Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Another weather thread – but can someone explain what is happening please?
  • organic355
    Free Member

So royally pissed off with this crappy weather, who can I write to to complain, its just not on!!!

Can someone explaion what is happening and why we are getting such pants weather? Something to do with the Jetstream moving or something, bringing colder, wetter air up over the UK?

Couldnt find antyhing googling myself.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

As the artcic warms and melts, whether that is due to AGW or just natural climate variability, the newly melted and cold water spreads and cools the atnosphere covering it. That atnospheric cooling continues to the high level where the jet stream is found, forcing the jet stream further south. As the jetstream controls where the atlantic depressions are steered a southerly jet steam means that the bad weather that would have been steered north and miss the UK now hits directly.

loum
    Free Member

monsoon season here ‘innit

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Global warming
    Climate change
    It’s just a bit of a crappy summer, really.

ohnohesback
    Free Member
    Coyote
    Free Member

AccuWeather.com Long Range Expert Joe Bastardi believes there is a significant chance for particularly frigid winters in 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 into 2014-2015

Best. Name. Ever.

wattsymtb
    Free Member

I saw a bloke reporting for BBC while ago on some sort of financial policy changes. He really looked like a financial journalist (geeky, glasses, the kind of guy who would have got picked on in school). His name was Guy Dangerfield.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

One good thing out of all this bad weather is that they’ve stopped banging on about global warming.

I think the BBC soon shut up after even they realised they couldn’t pull the wool over our eyes any more that we were supposed to all be basking in 50 degree sunshine.

Still, I’ll happily burn a few trees down if it meant a proper summer.

binners

Its all Bob Diamonds fault! Or possibly Fatcha’s

Drac

I think the BBC soon shut up after even they realised they couldn’t pull the wool over our eyes any more that we were supposed to all be basking in 50 degree sunshine.

Oh dear.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think the BBC soon shut up after even they realised they couldn’t pull the wool over our eyes any more that we were supposed to all be basking in 50 degree sunshine

Troll or stupid?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Maybe neither.

Clong
    Free Member

But probably both.

binners

Its not necessarily all bad. At least it’ll keep the rioters indoors for bit longer. Lets face it, as soon as we get a bit of sustained sunshine the city centres are going to be ablaze again

Maybe its a conspiracy between the police and Foot Locker

Junkyard
    Free Member

Troll – unless he failed to understand the simple explanation above – unless of course he thinks that ice caps are melting and it is not getting warmer?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The simple explanation can explain how the natural feedback loops of the earth’s climate can self-regulate with a temporary warming prompting a colling effect.

Kunstler

North Atlantic Oscillation

Its not necessarily all bad. At least it’ll keep the rioters indoors for bit longer. Lets face it, as soon as we get a bit of sustained sunshine the city centres are going to be ablaze again

Maybe its a conspiracy between the police and Foot Locker

If enough people get angry about the weather we could create a micro bubble of high pressure to induce summer. I’m hoping this will happen to coincide with me camping in Torridon in two weeks time.

nedrapier

Do people have really short memories?

This happens pretty much every single year. Nice spring, goes to **** for good slices of June and July, then gets nicer again.

GrahamS

One good thing out of all this bad weather is that they’ve stopped banging on about global warming.

I realise (hope) that this was a troll – but the scary thing is that some folk actually think like that!

Rio

failed to understand the simple explanation above

That atnospheric cooling continues to the high level where the jet stream is found, forcing the jet stream further south

The less gullible will have noticed that cold air tends to stay down, not rise to high levels in the atmosphere where the jet stream is. One theory is that as the arctic warms it reduces the pressure difference between the arctic and lower lattitudes which allows the jet stream to bend more, and at the moment it happens to be bending in such a way that we get crap weather.

One of the biggest enemies to getting the climate change message across is that the messages that are put out tend to be over-simplified or wrong. The converts and the gullible will ignore this, but surely the target must be the skeptics, so the messages must be consistent and correct?

konagirl
    Free Member

lol.

