Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)
  • am i missing the point??
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

haha ^^

coogan
    Free Member

but why buy something you will never get the best from it. surely its better to spend a little less £1.5k on something that will do everything the same?

How is that better?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

yes its all relavent i no…. just wondered so i thought i would post my question

the-muffin-man

I'm so poor technically that I couldn't get the max out of a £150 Argos bike!!!

…hmmm perhaps I shouldn't have spent 2k on a Ti hardtail?

I am a silly!

allthepies
    Free Member

Nick – have you got a speadsheet you can share with us to work out what bike is suitable ? Would help LOADS, ta.

njee20
    Free Member

its normal if you have the cash u would buy it.

So you do get it…

Amos
    Free Member

I've a 575 with 36's I ride most of the time, I also have a 1990 Clcokwork Orange I ride from time to time, took me about 16 years to eventually get the bike of my dreams don't judge people by what they ride mate, live and let live eh

khani
    Free Member

peaple spend more on golf clubs when their crap
    peaple buy porche's when they've never been on a track
    some women spend more on shoes when they dont walk anywhere
    some men spend much more on watches when time dos'nt matter
    blah blah blah

why not bikes?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

why not, i was just asking,

is this a sensitve topic on here then??

clearly allthepies is a little touchy… 😉

well i no i cant ride pure dh so guess what i dont buy a dh bike… 😉

i dont ride jumps so guess what i dont buy?? a jump bike !! 😉

allthepies is a little challenged maybe.

to all you normal people- i personally am not great so i wouldnt buy a great bike even if i have the cash to do so.

i bought my bike to what i think is my capabilities or maybe if im a little under i think within a sensible time period i will be at the point.

im not a brand new rider buying a £3k bike and tootling around.

if you do this, like someone said, yes its personal choise. im not sayin your a bad person!!! im just asking do people just do this?

khani
    Free Member

yes loads, all the big bike companys would be bankrupt otherwise

tonyg2003

one of the guys I ride with has been riding for 6 months. He's got an oldish 80mm Rockhopper. He's enjoying riding with us so he's bought a fully blinged Orange 5 SE. I'm sure that he'll never be a riding god or get the absolute most out of it, but he's riding things that he wouldn't before and enjoying riding more. He's a wealthy guy and £4K for a bike is no problem. He's happy. I don't judge neither should anyone else.

emac65
    Free Member

It's not a sensitve subject at all,it's one that crops up every 6 months or so when someone is bored & thinks they're the first one to do it….Hell, about 5 years ago I even did it myself & I certainly wasn't the first…..

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

im not on here for even 6 months yet, so my bad.

im not judging by any means. i was just curious tony.

if your progressing past your rockhopper which was £400 or something anyway and you have the money then good for the guy.

just thought i would ask as i saw it yesterday for the first time in uk and just so happend to be in surrey, where my folks have a house

aP
    Free Member

Why do they need a house? Surely a flat would be enough for them?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

when they have the money why not??? 😉 isnt that the general concesus here??

maybe i now get the point?

Amos
    Free Member

Yep that's about it mate! 😆

Marmoset
    Free Member

Bear in mind that an expensive bike is much more accessible that a sports car form £40k upwards, I view it as the probably the pastime that I do where I can justify top line piece of kit, I know a Les Paul guitar would be wasted on me so my £99 guitar will suffice for that particular hobby. I'd like to think that my riding can justify expensive bikes but some days it's not to be 😀

I don't know what amuses me more. ATGNI posers, or blokes on £600 hardtails who hanker after an expensive bike, but not being able to afford one feel the need to justify why they don't need one.

My £4k 6" travel, carbon framed bike doesn't take me anywhere I haven't been on my £500 HT (which sported some 80mm Manitou Spyders last time it went down Jacobs Ladder). It makes it a damn sight more enjoyable though.

Poor troll btw.

coogan
    Free Member

Why do they need a house? Surely a flat would be enough for them?

That made moi giggle.

pitduck
    Free Member

Emac what on earth is a a Cornish mile?is it like a normal mile but with butter? 😆

scaredypants

haven't read all that

was any dust involved ??

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    I don't know what amuses me more. ATGNI posers, or blokes on £600 hardtails who hanker after an expensive bike, but not being able to afford one feel the need to justify why they don't need one.

My £4k 6" travel, carbon framed bike doesn't take me anywhere I haven't been on my £500 HT (which sported some 80mm Manitou Spyders last time it went down Jacobs Ladder). It makes it a damn sight more enjoyable though.

Poor troll btw.

i got a more expensive bike than £600 i was using that as a example of what we were all riding yday when i borrowed the bike from a friend.

so once again im not jealous of the bikes some of you may have.

i personally find it a waste of money from a talentless person but thats not for me to say. its your money etc…. so i wont get into that AGAIN..

o well… atleast we no how some people see their hobby as just a show off or extension of their life style 😉 fire 😉

leider

lg

xx

bussal

juan
    Free Member

Well would you be able to ride a fully rigid with cantilever down a hill as fast as any world class DHer?

