Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Another hi-fi question…
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just bought a new AV reciever ‘cos the last one blew a channel, currently have a DVD player and a Cambridge Audio CD player hooked up to it, CD player is a good one but at least 15yrs old.

If i buy a Blu-ray player to combine the duties of the two machines, will i notice a difference in sound quality when playing CD’s?

My thinking is that the Cambridge machine is a dedicated music player so in theory should be good but it is quite old now though in perfect working order.

Cougar

One way to find out. Worse case scenario, you can still use the old one.

TBH, I doubt it’ll make a great deal of difference either way, for any sort of practical purposes.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Probably not, MsD is pushing for me to buy the Blu-ray so she can watch her discs – suppose it’ll give me an axcuse to buy Spartacus:Blood and Sand series 😆

Cougar

I made the leap recently. It’s worth it just for HDMI interconnects and removal of a metric shitload of cabling.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That thought had occured to me as well! The new reciever needs HDMI to open up a whole raft of tuning options that only show up on a HDMI-enabled TV so i need to buy some new cables anyway…

chupucabra
    Free Member

The dac in the dvd will be about a gazillion generations newer. I used to sell C/audio stuff and even their top end players like the d500 dacs were never that high spec to begin with.

So…..the dvd player should in theory sound better through analog connections,for a digital connection, there probably wont be much in it if the av amp has an onboard dac.but try both and see which you prefer.

That’s not been a lot of help has it really ?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

😕 😆

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I’ve been using a PS3 optical out for CD playback into an Arcam black box 5 (in lieu of the delta 170.3 transport). I preferred the delta 170.3

i went back to the 170.3 as soon as i replaced the door belt!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Another hi-fi question…’ is closed to new replies.