Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Another "what car" thread: Golf, Astra or Focus
  • spacemonkey

For those of you not yet bored with these threads, here be another for you to share your wisdom.

We're looking for an 05-07 flavoured one of the above. Must be an auto (because the better half only drives autos) and have decent spec. It's going to replace the Freelander which was sold this morning because we don't need two "big" cars. Will mainly be used for ferrying the new arrival (as of September) and generally pootling about.

Have already asked around and done my usual research, so what sayeth the STW massive?

Cheers
    SM

loddrik
    Free Member

Golf tdi with DSG all the way. Got the same engine and gearbox in a touran and it is excellent.

Ford has recently introduced a similar 'box call powershift but it isn't available for the years you are looking at. The ford drives a touch better but the golf is a much better ownership car. Better built, much better residuals etc

As for vauxhall, sorry but it isn't worth commenting on let alone purchasing…

theflatboy
    Free Member

Focus Estate.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you want auto, I'd have to go with Loddrik and say Golf. The VW DSG box is brilliant, and what you'd get on a much more expensive car. Top bit of kit. Also see if you can get one with the flappy paddles on it for added fun 🙂

Worth noting that Jettas are a lot cheaper than Golfs despite being identical from the rear seats forward. Presumably because everyone thinks 'golfgolfgolfgolf'. Also, Passats are cheaper too in saloon form because they look like boring reps cars but are in fact excellent. If a little more thirsty.

orena45

I've got an 2006 Astra (manual, 1.6 SXi). Been very happy with it and have had no trouble. Get on average 38mpg (up to 45mpg on motorways) and enough room for me, Mrs orena45 and our 7 month old and paraphanalia (sp?).

Mrs has a Y-reg Corsa automatic with the Tiptronic gearbox and although I'm not a fan of auto's I have to say it is pretty good in terms of acceleration when needed and fuel economy.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I had a 2005 Astra 1.9CDTi 150 estate from new and it was very good – however their auto boxes are cr4p as are Fords.

Golf with DSG or full auto – best made, handles well, good gearboxes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Prob too new for you, but there is a new 7-speed auto on VWs which is a slightly different design and consequently is MORE economical than the manual.

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

Just don't get a mk4 golf, unless you like either rolling around when you take corners, or having your fillings shaken out with the unreasonably hard suspension that is needed to compensate for the poor dynamics…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Agreed – apart from the R32, the mk4 Golf is a tragically poor handler.

molgrips
    Free Member

MkV at that age isn't it? MkVI is the one just come out 2009 I think…

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

my mk4 tdi has blown its engine now! only done 100k miles. terrible car.

I think the whole VAG group is overrated and overpriced. If i was buying again i'd get a Ford or Mazda or something.

If the OP is looking at a 05-07 model year, it should be a Mk5 Golf, which all got pretty good reviews.

I remember looking at them around 07 and quite taking a fancy to the Golf GT Sport 1.4 TSI.

catnash
    Free Member

Had those choices last year, ended up with a civic. The focus was second and the Golf a close third. The Astra was the worse for driving.

spacemonkey

Hmm, interesting comments chaps.

I've never owned a Golf but I thought they'd stayed still a little while the rest of the pack were catching up (specifically in terms of driver feedback, fittings, switchgear, etc). Hence wondering if it was worth spending the extra. DSG is an option, but depends on VFM.

@molgrips: I thought the Mk5 came out in 03/04? That's the one I'd be more inclined to go for over the Mk4.

She's only going to be doing 3-5000 miles/year so no need for a diesel.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Astra but IMO they've improved a lot in recent years, plus the Focus always seems to come out well in tests.

@Surf-Mat: why do you say their autos are cr4p?

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

much better residuals

But you still loose more money –

I worked it out when we bought our current car. A comparable spec/milage/age Golf costs a lot more to buy than a Focus or Astra, and you simply loose more money on them, although less % wise….

Do the sums…… 🙂

spacemonkey

Had those choices last year, ended up with a civic

Aye, been thinking about these too. Did you go for the Geordi la Forge model? Impressed?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Can't go wrong with a MK V Golf which is what 05-07 will be. More expensive but will hold its value better.

Focus is also very good, but not as good as the Golf. Don't know about the auto boxes.

Whatever you do avoid the Astra. Drove one as a rental car this week and could not believe how truly awful it was in every respect compared to the Golf and Focus.

A lot more information on the good, bad and ugly including which models to go for at Honest John

cynic-al
    Free Member

Geordi la Forge model

*sniggers*

molgrips
    Free Member

my mk4 tdi has blown its engine now! only done 100k miles

What was wrong with it?

