• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Covert v Dixon?
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Crux of the matter is I like both bikes coming into some compensation but can’t decide, any advice would be great. Will be running with 150mm front Revs by the way.

toys19
    Free Member

love my Covert, but I bet the Dixon is awesome too.

alfabus
    Free Member

Will be running with 150mm front Revs by the way.

They’ll be a bit small for a Covert, it wants a 160mm fork, and probably a 36mm stanchion one at that.

I know nothing about the dixon.

Dave

toys19
    Free Member

Ooops yeah didn’t see that. I would email transition about the fork usage: Their responses to my enquiries were a major factor in my purchase. (Not saying Devinci wouldn’t be good too, I don’t have any experience there..)

j3ffo
    Free Member

Was in the same Dilemma a few weeks ago. Went with the Dixon in the end, really really pleased with it. I have a soft spot for Transition bikes though and I imagine I would have loved the Covert equally.

phil56

have you organised any demo rides?
    Freeborn have demo Dixons and do demo days, and Plush Cycles had a demo Covert the last time I was in there

fudge9202
    Free Member

j3ffo That Dixon looks awesome!

Would love to have a demo on both but sadly in Ireland, also looks like I need to rethink fork choice. Just checked Freeborn’s site the Dixons are specced with a 32 150mm fork, just what I have so a result, anybody running a covert similarly specced?

jim76
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Covert but I’ve ridden the Dixon a few times and it’s a fantastic bike – extremely capable as an all-rounder and laterally one of the stiffest suspension MTB’s I’ve ridden to date. Contact Freeborn and organise a demo, they have medium and large available.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Will be running with 150mm front Revs by the way

You can run 150mm forks on a Bandit. (I do on mine.)

It’s ‘only’ 130mm travel at the back, but it’s still a tough frame and no doubt capable of handling way more than I’ll ever throw at it.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Where are freeborn based, trails wise could arrange family caravan holiday in the area with unsuspecting wife 8)

Shandy
    Free Member

I have a Dixon in Belfast if you want to give it a lash, its a Large with 150mm 36 Floats on. You’d need to have something for me to ride though!

fudge9202
    Free Member

Shandy email me on fudge9202@googlemail.com to try and arrange something

Cheers for the offer

jim76
    Free Member

Fudge, they are in Horsham, west Sussex. Decent riding nearby (Surrey Hills) and a fair few campsites too I think 😉

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers jim76 hopefully going to arrange a try on Shandy’s just going to email him at start of the week to arrange things.

tamedearth
    Free Member

Get a covert. You won’t regret it!

fudge9202
    Free Member

Just read the review for the new pivot mach 5.7 now utterly confused where to spend my money anyone tried one of these

rj
    Free Member

I tried the carbon Pivot back to back with a Covert a couple of weeks ago. The pivot climbs extremely well and is well mannered on the downs (such as they were – it was a demo day at Carron Valley). The Covert was considerably more work uphill, but to my mind it was more fun everywhere else. The pivot was set up with 150mm forks, a relatively narrow bar and a longer, higher stem than I’m used to which undoubtedly coloured my impression of it. I guess it depends what you’re after. If it makes a difference, a review I read recently of the Covert (Pinkbike maybe?), tried it with a 150mm fork and reckoned it seriously compromised the handling.

fudge9202
    Free Member

As I intend to run a new frame with a new set of revs 150mm forks it looks like the covert is not in the running, a pity as it was my first choice when I started trying to find a frame to deal with the terrain that i ride in and I love the descents over climbing

JCL
    Free Member

MBR were out here (BC) last summer testing the Dixon. Did some runs in the bike park with the guys, me on a Demo 8. I also borrowed a one from the LBS to do a couple rides. Basically that bike has the best suspension rate of any 150 bike. You can just smash it and the geometry doesn’t hold you back either. The BB was a little high but didn’t they lower it this year? Bet you’ll love it.

fudge9202
    Free Member

JCL cheers for that looks like my mind is made up to get a Dixon frames. How did you find the split pivot suspension?

mr_mills
    Free Member

I’m about to sell my Dixon frame (medium). It’s about a year old. E-mail me if you’re interested.

JCL
    Free Member

Fudge, I’m not a huge Weagle fan but he got that thing just right. It will squat (bob) under load more than say a Maestro or VPP but that doesn’t bother me personally as I’m a weakling so I spin in low gears on climbs. It’s really active and initially sensitive so if you haul into some chatter it won’t pack up and at the same time it’s progressive enough so it won’t bottom when you hit a big square edge. It probably works better than my Stumpy Evo.

I seem to remember it being a little short in length. I ran a 50mm stem on a medium and I’m 5’8″ but MBR had a 70mm and would rather had a 50mm with a longer TT. The problem with going up a size is the seatube got a little long (tall). However, get comfy on one and I’m sure you won’t look back.

Good luck!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Covert v Dixon?’ is closed to new replies.