Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • And the heating oil cartel swings into action once again
  • Stoner
    Free Member

air heat exchange is a heat recovery system (catching the heat from warm dirty air and moving it to new intake of cold clean air before recirculating in the house), not an energy source. Ive put it in here too. To work at its best it needs an airtight building so my converted barn isnt perfect but I reckon I get quite good performance out of it, harvesting a lot of the energy that is usually lost to vent loss. It also keeps the air fresh in the house.

its the blue and grey thing top left. Its now connected up properly. Must get a photo.

backhander
    Free Member

no need for carbon capture on a wood boiler – wood is biogenic/short cycle carbon so not a fossil fuel. essentially carbon neutral

If you’re right (and I’m not doubting you), there’s an awful lot of people/companies who are concerned about it as any google search will show.
    http://www.biomassenergycentre.org.uk/portal/page?_pageid=75,163182&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
    Small but not carbon neutral.

TheBrick
    Free Member

sharkbait – Member
    Thankfully we put an 8kw stove in last May and I think it must have saved us about £500 in oil this winter alone….. thankfully.
    Will be doing some reading up on your system.

If you have a 8 kw stove you should make sure it’s linked up to you c/h system with a back boiler. Parents had this don last summer via multi coiled thermal store. They have done all of there hot water and c/h with ease off of the wood burner this winter. Ok only two of them living there at the moment but my girlfriend and I were there over Christmass and it still kept up with 4 peoples heating and hot water need. They haven the gas boiler linked in as a backup and during the spring / autumn when the solar thermal might not quite give enough heat..

sharkbait
    Free Member

To be honest it would be quite a hassle to link it to the CH. At the moment the CH thermostat is set to 18 degs (with the thermostat in the hall) but the stove is in the snug (separated from the hall by the kitchen and two doors and we can open/close various doors to allow the heat to spread depending upon how cold it is.

oddjob
    Free Member

2 points from a Scandinavian persepective. We pay about £1 per litre for heating oil so it is a big part of our budget (£200-£300 per month) so alternatives are popular and there have been some rebate schemes in Denmark over the last couple of years.
    The air and or ground heat exchanges have been popular, but over the last 2 cold winters, it has turned out that they don’t have the power that was promised and there have been quite a few people having to buy inneficient electric heaters to keep warm enough.

Looked at a zero energy house a couple of months ago. it is definately the future.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘And the heating oil cartel swings into action once again’ is closed to new replies.