Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Nick Grimshaw. Discuss.
  • bullheart
    Free Member

Since becoming a father, I feel I have become far more tolerant of things that would have previously sent me into an angry chaotic descent into madness.

But Nick ‘Grimmy’ Grimshaw is the foppishly quiffed, apathetically vocalised hipster-wannabe straw that has broken this camels back.

Is anyone on here capable of persuading me as to why he’s ‘good’?

😥

thekingisdead
    Free Member

He plays lots more music than the previous incumbent. Which means less time to listen to the floppy haired ****. Shame the music is shite tho.

wwaswas

I’d never heard of him but thanks to your post and a quick google I’m now full of seething ire too 🙁

Pigface
    Free Member

I am way out of the age demographic for Radio 1 but used to listen to Moyles on the way to work.

Cant listen to Grimshaw which leaves me in a dilemma. Dont want to slag the guy off but he doesn’t work for me.

What to listen to in the car in the morning, cant stand Chris Evans and 6 Music is not an option in the car.

binners

A quick google tells me he’s a radio 1 presenter. You see… there’s your problem, right there. There really is no excuse whatsoever to listen to radio 1 once you’ve thrown off the surly bonds of puberty

Duggan

I never listen to R1 so can’t comment on that. I have to admit whenever I’ve seen him on TV he comes across as an alright bloke really and much less annoying than he looks.

I did think the same thing as the OP when I first saw him though.

Nobby

A quick google tells me he’s a radio 1 presenter. You see… there’s your problem, right there. There really is no excuse whatsoever to listen to radio 1 once you’ve thrown off the surly bonds of puberty

This.

I couldn’t stand listening to his obnoxious predecessor either.

pacerc200
    Free Member

If moyles was the saviour of radio 1, grimshaw will be the ………..

wrecker
    Free Member

He’s bloody awful. Evans is boring. Don’t have DAB. Local stations adverts are driving me to distraction. Threaders.

stumpy01

Can’t persuade you otherwise, as I feel the same.

I’ve tried to persevere in case I just need time to adjust, but I end up wanting to smash my car into the nearest concrete bit of road furniture to make it stop, so turn him off instead.

Maybe I’m just getting old…?

mos

I once saw him on TV hosting some sort of contemporary music guff.
    It bothers me immensly that a person whom carries himself thus can make it through life without passing out in a pile of foppish dribble.

mu3266
    Free Member

No one likes change, especially you older lot! 😈

I quite liked him when he did the surgery on sunday evenings so was used to him before. Do enjoy the extra music in the morning but some of his choices are shocking. He will learn I’m sure.

Edited to add; Wrecker, threaders? Are you a Steely eyed dealer of death?

jam-bo

6 Music is not an option in the car.

Sonichi s100 dab adaptor from halfords. Worth every penny of the £70 it was.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ill qualify my opinion with the fact im 26 so within the target demographic.

i enjoyed moyles inane banter in the morning and have done since he started- there was a spell when i came back from NZ and i thought he was going down the pan but he picked it up again. – was still better than nzs commercial radio
    . I do prefer talky radio as oppose music upon music – if i wanted that ill put the ipod on.

Grimshaws forced me over to local radio – hes as dry as cream cracker. he has no banter and more annoyingly still he refuses to speak in english- hes like an early morning scott mills who needs some sense knocked into him.

at least moyles spoke fairly well (for someone from leeds) a\nd he had some passion about him for what he did.

one of the absolute variants or planet rock in the house for me on DAB. I really want a personal DAB for listening too on the way to work but cant justify the 70 odd quid and even then the write ups are at best average…. not convinced ill get a signal for most of my journey either.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker, threaders? Are you a Steely eyed dealer of death?

Ex steely eyed dealer of death of a sort.

soobalias
    Free Member

to be fair, moyles was widely slated when he took over the breakfast show… similarly by people who are way beyond their target audience.

i share your pain tho, R2 seems to cater for those who are one step away from local radio in the care home, so if you want music its commercial radio

still if i cycle in im listening to the same half dozen albums/mixes that have been on my mp3 for as long as i can remember.

