Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Annecy
  • Smiker
    Free Member

XC riding in Annecy. Who’s done it? I’m planning on going with some friends in summer. Any tips or suggestions?

All help is appreciated!

Smiker

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dont plan to drive through it at any time during the day, its gridlock – took over an hour to get from one end to the other at 6pm last summer!

The mountains nearby do look appealing, but I have no experience – always passed through to Les Arcs.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

just passed through there twice on the way to and back from Les Arcs.

The town, lake and mountains look beautiful but no idea on the off-road riding.

There are hundreds of families riding on-road up and down the hills tho…

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

We used to run holidays in La Clusaz just “up the hill” from Annecy, up to about four years ago. I really liked the place. It’s great for Alpine XC, smaller more intimate and a LOT prettier than most resorts in the area, but lively enough and with everything you need in the town. Some great loops out across Danay and Grand Bornand too, and enough lifts to link it all up. There was a nice, twisty downhill course too.

A great place for a really chilled week of riding, and a nice alternative to the usual ‘cattle truck’ resorts.

Gilles

I came from Annecy, best town on the planet when quiet. LE Semnoz on the East side of the Lake has some signposted MTB trails, so you can give a go. I believe bus can take you to the top. On the west side of the lake, you’ve got the Parmelan. I used to do the GR on the top but it’s not great, you have to carry your bike a lot, but going back to the town is very nice but not really exposed. Toward La Balme is too flat, and I haven’t explore enough on the other side of the Lake (South). Great experience will be to do La Tournette, but walk it first and see how doable it is

Smiker
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like there could be 2 days of riding there with potential for more exploration. I guess we’d go towards Morzine then? Unless you have any local tips…

Thanks again.

Richie_B

Not done any riding there but have jumped the bridges. Just the mention of the place makes me grin like an idiot

ransos
    Free Member

I had a week’s holiday there once (not biking). The lake’s great for swimming, plus lots of hot French ladies bathing topless on the little beach. Very good walking in the nearby mountains and woods, and loads of nice restaurants in the town. There’s a mainline train station that goes direct to Paris. If you can find some decent riding (highly likely) then it’d be a great base.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

Don’t forget the tour is having a time trial around the lake this summer. so a time to avoid / plan to be there – depending on your viewpoint.

Have heard the Semnoz is great – bus uplift from town etc.

Great ice cream there as well 🙂

And a fiendish crazy golf course..

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

Thanks for this info, in Chamonix just now. Did the Les Houches DH track 3 times. 13.4 euros for a day ticket. lift from 7.30am till 5pm. Good track lots of not too skinny NS. I met two trailbuilders who are adding more NS over muddy bits. I did it in a full suss xc bike so the brakes were fading a tad.

Annecy – semnoz looks good in a french vtt mag i bought last yr.

Im there from friday si will ride it then.

Hopefully Il find more when I go there.

Nick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Annecy’ is closed to new replies.