Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • annoying phrases
  • marco
    Free Member

Ok
    Bit bored at work and pondering on some really annoying & p.ss boiling phrases etc!
    Mostly what i read in the magazines & forums. Here goes.
    1. Dialed in! – as in dial in suspension, can we not just say adjust?
    2. Session – how about practice that certain section?
    3. Come up big/small – WTF?? come up?? does not make sense in any grammatical way what so ever. My tyres/shorts/p.ss bag come up short/long/??
    4.Swap out – can we just not say swap?
    5. Niche – F..k off. Pretentious wannabes
    6. Talk to me about? – how about doing a bit of old-fashioned research.
    7. What tyres for? – again research is a key word
    8. Think thats it! anyone else got something that makes em cringe?

Pretentious wannabes

Three_Fish
    Free Member

9. Lists of phrases that annoy somebody else.

marco
    Free Member

Three fish
    I was hoping for a bit of banter here
    Not the usual STW response
    C’mon folks, there must be something that really gets your goat?

geoffj

p*ss boiling – why not just VERY annoying?

EDIT: Actually, I’m with you on most of that especially the swap out

oh and colourway 😈

rossi46
    Free Member

Gnarly dude- why not just say ‘That rather rough bit of singletrack was rather splendid me ol china’

rossi46
    Free Member

Phat air- In plain English means Pretty high up…

Garry_Lager

Finishing kit.

Please get tae fk with that. How does a stem ‘finish’ a bicycle? It is a functionally integral part of the machine – it doesn’t work if you don’t have one.

marco
    Free Member

geoffj – sorry, just makes me laugh, as if something could actually boil your p.ss!! sorry
    rossi46 – agree
    garry lager – agree
    anyone else? c’mon guys, this time of night there must be something?

Northwind

Sessioning works fine- it took you 4 words to come up with an ugly clunky alternative.

Mate of mine keeps saying things are “sketch”. Which is short for sketchy. Which used to have a pretty specific and logical meaning, but now apparently is a sort of universal word with no implicit meaning of its own. That bit of trail is sketchy (muddy). That bike is sketchy (badly maintained). That landing was sketchy (just not very good).

So sketchy is fairly annoying but describing whole days out as “That was sketch”, you might as well just say “That was, er…. duh…”

jimjam
    Free Member

Three_Fish – Member

9. Lists of phrases that annoy somebody else.

Second that.

rossi46
    Free Member

Not to do with bikes and just cos im from London:

Disaffected Youth- In other words lazy young people who want everything for free and dont want to have to go to work!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“colorway”

urgh

marco
    Free Member

Northwind
    Wouldnt say its an ugly clunky alternative?. There is not really an alternative to a mountain biking phrase!
    Oxford dictionary definition of SESSION:

1 a meeting of an official body, especially a legislature, council, or court of law, to conduct its business:
    the governor called this week’s special session to reconsider the decisiona period during which an official body meets regularly to conduct its business:
    legislation to curb wildcat strikes will be introduced during the coming parliamentary sessionthe part of a year or of a day during which teaching takes place in a school or college. 2 [often with modifier] a period devoted to a particular activity:
    gym is followed by a training sessiona period of recording music in a studio, especially by a session musician:
    he did the sessions for a Great Country Hits albuminformal a period of heavy or sustained drinking:
    it was one hell of a session — we must have drunk about 12 cocktails each3 the governing body of a Presbyterian Church

C,mon guys, just trying to have a laugh!
    Oh and Jimjam – second that?? that all you got to add??

scoobmw
    Free Member

dab

mildred

My Bad – ???????

LOL, ROFL, M8 – in fact any text talk.

Huck – oh please… Huck Off.

jimjam
    Free Member

marco
    C,mon guys, just trying to have a laugh!
    Oh and Jimjam – second that?? that all you got to add??

Okay, I’ll indulge you. Samuel Johnson said the following, regarding his ten year long effort to write a standardised english dictionairy. I’ll just echo his sentiments and hope that some of his wisdom rubs off on me.

Those who have been persuaded to think well of my design , require that it should fix our language, and put a stop to those alterations which time and chance have hitherto been suffered to make in it without opposition. With this consequence I will confess that I flattered myself for a while; but now begin to fear that I have indulged expectation which neither reason nor experience can justify. When we see men grow old and die at a certain time one after another, from century to century, we laugh at the elixir that promises to prolong life to a thousand years; and with equal justice may the lexicographer be derided, who being able to produce no example of a nation that has preserved their words and phrases from mutability, shall imagine that his dictionary can embalm his language, and secure it from corruption and decay, that it is in his power to change sublunary nature, or clear the world at once from folly, vanity, and affectation.