Civics are very nice, but you can only get the auto in the petrol.

To be honest it's all dependent on what's available near you with the kit you want. At least, that's how I see it 🙂

But yes, Golfs cost a lot but Jettas don't – and they are good. I'd have had one if they cheaper one that I was looking at hadn't been sold.

clubber
    Free Member

Very happy with our 06 Focus. Drives well, reasonably frugal and if anything went wrong spare parts are cheap. Plenty of second hand ones to choose from too.

spacemonkey

@CaptainMainwaring: agreed with HJ, I've been using his site for years (and loads of others).

Hmm, looks like Focus (for VFM) > Golf > Astra at the mo …

catnash
    Free Member

My budget was below 10k had a bargain from a dealer from civinfo. ES with most of the toys. The Golf I was after I found out through honest john better to use only super unleaded.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I hated my '05 (dis)Astra. Underpowered (even though it was a 1.8SRi), rattly, prone to faults. It was comfortable on a long journey and looked quite nice (coupe version) but the faults easily outweighed the benefits – I couldn't wait to hand it back to the lease company when its 3 years were up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ford are really stingy with their toys tho, that may affect you. It did me.

br
    Free Member

I had a 2005 Astra 1.9CDTi 150 estate from new and it was very good – however their auto boxes are cr4p as are Fords.

Rubbish, you can't lump GM autoboxes in with Ford ones – they've always been decent.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why Molgrips? You always throw your toys out of the pram anyway.

😉

Had a Civic (current shape). Can't really comment on the engines you're looking at or the auto box as mine was the Type R. But build quality and reliability were superb. Honda servicing is also very reasonable and their customer service/aftercare was fantastic. My only gripe about the Civic is the visibility not being great which also made it a bit tricky to park.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Rubbish, you can't lump GM autoboxes in with Ford ones – they've always been decent.

Oh yes you can:

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

What was wrong with it?

head gasket. I think its leaking exhaust into the coolant, pressurising it and forcing it out the overflow. Garage found no external leaks, only happens under hard acceleration or > 70mph motorway driving. Seems to be lots of other complaints about the same problem …
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tdi+115+head+gasket

They still seem to fetch a reasonable amount 2nd hand though.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Oh darn – pasting error:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM-Ford_6-speed_automatic_transmission

jools182
    Free Member

Golf every time

Ford and Vauxhall are still lagging behind in the build quality stakes

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Ford and vx were on a par with VW recently but have really slipped this year.

That's not what you said on the Audi thread, Matt. 😉

So Fords aren't really as good as Audis (or VWs) after all?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mike – I just did a load of checking up for 2010 – Audi has slipped a bit too but not as much as Ford and Vx – they've plummeted!

Note that Skoda beats Audi and VW yet people will still fall for the VW/Audi badge in droves.

A bit shocked at some of the Jap manufacturers – some have done very badly.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So Fords aren't really as good as Audis (or VWs) after all?

LOL BUSTED

Inbred456
    Free Member

My wife has a Focus estate and I have a golf tdi estate. The Focus is better in every way. Handles better, more reliable, parts are cheaper, better spec for the cash. As somebody mentioned in a post from above if you want to make a statement that you can throw money away buy the Golf!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

LOL BUSTED

Not as busted as you are by BMW front wheel drive man … 😉

Focus still handles better than a Golf, Astra still has better diesel engines than a Golf. But in 2010, the Golf utterly blasted both on the JD Power survey. For the last two years it's been very close (Focus beat the Golf a couple of times).

Inbred456
    Free Member

Surf Mat where is your data from? This is from Warranty Direct the only one I would trust. Higher is worse lower is better. We seem to have a difference of opinion!

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/man_index_2.html?apc=3128339010848601&searchtype=relindex

Suzuki wipes the floor with everything else. Audi has done poorly mainly due to its air suspension I'd guess.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Inbred – they could have put that table in order!

Mine is the 2010 JD Power survey.

I hate Warranty Direct with a passion (had very bad service from them) so I'll use my table!

Looks like my 3 favourites – Honda, Audi and BMW are doing OK – according to that JD Power table.

If Skoda, VW or Seat made a TT, I'd have no problem with their badge being on it (same applies to Ford/Vauxhall if I felt their build quality and reliability was up to scratch). Closest to a TT from the VAG range is the VW Scirocco, which I don't really like the look of, and the boot aperture is a lot smaller than the TT's, so not as good for putting my bike in and out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Another "what car" thread: Golf, Astra or Focus’ is closed to new replies.