Sonichi s100 dab adaptor from halfords. Worth every penny of the £70 it was

needs investigation, but would double the value of my motor

jam-bo

I really want a personal DAB for listening too on the way to work but cant justify the 70 odd quid and even then the write ups are at best average…. not convinced ill get a signal for most of my journey either.

I was suprised how good it is. I lose signal in two spots for about 10-15s.

One is a deep, steep valley bottom. The other is more random section of open moorland.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I used to enjoy Grimmy when he had his 10-midnight show. Many evenings fettling the bikes listening to him. Ii guess he’s got to play more mainstream music in the mornings, but I don’t listen to R1 at breakfast (Moyles put me right off). For me its R2 or R4 first thing (missus doesn’t like Sean Keavney) then R6 through the day, sometimes Jo Whiley on R2 in the evening or R6, and then R1 for me for Zane, the review show and Annie Mac when she’s on.

bullheart
    Free Member

There really is no excuse whatsoever to listen to radio 1 once you’ve thrown off the surly bonds of puberty

Alas, there is a ten minute part of my drive to Maidstone where there is nothing else available.

Maybe I’ll sing to myself…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I saw him in a shoe shop in the West End a few years ago.

He’s got a MASSIVE head.

I kid you not…. it’s really HUGE… Disproportionate to the rest of his body … It, his head, looks ike an orange on a tooth pick.

toby1

His face, his hair, his clothing and his attitude all irritate me – and then there is his voice.

6 or nothing in the morning thanks!

Radio1’s evening shows still have occasional bits worth listening too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i barely get FM on my ride to work – i have to change channel 3 or 4 times along the route. Im riding along the base of the valley. then i cross over the top into another valley and ride back up that one.

may experiment with the pure 1 running on batterys in my camelback one day ….. wont be tomorrow as ive to bring in a battery charger for a colleagues capri 😀

binners

When you’re in your mayes Capri, does the radio constantly play the theme tune to the Sweeney? 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

no but the 2l pinto sings.

its just back from the tuners having bike carbs from a zxr 1000 fitted with a kent fast road cam and over bored + pistons fitted …. shame they forgot to wire in the alternator.

jfletch
    Free Member

I did used to like a bit of Moyles in the morning. Some chatty and amusing banter to start the day was always good. Now I’m lost in a sea of meh.

No DAB in the car but I’ve tried everything else.

R2 – Dull as a dull thing with the dullness turned to 11. Every time I flick it on they are either reading inane texts from old people about drivel, talking about traffic jams in another part of the country or playing music that makes me want to go back to bed.

Comercial Radio – Adverts argh. And over my 35 mile comunte I have to re-tune 3 times as I live/work on the edge of various regions.

R4 – Passable but there is only so much serious talk I can take in a morning.

R5 – Again passable until they get all daily mail and I have to turn it off.

So I’m back to R1. “Grimmy” (blugh) is nowhere near as annoying as Scott Mills so thats one tick. He is tollerable and instantly forgettable. So that is what I have stuck with. The R1 playlist is really pooh though. Makes you realise how little of it Moyles actually played!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    Wrecker, threaders? Are you a Steely eyed dealer of death?

Ex steely eyed dealer of death of a sort.
    POSTED 30 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Methinks a bit of Jackspeak is occurring ……

uwe-r
    Free Member

One aim of positioning Grimy in the breakfast show was to reposition the station for the youth audience.

So the stw hive, a bunch of middle aged bike riding it geeks, are all agreed its meh! I think it’s job done.

I listen to R4 – I have accepted my youth is behind me and a refuse to tolerate R2 (which is aimed at my demographic).

TimP
    Free Member

Is anyone on here capable of persuading me as to why he’s ‘good’?

No, sorry, not me.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

If like me you enjoy getting annoyed then listen to richard bacon!

joao3v16
    Free Member

You’re obviously all doing it wrong.

