Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • android tablet (Vs Ipad)
  • dmetcalfe
    Free Member

Has anyone tried any of the cheap android pads about for example this one
    android pad from dx

they cost less than half the price, dont look quite as nice, battery isnt as good, but they can host usb, and take sd cards. anyone tried reading singletrack on them, or any other mags.
    all this hype about the ipad, and yes i want one but are the really worth double the price. plus android is opensource

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

my guess is that it will be awful, but if you get one, please report back!

I've bought an Android phone and come to the conclusion its much better to buy one of the big brands so that future Android releases get properly released for it.

i doubt the DX thing will have much support behind it.

glenh
    Free Member

I'm not sure there are many/any decent android tablets on the market currently.
    Apparently a delay in Nvidia's tegra2 chips may well be slowing the release of quite a few.

Google search reveals plenty of good stuff in the pipeline though.

Admiralable
    Free Member

after my experience of Android on my X10 and G1 I'm not touching it ever again. Shocking software. Not even Vista was this slow and confused.

glenh
    Free Member

Strange that is your experience, since in my experience android is faster, more versatile and easier to use than any other smartphone os (win mobile, iphone os, symbian etc).

Admiralable
    Free Member

Maybe its just the phones. G1 was woefully underpowered. And X10 has had Sony meddling with Android and it keeps opening pointless apps like timescape and moxier mail.

Stoner
    Free Member

X10 is a poor comparison unit. My HTC legend is the nuts.

There was an earlier thread that you might like to search for and link here.

As a matter of fact I've just ordered a rockchip driven 7" tablet. Having studied various reviews I've avoided the Eken unit with the poorer chipset. I will review when I have my hands on it.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I've got Android on my Netbook (fairly old version) as a dual boot option
    It's Useless!! (The Netbook's great with XP for what I use it for though)

I've also got an Android Phone (Hero on V2.2) and it's brilliant
    especially after the 2.2 upgrade
    Eagerly awaiting Upgrade time to get a Desire though as they're even better.
    HTC Sense really makes it though I think

Get a decent smart phone or a netbook, I don't personnel see what gap they're filling tbh and yes I've used one, guy I work with bought one on import in the first week of the US release 🙄
    Fanboi what more can I say, not for me just don't see the point of them
    He still can't justify it to me, but he loves it.
    He's also got an iMac, MacBookPro and iPhone4 🙄

I use my net book for browsing + emails + backing up photos when away from home, and maybe watching the odd DivX when away too
    No USB and not being able to type properly kills it for me

Stoner
    Free Member

Keith – most support usb

I'm looking for a 'thinner' replacement for my 3g enabled netbook

I have also bought an unlocked Mifi unit to go with it. Expansys are stocking a 3g Soar, but it's 300gbp.

Tbh its a new toy to try out, especially as I have been so impressed by android on my HTC.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

cheers guys. still undecided, mine is to replace a netbook thats seen better days, and would only really be used for browsing, and videos when i'm away, dont really need to do much typing. wouldnt mind usb hosting, but its not a great problem, and i have a mifi which is really good so doesnt need to be 3g, still thinking of just getting the ipad just cos i can. if it could host usb (other than just for photos) it would swing it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘android tablet (Vs Ipad)’ is closed to new replies.