With this hope, however, academies have been instituted, to guard the avenues of their languages, to retain fugitives, and repulse intruders; but their vigilance and activity have hitherto been vain; sounds are too volatile and subtile for legal restraints; to enchain syllables, and to lash the wind, are equally the undertakings of pride, unwilling to measure its desires by its strength.

Garry_Lager

Who is saying colourway? Never heard the word, is that a magazine thing? And WTF does it mean – is it just colour?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Means the same as Colour Scheme, I think.

Ocean Colorway

PJM1974
    Free Member

+137 for Colourway.

I’m going to start boycotting brands who use the term in their press literature.

leffeboy

‘Thanks in advance’ at the end of an email winds me up – for no good reason.

oh, and ‘going forward’ gets me as well but I think we’ve been through that one before

RagTi
    Free Member

heard an “older rider” (about 46ish)at AE ? talking about his mates crash, he said he came round that last berm and “washed out”

Stupid phrase, sounded even more stupid coming out of some old fuk clearly trying to be a bit Rad in front of his mates!. And yes he did have a 5 with colour matched rims.

topangarider
    Free Member

washed out?!?! Balls.

Much prefer “went ar5e over t1t!”

Say it how it is.

mrbump
    Free Member

at first i was annoyed by this thread,that was until i just realised that i hate the phrase ‘stoked’ which seems to apear in every single downhill interview, gravity based riding video.
    i also dislike people picking faults on other people spelling and gramar on fourms.

Pyro

“Washed out” is a specific term, though. Means the front wheel slipping sideways in a turn and parking you on your ar#e, same as a “low side” in Moto. So it might either have been proper usage or, as you say, horrendous misuse.

‘Huck’ is one that always gets me, in both biking and kayaking. Same with ‘nailing/pinning it’ – so you got through a bit of trail without crashing. Good for you…

higthepig
    Free Member

Rocked up,
    Cockpit,
    +1 My Bad
    +1 Talk to me about

Not bike related:
    At this moment in time,

kerv
    Free Member

Calling someone in their forties an “old F*k”

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve never been happy with ‘stoked’ but nothing more than a minor annoyance.

“Dark Side” is also an area of minor irritation but hey, it’s a free world.

Not a phrase, but SO makes me want to puke.

Swap out has always riled me too.

timmys

Those french words used for water bottle and food. Maybe if you’re a leg shaving lycra fetisher that’s OK but it certainly isn’t appropriate to any form of mountain biking.

(and the obvious colourway, steed, rig, quiver, session, pinned, etc.)

_tom_
    Free Member

Words like stoked and gnarly sound a bit wrong when British people say them. I can tolerate it from Americans though. Dark side is annoying as well.

Jamie
    Free Member

higthepig:

Rocked up

I cams here to say this.

*dons flak jacket*

I quite like the word colourway.

mastineo
    Free Member

At this moment in time

+1

Do you mean ‘now’?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Swmbo SO or owt like that, wife, partner, Mrs, gf are fine

My bad

“Needs swapped” should be needs swapping or needs TO BE swapped

That will do for now

Euro
    Free Member

kerv – Member

Calling someone in their forties an “old F*k”

You tell’em grandad. We prefer the term ‘middle-aged f*k.

The terms Physical and Mental skill sets annoy me a bit. Management speak should be confined to boardrooms and golf courses where it belongs. I ride for fun and hearing/reading this reminds me of work. Which I don’t like. Nope.

yossarian
    Free Member

Trailquesting

What? What?? Do you think you are frodo baggins or something? Orienteering is what we called it in the scouts and orienteering is what it’s called by everyone else not attempting to glamourise what is essentially a **** boring pastime. Try dungeons and dragons you losers, you’ll probably love it.
    🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Most of this is evolution of language…no problem with that.

Influx of US terms like colorway? Not bothered.

You lot need to get laid more! Anyway I’m off to pleasure my woman.

rOcKeTdOg

“Trailhead” might be ok in the states but sounds silly when riding in the south midlands

boblo
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Anyway I’m off to pleasure my woman

Just you and the mirror again Al? 🙂

Fire road… again from the US, we have perfectly good Landrover Tracks thankyou
    Road Trip… OK for 4000 miles accross Route 66, but Birmingham to Cleethorpes.. Really?

yossarian
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘annoying phrases’ is closed to new replies.