• This topic has 43 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • And LBS wonder why they are struggling…
  • curtisthecat
    Free Member

I snapped my chain the other day on a local ride to test the new bike out. Luckily it was just the power link that came apart. Unluckily for me it pinged off into the undergrowth and I didn’t have a spare. So I went into shop to pick one up. No power links in stock! 😯 Must be the most common replacement part! WTF!!

flatfish
    Free Member

Why weren’t you carrying one if they’re so common? 🙄

muggomagic

So LBS are struggling because this particular shop didn’t have a £1 part for you to purchase?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I’d love it if my lbs’ sold them for just a quid.

But I also invariably carry a powerlink spare to ward off the chainsnap goblin. It’s worked for about 10 years now.

matther01
    Free Member

Lost a brake pin before my ride at Cannock last week and nipped in to LBS but they had no spares…fortunately found some metal wire just outside the shop and made an impromptu one.

Lesson – try and remember to tighten everything regularly and take spares for things likely to break…such as rear mech hangers etc

Pieface

I believe the most common replacement part is more likely a toss up between inner tubes and brake pads

crikey
    Free Member

So you put a powerlink on incorrectly, but the shop is to blame?

Wow…

DickBarton

If they didn’t have any in that suggests they have sold them all…cant be bad for business if they have sold all stock of them…bearing in mind a shop doesn’t order just 1…

Shandy
    Free Member

I went to buy a kids bike today, the one we wanted was fully built up on the shop floor, my daughter was all excited. When we went to pay we were told we couldn’t have it because the workshop wouldn’t have time to PDI it until next week.

leffeboy

on the other hand a friend of mine had a puncture when riding by a local (to me) bike shop that he had never been at before. Went in to said shop with no cash and they gave him an inner tube 🙂

Needless to say he went back and paid next day and they now have another firm customer.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Must be the most common replacement part! WTF!!

I bet they’re a very, very long way from the most common replacement part- in fact they’re probably quite niche.
    I’d say for the vast majority of LBSs the stuff they sell to the type of rider/bike owner found on STW accounts for a very small amount of their turnover.

leffeboy

I’d say for the vast majority of LBSs the stuff they sell to the type of rider/bike owner found on STW accounts for a very small amount of their turnover

I suspect that’s very true. The vast majority of my cycling friends are happy to take their bikes to the shop for every small repair (including changing tubes in one case). Their biggest issues aren’t price (within reason) but rather opening hours and how long before the job can get done. I suspect that’s why we are seeing more shops offering to come and pick up bikes in the evening or to come to workplaces to do the work

spacemonkey

If you get on well with your LBS (or make friends with another one) there’s every chance they’ll go through their spares and give you a few freebies that they otherwise wouldn’t make money on, e.g chain links (either exact same or at least compatible). They might not save you in the way a Powerlink would, but they’re better than nothing.

nealglover
    Free Member

Must be the most common replacement part! WTF!!

I’ve been riding mountainbikes for 25 years pretty much, and I’ve never bought one.

Bought loads of brake pads/inner tubes/tyres/cables/mech hangers/skewers though.

walleater

Ummmm just use a chain tool? That’s what I did when I had exactly the same issue the other week.

mboy
    Free Member

Your LBS is struggling?

Bit odd given the current economic and sporting climate.

The guy who owns my LBS is always grinning from ear to ear right now. He’s a nice guy, always gives me a good service and statutory 10% discount for sure, but I always ask “how’s business” and have a bit of a chat, and for about the last 2 years solid, every time I ask that, he’s even happier than the previous time!

I’d say if there was ever a time to own and LBS, it was now!!!

Mackem

Aye, should have just used wiggle or CRC, sure they’d have delivered a new one to you within the hour.

FuzzyWuzzy

Aye firstly they’re more like £3-4 and secondly if you made it the the LBS did you try just asking for a couple of chain links and the lend of a chain tool (if you weren’t carrying one, were you carrying any spares…?), my LBS would have been happy enough with that. although ofc if I turned up as a stranger to them on a bike I’d bought elsewhere I wouldn’t automatically assume they’d be helpful, same as I wouldn’t expect an Audi main dealer to give me a free bit of oil to top up a BMW…

batman11
    Free Member

A power link my be a small item and as stated they had probably just sold! out but what do you expect local shops,are fighting for survival what with crc,merlin and all the other big players online sellers. I mean merlin this morning sent me a newsletter with 37% of a full xt group set and on top of that another 5%of of that =42% off!! local shops don’t even buy there stuff in for that margin. My lbs will always try and price match to a point but with deals like that he’s better off charging to fit it and let you deal with merlin or who ever when it goes wrong! My self I try to buy as much as I can from him and just get my discount he gives all loyal customers/ team riders, in less its a crazy deal such as the carbon santa cruz blur frame I got a couple of months ago for a grand from bike scene I’m sticking with my lbs.
    Bats.

nealglover
    Free Member

37% of a full xt group set and on top of that another 5%of of that =42% off!!

