Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Another question for the guitarists in the house
  • mactheknife

As i got a great load of replies last time i thought i would ask another question,

I started playing a few months ago and so far its been going extremely well, much better that expected, loads of chords mastered, changes are getting quicker, smoother and more accurate.

But up till now i have been strumming with the edge of my thumb which sounds and feels good. I recently had a couple of lessons and the teacher introduced me to using a plectrum. Now for the life of me i cannot use the bloody thing without the most horrible noise coming from the guitar. Nothing sounds smooth, just harsh. I have tried trailing it a bit like a paintbrush which is fine until the upstroke.

Please tell me it gets better with practise and if so whats the best technique.

Cheers all 😀

toab
    Free Member

Just practice really, make sure you’re using the thinnest plecs you can get to start off with as they’re more flexible and easier to use.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Yes, just practice. Firm but relaxed grip. It will sound a bit harsh compared to your thumb but slow down and try to make a good sound. There are lots of techniques and sounds you can make with a plectrum so it’s important to learn to use it. 0.6mm Jim Dunlop for me. Stiff enough for a nice crisp sound. Good to hear your works paying off and most importantly that your enjoying it. Well done.

mactheknife

Yep i thought it was just a case of practice, practice and more practice.

Cheers for the replies 😀

And yep ablolutely love it so far.

Albanach
    Free Member

Just practice really, make sure you’re using the thinnest plecs you can get to start off with as they’re more flexible and easier to use.

+1

flip
    Free Member

Indeed well done just practice, i made big advances in a year or so but strumming technique comes with feel and practice, my bro whose very good finds it hard to explain how to do it cus its just instinct. Which sorts the Hendrix types from the also rans.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I agree plectrums are crap, i can use them, I just choose not too.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

I play with a pick, but I don’t play nearly as well as Jeff Beck, who does not use one.

There are many famous guitarists who play[ed] without a pick. Find a recording of Wes Montgomery, who also played with his thumb.

I say do whatever makes the sounds you like and don’t listen to…me.

jason221
    Free Member

Yes most importantly that your enjoying it. Well done.

grievoustim
    Free Member

not sure if you are playing electric or acoustic – I prefer to use my fingers when playing acoustic and a pick when on the electric

As others have said – there is no “right” way, so if you are happier with finger style then do it,

You only really “need” a pick when you are playing proper riffy rock and metal (for the extra attack you get from the pick) IMO

mactheknife

grevioustim – its acoustic matey, got an electric i mess about with but im concentrating on the acoustic i bought.

Id like to learn to play with the pick and then decide whether its right for me if u know what i mean.

Junkyard
    Free Member

acoustic does not require a pick use your thumb /fingers.
    or decide for yourself.

mactheknife

coolio, thanks again 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

Strumming nearer the neck will give a warmer fuller tone than if you pick right near the bridge.

adstick
    Free Member

I like the sound of both. I’ve only recently learned to use a pick, but I hated when I was at your stage. Having learned the basics with my fingers the advantages of a pick only matter now, and I still use my fingers for lots of stuff. My best bits of advice are – watch youtube and other players and listen to lots of different music. There’s no right way to play guitar.

BigJohn

My teacher is a finger man. He’s also the Keef in a Stones tribute band (also the only one who doesn’t have to change and make up – he really lives it…).

The only time he uses a pick is the solo on (come up and see me make me) Smile by Cockney Rebel (that’s when he’s not being a Stone)

As a result. I don’t use a pick either and it’s all fine.

camo16
    Free Member

My teacher is a finger man.

And he’s allowed to teach, BigJohn? 😯

Unbelievable double standard!

grum
    Free Member

There’s lots of fairly experienced singer-songwriter types that strum the crap out of acoustic guitars with a plectrum and it sounds horrible imo – really harsh tone. As above don’t feel you need to use a pick.

BigJohn

Apparently my prostate is fine.

emsz
    Free Member

It’s useful to learn as many styles as you can, couple of months ago I was all about sliders, ATM I’m doing country. Yee hah! LOL

camo16
    Free Member

I’d use a pick unless I was planning on mastering folk-styled finger picking or flamenco… plectrums offer more versatility for synopated strumming and picking single notes IMO, but they do take time to get used to.

Picks are worth it. Try to keep the pick parallel to the strings, so your downstroke and upstroke are equal.

BigJohn, great news about the prostate. I’m off to see if I can’t look up my old teacher for a bit of extra ‘tuition’.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Another question for the guitarists in the house’ is closed to new replies.