The NAO figures give a good explanation. If you are interested, search for Rossby waves and the jet stream. (The NAO is derived from observations of surface pressure and is an indicator of jet stream activity by proxy, really. Similarly to other atmospheric patterns. The driving mechanism comes from troposphere / stratosphere interactions and instabilities in the Rossby wave patterns. For example, during the extremely cold winter we had 2010-2011, extreme weather was mimiced around the globe as the Rossby wave pattern had shifted. Similarly, there is/has been ‘unusual’ weather around the Northern Hemisphere with this latest ‘anomaly’, e.g. US east coast heat wave and associated storms.)

joao3v16
    Free Member

Another weather thread – but can someone explain what is happening please?

Raining. Mostly.

Looking on the bright side, it stops southernists moaning on about hosepipe bans.

MrsToast
    Free Member

But it’s going to be sunny in the Scottish Borders next week though, isn’t it? ISN’T IT?

Drac

This happens pretty much every single year. Nice spring, goes to **** for good slices of June and July, then gets nicer again.

Well it happens in cycles but not every year but yes people forget. It’s been about 5 or 6 years of this now.

binners

Could it be the unfortunate truth that, between the global warming deniers and the the environmental evangelists, in reality, absolutely nobody has got the slightest ****ing clue what the hell is going on?

Certainly looks that way to me

joao3v16
    Free Member

Could it be the unfortunate truth that, between the global warming deniers and the the environmental evangelists, in reality, absolutely nobody has got the slightest ****ing clue what the hell is going on?

Difficuly to continue justifying research grants etc if you admit it though.

These ‘scientists’ have probably got families to feed and mortgages to pay, so as long as they’ve got a seat on the climate change bandwagon the larder will be full.

konagirl
    Free Member

One of the biggest enemies to getting the climate change message across is that the messages that are put out tend to be over-simplified or wrong. The converts and the gullible will ignore this, but surely the target must be the sceptics, so the messages must be consistent and correct?

This is of course true, but a problem is explaining the difference between weather and climate; between long-term averages and extreme events and the statistics that scientists use on these very different observations. Whether or not the rise in global mean atmospheric temperature is a driving factor in the more extreme variation in the jet stream track(s) we have observed recently is something we won’t know for a few years yet, and may never be able to decipher with sufficient statistical rigour. The sceptics will jump on that scientific rigour and say ‘there is no proof’, but there is good evidence of climatic changes.

The latest anomaly is a consequence of natural variability in the system, but whether the more extreme Rossby wave locations and its consequences on extreme events observed on the ground have been accentuated by global temperature increases is something that will take a long time and a lot of effort to determine.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

To those worrying about me being a troll, perhaps I’m not making myself clear.

For many years, certainly throughout the early 00’s, the BBC spent much of their time telling us that we were directly contributing to the CO2 emissions that were causing the Greenhouse Effect, and thus causing massive global warming, which they reckoned we’d end up being a bit similar to Mercury as a result of our evil actions.

I’m fully aware of the natural oscillations of the planet that result in the ebb and flow of the cooling and warming, and more than aware of the maaaaaaaany scientific reasons for what we’re seeing at the moment (I’m no scientist, so I’m not able to argue whats right or wrong).

However, my point was this; we were told for many years that we directly contributed to the melting of the ice in the polar regions. They’ve backed off on this now; telling as it was when Attenborough made the comment at the end of his last nature series.

There was many buzzwords chucked around by groups for political gain (imho) such as Greenhouse Effect, Climate Change and Global Warming that used the human impact as a main contributor. It seems to be that in the wake of this weather, they’ve kind of got a little quiet on the Greenhouse Effect one…

Rio

Konagirl – well put.

The sceptics will jump on that scientific rigour and say ‘there is no proof’

This is surely relatively easy to counter by an appropriately phrased risk statement. My main issue is that often the messages that are put out are misleading or simply wrong. The skeptics can they say “you are wrong” and the argument is lost.

Edit: and when people fall for the incorrect statements it reinforces the impression that climate change is a belief system and not a scientific study.

R979
    Free Member

Difficuly to continue justifying research grants etc if you admit it though.

These ‘scientists’ have probably got families to feed and mortgages to pay, so as long as they’ve got a seat on the climate change bandwagon the larder will be full.

Yeah. Greedy ****.

they’ve kind of got a little quiet on the Greenhouse Effect one..