The correct way to use Radio is to have it on as background noise when you’re doing other things. Like drilling.

You’re not supposed to deliberately and intently listen to it.

This works best when you have a short attention span. Like being a teenager. Or a goldfish.

trail_rat
    Free Member

drilling while riding a bike or driving a car ?

although clarkson did prove you can sew a button on while driving a yaris…..

i suspect most of the drivers on my commute to work may be tailoring a suit while they drive into the office tbh….

soobalias
    Free Member

R2?

“We’re aware of concerns about Radio 2 targeting a younger audience. The current average audience age of 50 is well within the station’s target audience, but the trust is clear that this must not fall any further, and we would like to see Radio 2 work on its appeal to over 65 year olds.”

the average is only that low as they count the like of me force fed their tripe 9hrs a day, five days a week.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I don’t mind him at all, very relaxed and natural, seems to get the best out of guests who are clearly at ease with him.

He’s genuinely quick-witted and comes out with some pretty funny comments. He’s like a male version of Sara Cox – maybe a bit marmite, but you can’t please everyone.

To compare him to Moyles’ show is unfair – he presents pretty much single-handedly whereas Moyles had his Steve-Wright-style “posse” of Comedy Dave, Aled, Dom, Tina etc.

I’m 38, so certainly not “demographic” but I listen to R1 from dawn to dusk and I still think it’s the benchmark that all radio should be judged against.

The mistake the Beeb are making is trying to change R1 to attract the yoof rather than letting a successful product mature with it’s listeners and offering a new product for young listeners. They have no understanding of how brands work.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Showbot sounds well dirty. Is it wrong to fancy a computer?

binners

I’m 38, so certainly not “demographic” but I listen to R1 from dawn to dusk

Really? By the end of the day, do you ever find yourself gently rocking back and too, dribble slowly running down your chin, gently sobbing? 😯

convert

I think I am part of a lost generation. I’m not meant to listen to R1 and R2 is meant to embrace people at least as old as my parent’s generation (60s) so is never likely to appeal to me particularly too. Where are mid 30’s to mid40’s meant to hang out these days, esp if R6 is not available? R4 has always been my radio station of choice but you want a go to place for background tunes too.

binners

6 music is all I’ve listened too for years. Its bloody brilliant!

I’d rather listen to Hora beating his chest, and howling at the moon while noisily rutting, than Radio 1 or 2

pictonroad

DAB – 6music in the morning, everything else is just utterly intolerable.

Radio 1. In the morning, God no, not ever. My new car arrives on the 17th November, I guarantee that on the 18th they’ll be a DAB radio in the dash, hang the aesthetics and general air of bodgery it will introduce…

jfletch
    Free Member

The mistake the Beeb are making is trying to change R1 to attract the yoof rather than letting a successful product mature with it’s listeners and offering a new product for young listeners. They have no understanding of how brands work.

It’s not the beeb or R1s fault. It’s the BBC trust and the bloody politicians listening to too many lobbyists.

R1s public service charter says they have to target 15-29 yos. They get greif from the BBC trust if they apear to be appealing to people outside this as Moyles used to. This is because the BBC trust will be getting greif from the politicians because the politicians will be getting greif from the privite companies who own the comercial radio stations.

This is because comercial radio’s key audience is the 30 to 50 yos who spend money on the insurance, double glazing and cars that they endlessly advertise.

It is the same reason R2 get greif for attracting younger listeners.

IMO this sucks if you are 30 – 50 as you have nothing good made by the Beeb for you unless you want something niche.

#%^£ing capitalists.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I don’t get the 6 Music obsession. I have listened a couple of times and it’s ok but it’s nothing to get excited about. The music is good but some of the presenters sound a bit amateurish.

XFM’s Owen McDermott is a good presenter but there is only so long you can listen to any commercial station.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Nick Grimshaw. Discuss.’ is closed to new replies.