[Maths Pedant] the way you described it, it’s 40.15 %off [/Maths Pedant]

😉

donsimon
    Free Member

My lbs will always try and price match

That’s what’s killing the lbs, or this portion of sales. Why should they price match when CRC/Wiggle/Otherinternetshop don’t service match?

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s a little unfair to expect a small shop to carry every thing all the time ,
    Esp if they stock mostly shimano chains as they don’t use a power link

My lbs still does 9 speed links for £1.00 but 10 speed ones and loads more money

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Never used a powerlink to fit my chains ( sram and rohloff) then keep the link in my camelback. Do that and you automatically have a spare.

cardo

I’m lucky and have found a really good LBS where I work, he gives me club discount, price matched a set of Flows rims he built up for me and when I needed a spare power link took one out of a new chain box until he got a replacement. I prefer to build bikes but have used him for everything else including clothing, spares, HOPE goodies etc… Bike shops who don’t care or give me poor service aren’t visited again.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I buckled a rear 180mm brake disc at Fort Bill last month, no probs, the bike shop will have one.
    No.
    I know, I’ll just remove the adaptor and fit a (much more common) 160mm disc.
    Errr… no. Haven’t got them either.
    Can I borrow a vice, try and straighten mine then?
    Ummm… no.

K-fanks-bye LBS, I’ll stick to the internet and save some coin thanks. 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Neil F – Member
    I buckled a rear 180mm brake disc at Fort Bill last month, no probs, the bike shop will have one.
    No.
    I know, I’ll just remove the adaptor and fit a (much more common) 160mm disc.
    Errr… no. Haven’t got them either.
    Can I borrow a vice, try and straighten mine then?
    Ummm… no.

K-fanks-bye LBS, I’ll stick to the internet and save some coin thanks. Do you live in Fort William?

jameso

Why should they price match when CRC/Wiggle/Otherinternetshop don’t service match?

Point of the week.

avdave2

So you went on a test ride without what you consider the most common replacement part on a bike. 🙄

jfletch
    Free Member

I’d class having small but crucial common parts in stock as a service matter, that and being open when you need them. Mine just reduced their opening ours. I haven’t been in since to look at shiny things to buy. They said the reason was that staff were finishing too late 😯

batman11
    Free Member

As with any sort of price matching he will do so if possible and there is still a sensible profit to be made!! After all money is money. Plus from what he has said with some distributors the more he spends with them through a year he stands to get a better rate the following year It is after all just playing the game for these guys.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

lol I bet [RandomOffshoreInternetBikeShop] had one in stock just 4 days posted…..

Not sure why you didn’t try and fix the chain an order one when you got home before shouting in here how cheap it was

Neil-F
    Free Member

druidh – Member

Do you live in Fort William?

No.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Buy a chain tool. Learn how to use it. 🙄

ojom
    Free Member

Probably one of our least sold spare parts FWIW

Other shops experience may vary.

If you class inner tubes as a spare then that would be No.1

juan
    Free Member

That’s what’s killing the lbs, or this portion of sales. Why should they price match when CRC/Wiggle/Otherinternetshop don’t service match?

tut tut how do you dare, this is stw, the word service is an aberration, what do I say, an abomination.

juan
    Free Member

Probably one of our least sold spare parts FWIW

Yeah but then you want to sell trike that would make kids go crying.

andytherocketeer

buy a 3pr pack, and tape a pair on to each bike. sorted.
    so what if it costs a tenner? few quid on “insurance” for each bike is surely worth it.

labsey
    Free Member

Popped into my mate’s LBS to buy a cassette removal tool, didn’t sell them but they gave me one theirs anyway. Declined any money for it too. As awesome as places like CRC and Merlin are, I’ll always try my LBS first.

nealglover
    Free Member

Popped into my mate’s LBS to buy a cassette removal tool, didn’t sell them but they gave me one theirs anyway. Declined any money for it too. As awesome as places like CRC and Merlin are, I’ll always try my LBS first.

I would too, if my mate owned a Bike Shop.

My mate however, owns a Wedding Dress Dress shop, which isn’t so useful

(and they don’t stock power links either)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I once popped into a bakers and they had sold out of the nice bread I like, I went home and whined all over the internet about it before weeing in their shoes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘And LBS wonder why they are struggling…’ is closed to new replies.