I know!!!. It’s summer and it’s cold and raining. I’m writing a furious letter to the University of East Anglia as I type this.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Up along the eastern half of the South Downs Way on Saturday and Sunday – relying on the long range (week) forecast turning out to be completely wrong, as usual… 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

he converts and the gullible will ignore this, but surely the target must be the skeptics, so the messages must be consistent and correct?

I dont think you can convince a sceptic with facts tbh

yes experts pah what do they know about anything …like say font choices eh

molgrips
    Free Member

For many years, certainly throughout the early 00’s, the BBC spent much of their time telling us that we were directly contributing to the CO2 emissions that were causing the Greenhouse Effect

If you were paying attention then you would also have noticed that they have been telling us for years that global warming would lead to more extreme and unpredictable weather. Is this not exactly what we are experiencing and talking about?

I think you fail to understand the concept of science anyway. Some people have ideas, do research, do experiments, suggest what might happen. This can change.

Global warming is still happening tho, and it appears to be messing up our weather quite effectively. As predicted. By scientists.

we were told for many years that we directly contributed to the melting of the ice in the polar regions

Is that not happening now then?

GrahamS

Oh jeebus he was being serious!

the Greenhouse Effect, and thus causing massive global warming

You do realise that the hypothesised “massive global warming” generally equates to a couple of degrees and that some areas would get wetter and colder (more water in the atmosphere, melting polar ice, jet streams changing direction etc).

Not sure how that ties up with “we were supposed to all be basking in 50 degree sunshine”?!?

Or as the Royal Society puts it:

“It is certain that increased greenhouse gas emissions from the burning of fossil fuels and from land use change lead to a warming of climate, and it is very likely that these green house gases are the dominant cause of the global warming that has been taking place over the last 50 years.

Whilst the extent of climate change is often expressed in a single figure – global temperature – the effects of climate change (such as temperature, precipitation and the frequency of extreme weather events) will vary greatly from place to place.”

http://royalsociety.org/policy/climate-change/

R979
    Free Member

I think you fail to understand the concept of science anyway. Some people have ideas, do research, do experiments, suggest what might happen. This can change.

Wrong again there ‘Grips. They do this:

families to feed and mortgages to pay, so as long as they’ve got a seat on the climate change bandwagon the larder will be full

And, they grow human ears on the back of bald, albino mice. Oh, and lets not forget about doing shed-loads of research on what foods will/will not give us cancer. That is what all ‘scientists’ do.

IHN

Seemingly there is no reason for these extraordinary intergalacticalmeterological upsets

Only Dr Hans Zarkov, formerly at NASA, has provided any explanation. His ideas, however, have been rejected as irrational.

Rio

I dont think you can convince a sceptic with facts tbh

Many climate change sceptics are perfectly rational people who are not in the pay of big oil companies. Many of them could be convinced by appropriate facts. But correctly presented facts are thin on the ground whereas opinions are not in short supply. This may of course be because the right facts are not available.

konagirl
    Free Member

Lol. Again, we seem to missing the difference between weather and climate; between observations and the ‘dark art’ of science (making sense of the observations, understanding the system and … as has been asked of the ‘scientists’ by Government, making predictions of what might happen).

The climatic observations are quite clear and scientifically rigourous. Global mean temperature is increasing, and associated with that there are numerous climatic effects that are documented and measured. These are facts. Now, there are regional variabilities overlying this global, spatial mean. Some places are cooling, some are warming. In some locations, sea level is rising but in some it has been falling, on average, for the last 10 years. But on average, averaging spatially over the globe and taking a trend in the data, we are observing trends in a lot of atmospheric and oceanic data which could have severe consequences to humanity.

If, as a society, we don’t spend some (a very small amount of) money (compared with most other Government spending) on investigating these observations, in trying to better our understanding of the driving mechanisms and improve predictions and uncertainty anaylsis, then we set ourselves up for a catastrophic fall. There was a recent paper that found the cost of setting-up, calibrating and running the flood warning system for the east USA was covered by the potential costs saved from good early warning for one specific hurricane a few years ago. Generally, investing in science is extremely cost-effective, from an economic point of view.

loum
    Free Member

zippykona

No clouds 32′ rhodes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Another weather thread – but can someone explain what is happening please?’ is closed to new replies.