Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • An hour to save your life, tonight 21.00 bbc 2
  • project
    Free Member

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/dm78vw/an-hour-to-save-your-life–series-2—episode-1

Featuring a lady cyclist run over by an LGV, and a child hit by a car,

stumpy01

Ta, just stuck it on…

petrieboy

Wow!

stumpy01

Erm….crikey! Eek!

Spoiler alert……

Opened her chest up in the street and manually pumping it! Holy crap! Never seen anything like that…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Astounding

‘put your hand in, feel for her spine then find the aorta, squeeze it and don’t let go 😯

hora
    Free Member

Agree. Gobsmacked. Utterly gobsmacked, the Doctors composure, thinking and skill.

The boy- I lost my vision. Apparently mine was concussion.

Drac

I was stunned even though I’ve worked as a Paramedic for over 20 years. Just amazing the NHS is fantastic.

richmars

Makes 24 Hours in A+E (C4) look like a picnic.

Drac

Just incredible this is probably one the greatest TV moments I’ve seen.

Incredibly skilled and talented people working together without compromise to save her life.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’m speechless. I’d guess a few short years ago, she’d have died at the scene (which was depressingly close to work)

The NHS is bloody brilliant

myti
    Free Member

Unbelievable! Massive respect they are so calm.

Drac

Without doubt she was given the greatest chance. RIP.

Truly moving TV.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So sad, but huge respect for everyone who didn’t give up on her

RIP

hora
    Free Member

🙁

stumpy01

I assumed she would survive… 🙁

I hope that this will make a few people rethink how they drive around cyclists and make cyclists a bit more careful around vehicles….just shows how it can all go wrong and how fragile we all are.

Respect and sympathy to her family…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Mrs is a staff nurse, she never spoke all the way through it, (which is a miracle.)
    Truly eye opening stuff & hats off to the Dracs of this world. *doffs cap to Drac & his colleagues*

stuartmccarthy
    Free Member

Very moving and sad to see the outcome of the poor girl. It’s nice to hear her mother say she lived life to the full. Massive respect to the NHS for trying everything possible and giving her the best possible chance of living.

RIP

Drac

Thanks essel but it just what we do, I know that’s a cliche but it’s true.

I heard just before tonight’s show that a patient I had several months back now in an RTC has survived. He was barely alive when I arrived in my car the only response on scene to a 5 causality RTC for about 10 mins.

Very rewarding stuff when you hear that as the last I heard a couple of months ago was that he was still in intensive care.

iainc

Very moving programme… Quite upset now !

Hicksy
    Free Member

I must I found that very difficult to watch and very upsetting (even before I knew the outcome), but am glad I watched it. Thank goodness we have these amazing people out there to help us when things go wrong.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

The NHS is bloody brilliant

I would say the young doctor who had the balls and commitment to do what he did was brilliant

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Thing is though – the NHS provides that kind of service every day up and down the country. It’s a special organisation which is used as a political football.

Drac

I would say the young doctor who had the balls and commitment to do what he did was brilliant

Totally agree but I was referring to the whole process and all cases on the show. Yes particularly the cyclist case where everyone worked flat out and tried everything within their skill set to save her.

NZCol

Intense. Incredible stuff.
    I won’t moan about a bad day at work based on what I saw…

notmyrealname
    Free Member

That was a great programme, really enjoyed it.
    I’ve worked with the HEMS Doctors on quite a few occasions and it always amazes me just how calm and composed they remain despite what’s going on around them and the condition the patient’s in. I did a job with one of them a few years back when they were off duty and just passing by and despite the lack of his usual equipment or team to assist, again he was totally unfazed by the situation.
    They really are amazing guys and girls.

On a slightly lighter note, did anyone find it odd that they were showing footage of someone’s chest being cut open and the heart massaged yet still they blurred out the patients nipples so they didn’t upset/offend someone or was it just me?

hora
    Free Member

Whilst watching the programme I remembered back to the immediate aftermath of a cyclist fatality on my commute/near my office. I pass it daily and I still vividly remember the scene. Last week I had a couple of near misses with a driver who didn’t want me to be infront of him approaching a stationary car at a red light. Then again he overtook a car waiting to turn right almost taking me out. He looked either spaced out or somewhere else in his head. All this at 8.30am.

It makes you think- with all the legal highs, cannabis, prescription meds etc in peoples systems and them getting behind the wheel- are we really safe at commuting times? Forget alcohol- I feel other substances are the iceberg.

ernie67

It was ( like others have said ) an incredible thing to watch – you couldn’t believe the calmness of everyone as they were pretty much performing heart surgery in the middle of London .
    Huge respect to everyone in that profession .

project
    Free Member

Makes you so proud of the NHS and the staff training they provide, got to be a television highlight of the year, but for the staff involved how the hell do you relax after that experience…..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mrs and I with dearest daughter just watched on catch up. All had a tear in the eye at the end. They are the people who should be on “footballer” wages. I so hope the daughter decides to go in that direction career wise..

lowey

Watched it last night on catchup… totally humbling. I’m in awe of these people and the NHS.

noteeth
    Free Member

Outstanding documentary – heartbreaking though it was.

wwaswas

Just watched this.

Chapeau to all involved in the care of those people.

It shows that the NHS is worth fighting to keep.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just a slightly different view point.

As soon as Mrs FD (trauma surgeon) saw what he was doing she was surprised, because when they do that in the hospital environment the survival rate is pretty much zero.

Unfortunately the girl was pretty dead anyhow, so nothing to loose by trying it. There is the argument that nature should be allowed to take its course.

cbike
    Free Member

yep pretty good. The blurred nipples and non linear style do annoy me though. Bring back tommorows world, rescue and 999!

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I watched this, very sobering. I see the young lad learnt his lesson though and his parents for that matter. Bazzin about on the bmx sans head protection.

wwaswas

Bazzin about on the bmx sans head protection

helmets aren’t a panacea…

[that’s me done on the ‘wear a helmet’ argument for this thread]

dr_death
    Free Member

Only had to open about half a dozen chests in my life but incredibly satisfying when it works.
    The NHS is a wonderful organisation and we are in danger of losing it if we don’t fight for it.

As an aside FunkyDunk, the evidence for on-scene thoracotamy is pretty compelling, given the alternative and HEMS have a comparatively good survival rate. If the survival rate in MrsFD’s hospital is practically zero then her hospital needs to look at why they are doing it and on whom….

faustus

I watched this last night too, and it was utterly compelling and very moving. I have nothing to do with the NHS, but it made me very proud that we as a country have it, and that it provides this remarkable level of service.

I guess I naturally identified more with the cyclist, and it was moving to see everything they did to keep her alive, even though it ultimately failed. I shed a few tears at the end when they revealed she did not survive, and spoke to her family who were grateful they could be with her before she passed away.

Drac

As an aside FunkyDunk, the evidence for on-scene thoracotamy is pretty compelling, given the alternative and HEMS have a comparatively good survival rate.

Agreed there’s a big difference between on scene and arrival to hospital.

Not fancy the HEMS car Dr_Death?

dr_death
    Free Member

They can’t afford me Drac

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘An hour to save your life, tonight 21.00 bbc 2’ is closed to new replies.