Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Another day on the Qs(pics)
  • knottie8
    Free Member

After a great day out yesterday I just had to get out again today. I gathered a group and set out on an easy ride with no big hills so I could justify riding SS. Well we rode across the top to beacon hill trig point and then dropped down through weacombe woods at silly speed. Mmmmm that meant a big(BIG) climb back up ! Anyway I sure all enjoyed the ride even if JP was “hanging” before we even left the carpark at the start. No grub stop today but Andy knocked up the teas at the finish in his VW camper. Comments ?

Click the above pic for more pics or http://www.paul-knott.fotopic.net/c1898250.html
    cant link the pic for some reason ?
    Oh and yesterdays pics are there too.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

So is another STW Qs caper on the cards then?

knottie8
    Free Member

I think so , it will be a matter of sorting a date when the main players are free.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hareydan
    Free Member

I was up there today, dry and not too cold, fantastic! Did a couple of the downhill tracks near Triscombe rather than head out into the coombes, it made a nice change.

knottie8
    Free Member

I keep thinking about putting my play bike back together and having a blast over at Triscombe dh trails.

DJ
    Free Member

Had a cracking riding on the Q’s on Sunday. 5 of us. Started at CPG, went along the ridge, down Slaughterhouse Combe, up Lady’s Edge, down Longstone Hill then Willoghby Cleeve, down to Holford then up Holford Combe and Lady’s Combe, Up the road and then up Gasline and to the trig point and back down to Crowcombe Park Gate to finish. Only 10 miles but a bit of a different ride to normal. Good conditions up there at the moment.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I recently got given some free train tickets when I renewed my first great western season ticket.

Also I noticed the train time from Reading to Taunton is only 1:30 mins.

Would it be possible to do a decent ride in the quatocks starting from Taunton ?

Is most of the good riding in the south or the north or all over ?

sharki
    Free Member

From Taunton station you’ll have about a 10 mile road ride up into the hills, some of that is one long but steady climb, but nothing to bad, just save yourself for the real hills.

It’s likely you’ll join the off road bits at Lydeard Hill car park and then follow the ridge to crowcombe, enjoying the views east and west, there are forest trails east of triscombe around cockercombe, though these are mostly DH runs or forest tracks, great wood has the classic Chimney and a couple other non forest track trails.

North of the crowcombe to over stowey road, is where most of the riding is, holford combe, hodders, somerton, weacombe, smiths etc…

You maybe able to cadge a lift from locals if you plan a head and if the above STW ride gets going, there will be a lift sorted for you to save you legs.

Knottie, set a date, i may just make a return visit just for that.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Its 7 miles (uphill most of the way) from the station to Lydeard Hill car park, there’s plenty of good riding at the Southern end but its probably harder to find due to the tree cover. Once you’re up at Lydeard Hill it doesn’t take too long to get to the Northern end either, and when you’ve finished you’ve got a 7 mile mostly downhill ride back to Taunton to look forward to.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Another day on the Qs(pics)’ is closed to new replies.