so I cant see why you would want to put a shorter stem on unless you have really short body/arms?!

Personally I think the 100mm travel all round is perfect and the bike is very well balanced. I used to ride a 130mm travel and in many ways the Anthem is much much better than my old bike, as has been said above, the bike feels like it has much more travel. The only time I notice the difference is on high speed decents when the front end gets very slightly harsher (thats not the same as running out of travel)

skywalker
    Free Member

That Antfarm look pretty nice

granny_ring

Cheers for your feed back too FunkyDunc, yeah unfortunately long legs short body so pain in the ar*e to get a proper fit.
    Whats the stem length on the small?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry only just got round to looking at my bike. Its a 90mm stem.

enigmas
    Free Member

Got a 2011 x4 as well, just like to put my 2 cents worth in and say its an amazing bike!, fastest bike ive owned on the ups and downs.

You don’t need a shock with lockout, ive got a float fox r on mine and even if off the saddle sprinting i find it only moves about 10mm at most.

Gotta love maestro 😀

granny_ring

Cheers Funkydunk.
    Was set to buy an Anthem but going to try one of those cheap cube frames first as I couldn’t resist at the price.
    If it doesn’t work out I’ll get a cheap Anthem and swap out parts to lighten it up.

transapp
    Free Member

Just to add, at 6′ and 85kg with long legs and small upper body, I ride a large with a 70mm stem and 130 forks (set very soft so lots of sag, more like standard 120) and it’s great. I do use the lock out on the rear shock, but only on long road climbs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Anthem info please’ is closed to new replies.