Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • America goes CyCotic
  • tollah
    Free Member

Good on them! Cotic make nice bikes.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Good to see a UK company spreading its wings. I wish Cy the best of luck.

RealMan
    Free Member

I thought Americans didn’t do steel. Or anyone else not from the UK.

Rickos
    Free Member

CEN has probably helped with insurance for the US market. Hemlock notable in it’s absence though?

ctk
    Free Member

Cotic 29er coming soon?

james
    Free Member

No Hemlock, its a four bar/FSR/horst link. Specialized owns the US(/North America?) patent, cotic doesn’t pay to use it (just as many european brands dont’)

james
    Free Member

tang
    Free Member

yup theres a 29er on the way. no way cotic could go to the states without one these days.

Rickos
    Free Member

Specialized’s patent runs out either next year or 2012 which will be interesting for Euro brands using the Horst link.

walleater

How about Canada?

stuey
    Free Member

How much do Specialized charge for their Horst-sticker?

cy

Thanks guys, I’m really excited about it. There’s no Hemlock (or X or Roadrat despite the article) yet because we’re taking it slow and building up from our solid hardtail products. We have plans to take the X into the US next summer as we’ve already missed their ‘cross season (which tends to run August to November due to snow over the winter in a lot of places), and the RoadRat will go too once Niall at EU Cycle Imports and his reps and got out to the shops with that. Hemlock is still on ‘wait and see’ more for market build up reasons than anything else. As a small player it’s pretty easy to sort the FSR licence should we so wish. And yes, we are working on a 29er, but that’s not coming for about another year. These things take time.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Nice one Cy. Good luck with it mate.

Duggan

Ok, noob question I guess- how come on the Roadrat the brake rotor is on the drive side (front)?

ahwiles
    Free Member

so that the braking reaction forces due to the wheel rotation drive the axle up/into the dropout – not down/out of the dropout.

it’s entirely possible i made that up.

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

http://www.cotic.co.uk/geek/#ROADHOG_discmount

For the reason the brake mount is on the drive side front, as ahwiles said it’s to do with braking forces.

kelvin

…and it makes it easier to fit a front mudguard when running discs.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Just a wee thought, but with that front-mounted disc, the rotor would be moving through the caliper in the opposite direction to the one the manufacturer intended (short of some very interesting hose routing).

Doubt it makes any practical difference as most pads are more or less symmetrical these days.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Steveomcd – brakes work backwards. Trust me!

walleater

stevomcd – Member
    Just a wee thought, but with that front-mounted disc, the rotor would be moving through the caliper in the opposite direction to the one the manufacturer intended (short of some very interesting hose routing).

Doubt it makes any practical difference as most pads are more or less symmetrical these days.

Going to a 15mm bolt thru set up would be much more elegant, just as fast to remove the wheel and be near enough as light.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

great news cy! well done and good luck! just got the soda and x frame in and they look cracking! 😆

Northwind

walleater – Member

“Going to a 15mm bolt thru set up would be much more elegant, just as fast to remove the wheel and be near enough as light.”

But would massively restrict wheel choice- not as many 15mm road or hybrid wheels out there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nor would 15mm help in fitting mudguards.

cy

Shimano have launched a 9mm version of the QR15 standard for trekking bikes which I’m watching quite closely, but for now I think the set up works well.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

merikens do steel, plenty of niche meisters over there, from eastern woods research in pennsylvania

http://www.ewrbikes.com/owb_specs

to walt works in colorado

http://www.waltworks.com/dev/index.php

but almost everybody seems to ride 29ers.

Good luck to Cy, what with On One buying Titus its interesting times for UK brands’ potential expansion.

Hornet600
    Free Member

Good luck Cy, hope all goes well over there. Good to see some exchange in the other direction!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘America goes CyCotic’ is closed to new replies.