Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Andy's first night-ride..
  • andeh

…..was pretty damn boss!

Got me lights this week (CandB Seen 1200lm lamp on the bars + 1000lm torch on my helmet) and braved the cold, mud, ice and snow tonight.

Only riding my local trails along the valley but initial results are great, I had a whale of a time! Not being able to distinguish between different surfaces really keeps you on your toes, it’s as though instead of reacting before the muddy patch, you’re forced to react on demand, as it’s happening! Sounds silly, but that’s what struck me the most. Our trails are very muddy at the moment and getting caught off guard by a hidden muddle or root was ace.

Obviously not riding anywhere near as quickly as during the day, but who gives a damn when you’re going sideways into the abyss. I even had a bit of snow towards the end 8)

Finally, here’s my bodged helmet mount, until I can sort something a little more permanent. It’s highly technical, as you can see.

gordimhor

Know exactly what you mean, just wait till you startle an owl and it flys up right in front of you 🙂

takisawa2

Good stuff.

I’d put the 1200 on the helmet & the torch on the bars. My P7 torch has a much wider spread of light, & its better on the bars.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Night rides are awesome, although not brave enuf to do one on my own!

I agree would put the candb seen on your lid, will give you better vision of where you want to be looking at ahead the trail!

br
    Free Member

Love night riding, but tbh better if you can find someone to ride with – especially if the likelihood of been found is low…

composite
    Free Member

Night riding rocks! There was a period when I enjoyed it more than day riding. I night ride on my own all the time; don’t do the gnarly stuff, take your time and tell someone your route and when you will be back. Text them if you are running late. 🙂

40mpg

You want one of these

Lockblock on ebay

andeh

Yeah, I noticed that the torch had a wider spread, I presumed it would be the other way round. I couldn’t actually work out how to use the CandB head strap on my helmet anyway.

I met up with a mate, so wasn’t completely alone. When he left to head home I took the long route back round some cheeky stuff. Managed to spook a pheasant, who in turn spooked me 😯

rewski
    Free Member

I would say cable ties are actually a better solution, those lock blocks made my torch bounce around which is really off putting.

Night riding on your own can be very spooky, can make a grown adult turn into a shivering wreck, got caught in fog on the North Downs, totally lost the trail, all I could see were the white dots of wolves and goblins eyes, and the distant hum of the m25 😉

somafunk

Good fun ain’t it?, i’m a grown adult (last time i checked anyway?) but still get that little shiver of fear followed by “wtf was that!”when i’m out n’ about at nights in the Galloway hills and hear strange howls and noises or see shapes running across the hillside. My favourite is a pitch black 5 mile descent from the Merrick, largest hill in S-W Scotland as there is absolutely no light pollution (it’s a dark sky area) and the amount of stars out is mind boggling not to mention the shooting stars, or are they alien spaceships looking for victim to probe?.

The Descent from Talnotry hill at Kirroughtree is a hoot on a nightride – you feel like you are piloting a Star Wars Speeder bike at warp speed through the trees, in fact the entire trail at Kirroughtree is an absolute blast and thankfully it’s my local trail so i know it’s twists n’ turns well enough to almost ride it with my eyes closed.

I prefer heading out myself as 99% of the enjoyment for me regarding night riding is the solitude and being distanced from everyday issues and other folk twittering on and on, i guess i’m an anti-social biker 😉

gordimhor

Night riding on your own is incredibly atmospheric, some trails near Falkirk were very handy for during the day but transformed into something magical for nightriding, even better with a wee bit snow

HTTP404
    Free Member

Cut those lock blocks down.
    The reason why the torch flaps around is because of the height of the holder.
    Cut it in half – through one of the slots – and thread both velcro straps through the remaining slot.
    I use two of these to secure my helmet torch.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Andy's first night-ride..’ is closed to new replies.