Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Another "what car" thread: Golf, Astra or Focus
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not sure what that proves, mind

It just proves that there isn't a particular type of car/driver that is significantly more likely to crash (apart from maybe <25yr old males).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Concealed exits you can see? Well if you can't see them, you aren't looking hard enough.

The Jimny is five years old, has 22k miles on it, has ABS, airbags and traction control. It's also so small that nothing hits it because it misses. You can nip through gaps that almost nothing else can. Yes crashing in it would be bad news but it's very good at avoiding crashes and safer than many new cars available today.

Okay then, compare "like for like" though – 105PS Passat has smaller brakes, softer and bouncier suspension so the car dives and weaves under heavy braking, much less torque for quick overtaking and is probably no better on fuel than the 170PS one. Both will be driven by angry reps/drivers that wish they could afford a BMW/Audi/Merc which ups the danger levels manyfold. 😆 😉

Now what additional driver training have you had? That's training that helps you be more aware and therefore safer. Seeing as safety appears to be your primary concern, and that apparently crawling along like a slug is THE safest way to drive, I suggest you sell the Prius and the Passat and get yourself an Austin Maxi.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

get yourself an Austin Maxi.

The one with the 1750 engine and twin Weber carb on it? It was pretty pokey back in the day (for its class) actually…

Ufck – I have just shown my age 🙁

1972: Introduction of the Maxi 1750 HL, with twin SU HS6 carburettor version of the 1748 cc engine, which gave a higher output of 91 bhp (68 kW) at 5250 rpm.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Dammit – a 1.3 Morris Marina then…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

🙂

I knew someone who had transplanted one into a Mini (it was quite a popular 'upgrade').

It was quite mental.

molgrips
    Free Member

Concealed exits you can see? Well if you can't see them, you aren't looking hard enough.

Daft.

It's also so small that nothing hits it because it misses. You can nip through gaps that almost nothing else can

OMFG you are trying to persuade me you are a safe driver and you say stuff like that? 😯

Now what additional driver training have you had?

Don't start that bullsh*t again.

Seeing as safety appears to be your primary concern, and that apparently crawling along like a slug

WTF? All I said was that power on public roads is a mug's game. I said nothing at all about 'crawling along'. Give up the f*cking cretinous wheedling disingenuous straw man vacuous f*cking spin doctor SH*T and try being HONEST with yourself and finding some proper arguments to bring to the next discussion.

You personally may drive safely, fine. No problem with that. But the fact remains that if you think higher power cars are intrinsically safer due to their power then you are in bloody cloud cuckoo self-justification land. You bought a fast car because you LIKE driving fast, of course you did, stop kidding yourself that it makes you safer.

You've got me bloody annoyed now 👿

I reckon Mat has it in for Audi drivers to divert attention from BMW drivers 😉

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

The Jimny thing was tongue in check you daft git. Hang on though – I thought slow meant "safe?" It's certainly very safe when it snows/floods. Much safer than your super slidey Prius or Passat. 😉

You're just jealous that my stealth bomber is much faster and nicer your faux eco car and your middle ages man's rep special/poor man's Audi. 😉

I took the time and considerable effort to take advanced lessons with the primary goal of being SAFER not faster. That's why I have never had a point on my license or a crash – not even "accidentally" driving into someone which TBH, isn't exactly the smartest of driving errors. So what was that about safe driving? 😉

Not all higher powered cars are safer – crash in an Elise or a Caterham and you are in deep deep trouble. However I'd feel very safe in a well made car like a 911 Turbo (4WD, one of the best stopping distances of any road car, etc).

Audis are the new BMW – I knew this way before Clarkson mentioned it (as did most other drivers in the know). 😉

Ner ner ner ner ner. 😆

And now Mol blew several more blood vessels… 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok, sorry for getting annoyed. But really, a bit of honesty. Accept that you COULD have a greener but slower car, but you like the faster one simply cos it's fun…

Btw the Prius and the Passat were probably the only cars that got up our hill in the snow. That was quite possibly due to driver skill tho 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well the most skilled driver in the World gets nowhere in a BMW at the merest hint of a snowflake. Luckily the Jimny is the Scandies "snow car" of choice…

molgrips
    Free Member

And Priuses are not bad cars.

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Another "what car" thread: Golf, Astra or Focus’ is closed to new replies.