If the answer is no, you're over biked too…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Maybe that TALENTLESS person just enjoys riding and has the money to buy the bike. Maybe that bike helps them to ride and makes it eaiser to do harder things.

I ski and i bought top of the range ski's, did i need them no, did i want them yes.

falkirk-mark

But how do you know Leith hill is the hardest place they ride (or should they have a cheap bike for that and keep their more expensive one for going up north ?). I think you could be assuming too much or did you ask if thats the only place they ride.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

the quality of trolling these days is shite

1/10 poor effort 8)

owenfackrell
    Free Member

You would proberly same that my bike is over kill for a pootle around the new forest but as I do aslo use it for otherthings how do you know that these riders don't? If they are happy with what they bought what's your problem it's not like it's your money they have spent on it is it?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i spoke to a few groups of guys…

i had wrote above already….

alpin
    Free Member

Nick_Christy – Member

why not, i was just asking,

is this a sensitve topic on here then??

haha… seems so.

i agree with the OP.

i posted about some guz on a 3.5k Trek not being able to stand still on the spot and got a slagging.

i went out for a ride yesterday with a woman from my english class and a few of her friends. one guy on a carbon Scott Genius, another on a carbon Cube, the women on funky fullys. i rocked up with my STEEL(!) HT with bolt thru forks weighing in at 14.4kg – a good two/three KGs more than any other bike there. we rode 67km and only 200m of that was single trail – and that was a climb. we spent just as much time on tarmac as rough stuff. and yet one was complaining that his shock wasn't set up right….. the ride, was however made more interesting when one told me that she didn't have a hair on her body and her mate said she only had a "little strip" whilst motioning to where it was. her mate then invited to her private sauna. all a little surreal…

met one guy at the bottom of a 'berg' who'd just bought a 6.5k€ Liteville 301 kitted out with Fox Talas, X.0/XTR, DT Swiss etc. asked if he wanted to join us, he did, but ended up walking almost 50% of the way down whilst i was (ragging) on my 130'd-mm Sanderson.

last weekend i was on a course near Garmisch. some made snide comments/shit jokes about my heavy steel frame. there were lots of funky, FS bikes made of plastic (carbon) costing thousands with middle aged men sat upon them. THB, it was shocking watching some of them mince/walk over sections of trail that any rider worth their salt would glide over. one guy going round corners with his inside pedal dropped. or trying to ride a switchback with his inside foot forward. or walking down a set of three (3!) steps.

the problem is, is that too many people have too much money. i can understand (whilst disliking big cars) why people buy them despite having little driving skill. you're only ever going to go as fast as the car infront or as fast as the law allows (and when you do go fast it's usually in a straight line). you're not generally going to be put to the test/your skills shown up. with a bike you're skills are there for all to see. there are no rules regarding how fast you can go, whether or not you can drive/ride down the steps.

but i've come to accept and laugh at this paradox. it provides us lesser mortals (at least with regards to our contribution to the economy) with cheaper and better bike parts on the second hand market that enable us, the biking prophets, to advance our riding until we are the proverbial riding gods.

HTH

falkirk-mark

Well they probably have plenty of cash then so why not (you cannot take it with you)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

what company you guiding for alpin?

alpin
    Free Member

probably best i don't say… it might be detrimental to the firms success; don't know how many fans i've got on here.

you'll probably guess it sooner or later when i start posting up pics of my exploits.
    other than to say they're relatively big and german.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Nicky, you are a prick. You know the answer to your "question" yet you perpetuate this bollocks thread. Let it die.

DrP

"I walked past a restaurant the other day and someone was eating a delicious looking steak, with lovely glazed veg, and some sweet looking roast potatoes.
    I ran into the restaurant and started screaming at the top of my voice as to what a pointless venture this was, and that a medium sized bowl of flavourless protenacious goop, and a vitamin tablet, would provide the exact same substances they needed to repair their cells….."

Different story, same a$$hole with a chip on his shoulder spouting off about how everyone should make the same life choices as him…..

Geesh!

DrP

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

alpin – Member

probably best i don't say… it might be detrimental to the firms success; don't know how many fans i've got on here.

you'll probably guess it sooner or later when i start posting up pics of my exploits.
    other than to say they're relatively big and german.
    Well I have some time for a few Alpine breaks this year, I'll ride with you and see how good you are. Then I can come on here and say you're good or really rubbish. Sort of like a willy waving exercise. Although I've never met a guide with your kind of attitude yet – so you may be the first to break the mold.

Hope you're fit now, I seem to remember you asking advice on some pretty basic things not long ago..

dasnut
    Free Member

the problem is, is that too many people have too much money

I lol'd
    you mean too many middle aged male mountain bikers have too much money surely?

dasnut
    Free Member

I seem to remember you asking advice on some pretty basic things not long ago..

I find clicking on the "member" nest to the users name, and seeing what threads they started quite illuminating, usually.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

alpin comments made me chuckle!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

so im asking basic things, yes that makes it worse then !!! or not?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

johnbot, if u dont like the thread then **** off??

haha o thanks for your er……. input

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘am i missing the point??’ is closed to new replies.