Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Andrew critchlow comback
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

Has anyone read Andrew Critchlow having a go at racing again at 40?

The stats in the article are astounding. he went from 398w maximal power (v02max) to 470w in 6 weeks! + he also lost 5kg of fat. is he seeing these gains because 1. he’s a nutter at training and 2. because of his form in his youth?

I’ve heard most people talk of 50w gains in year (that’s in FTP not MMP)

The other article:
    Why i’m trying to be a pro cyclist at the age of 40

trickydisco
    Free Member

must be me then 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Never heard of him, and power at VO2Max is an odd metric, I can’t personally relate to that. What’s his FTP?

Seeing as he didn’t win his debut by miles, or indeed even contest the sprint, in a handicap Surrey League race I’m assuming the 470w isn’t anything to write home about, he’s just gone from being basically untrained, to being really quite trained. Meh.

I wish him luck though of course.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well by all accounts he was on the GB cycling squad in the 80’s

i was quite amazed by the jump really. I calcualte my FTP from that v02max figure based on ramp tests (MAP)

in FTP terms he’s jumped from around 300 to 352w.. in 6 weeks!

Seeing as he didn’t win his debut by miles, or indeed even contest the sprint, in a handicap Surrey League race I’m assuming the 470w isn’t anything to write home about,

He is over 80kg i suppose.. Not bad to be in a race based on 6 weeks of training surely?!

njee20
    Free Member

But he clearly didn’t give up cycling altogether, so no, I’m not hugely impressed he finished a Surrey League race after 6 weeks… Maybe just me.

trickydisco
    Free Member

and power at VO2Max is an odd metric,

it’s a repeatable metric.. and used quite a lot for testing

njee20
    Free Member

So is FTP. I can’t grasp any sense of what he’s doing because the numbers are foreign. The increase alone doesn’t astound me without context.

Couldn’t remember why his name was familiar until I googled him – he wrote the piece about ‘vigilante cyclists doing more harm than good’ and then was on the receiving end of a Tweet suggesting he was shot!

I maintain my indifference.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Andrew critchlow comback’ is closed to new replies.