am i missing the point??

Home Forum Bike Forum am i missing the point??

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 159 total)
  • am i missing the point??
  • Jamie

the amount of people who were riding £2k+ bikes… orange, heckler etc…

They can afford to buy them so they have bought them. If it makes them happy all is good.

radoggair

because they can and want to will be the reason.

Bit like saying why do people buy ferraris and lambos when they wont ever use it to the max. Because they can and want to.

defeats the point of having such a GREAT bike when people are using them to the full capabilities doesnt it??

if i had a ferrari i would stick it on track not pootle on b roads…
    if i had a orange i would abuse it and geat everything out of it not pootle on flats and slight inclines?

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

Yep, you are missing the point

emac65

Yep,you're missing the point by a Cornish mile pal….

haha fair point…

just when im flying past all these expensive bikes im thinking 'they saw you coming with your fat wallet'

while they are huffing and puffing or tootling around

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

You were in Surrey. Plenty of people drop £3-4K on bikes. At least 3 of the 10 I rode with today were on bikes like that and 5-6 of us had bikes like that at home. The reason why – because they can and these bikes ride well.

You will also find that "some" of the riders are very good, ride down seriously technical stuff and get alot out of their bikes. Plus many of us regularly ride trail centres and more technical stuff.

allthepies

point missed + 1

Just another "I am considerably better than yowse thread…."

thats a fair point…. and im sure there are people out there that are good riders.. but im sure there is also a lot that aint like i saw yday

allthepies – not at all… im by far a good rider hence why im not paying £2k for a bike thats clearly better than me. i was just asking thats all. im interested.

i no if you have money then why not. but i would feel a little silly riding about on something so dear that i cant ride.

imagine going on a track with a ferrari and being overtaken by a pug 106 because you cant drive…

?

It's kind of like art…

I don't get the Mona Lisa, but lots of people do.

Besides that, just because you've spent £x on your bike doesn't mean you have to go eyeballs out everywhere all the time.

geetee1972

Nick – I ride surrey hills to. My bike cost me well over £2k and I guarantee that I will whip your sarcy arse all over any hill you care to name on it.

Premier Icon pypdjl
    Subscriber

Maybe they didn't realise it was a competition to ride the cheapest bike…

Premier Icon simon1975
    Subscriber

I blame the magazines 😈

haha but when i piss on a orange 5 with my pop pop i think your a sad **** with too much money 😉

Ride what you like.

allthepies

>haha but when i piss on a orange 5 with my pop pop i think your a sad **** with too much money

>Just another "I am considerably better than yowse thread…."
    >allthepies – not at all.

🙄

😉 just being er…. 'sarcy'

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

haha but when i piss on a orange 5 with my pop pop i think your a sad **** with too much money

ping! the real reason is revealed, you are jealous

haha no im trying to see how people justify their expensive bikes when some poeple clearly cant ride them to their capabilities…

im back on holiday using a friends, my bike is at home in austria so im just wondering as its the first time ive witnessed it in the uk.

back home its normaly to ride these big bikes. because we have real hills.. 😉

allthepies

Did you tell the other riders it was a race or did you keep it to yourself ?

Talkemada

Maybe they didn't realise it was a competition to ride the cheapest bike…

I'm taking me skip-rescue hybrid hack bike next time! (Niche 29er SS, innit? 😉 )

Whenever I see people who aren't nearly as intelligent or funny as me posting on STW, rather than Mleh or whatever, I just don't get it. I mean, they're obviously over-forumed for their abilities….

There's a kid who is sometimes on the trails I ride. He is forever criticising people for the way they ride, if they don't ride over the jumps. If they're an xc rider coming past the jumps. If they've got a more expensive bike than him, but can't ride as well as him. I remember him casing the small jumps all last year.

No one likes him.

emac65

back home its normaly to ride these big bikes. because we have real hills..

You know what to do then,foxtrot oscar back home then…. 8)

haha i wasnt riding but when i see they have no technical skill!

i wasnt racing down, when i say i piss past them, i mean riding past not going 35000000 mph!!! haha funny how some people get funny when im only asking why they spend money on it.

Your argument stands up as long as nobody on a bike worth the same or less than yours ever overtakes you.

My bikes used to be lower-end and usually were completely knackered. Then I got a good job, more cash, a family and much less time to ride… guess what happened? 😆

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

wow Nick_Christy I'm impressed big hills you say – you must ride professionally?

b r

£2k?

Didn't realise that people in Surrey were so poor, they must have been from North London or elsewhere.

Frizzer

My Sov is capable of far more than I can throw at it but that's the point. It gives me room to progress rather than buying something suited to my current skill level which I'd get bored of quickly.
    Also as it's singlespeedable and has adjustable chainstays I can build it up to do whatever I want so hopefully it'll be the only bike I need. For those reasons (and the fact that I can afford it) I can justify the cost of it.
    I love my Evil! 😀

emac is clearly the cleverest person on here…back to the original question

emac65

It's a pretty poor troll btw…. 🙄

thank you frizzer finally someone talking sense other than being stroppy 😉

coogan

haha no im trying to see how people justify their expensive bikes when some poeple clearly cant ride them to their capabilities…

Who cares. My bikes a £2k frame, dunno if I ride it to the max or not and nor do I care. I wanted one, I could afford one, so I got one. Simple as. Maybe bike shops should run test auditions instead of test rides. See if the person is worthy of the bike…

Premier Icon the-muffin-man
    Subscriber

Missing the point +1

Some people drive expensive cars – some people like bangernomics – both get you from A > B.

Frizzer

thank you frizzer finally someone talking sense other than being stroppy

No problem, you're welcome!

Premier Icon tonyg2003
    Subscriber

"just wondering how people justify spending so much on a bike" Look around at the money in Surrey. People don't justify, they just want good bikes and buy them.

i dont care if you care was only a simple question asking why people buy them. if you can they obviosuly you would buy it.

but why buy something you will never get the best from it. surely its better to spend a little less £1.5k on something that will do everything the same?

emac65

Some people buy expensive trainers but run really slow,I often scoff at them as I tear past in my £2.50 plimsolls………

yes in surrey its normal. i saw 2 hecklers on the back of a porsche made me chuckle…

like i said already.

its normal if you have the cash u would buy it.

emac65

but why buy something you will never get the best from it. surely its better to spend a little less £1.5k on something that will do everything the same?

To some people(not me I might add)1.5k is not a lot of money….

coogan

How is that better?

yes its all relavent i no…. just wondered so i thought i would post my question

Premier Icon the-muffin-man
    Subscriber

I'm so poor technically that I couldn't get the max out of a £150 Argos bike!!!

…hmmm perhaps I shouldn't have spent 2k on a Ti hardtail?

I am a silly!

allthepies

Nick – have you got a speadsheet you can share with us to work out what bike is suitable ? Would help LOADS, ta.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

its normal if you have the cash u would buy it.

So you do get it…

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘am i missing the point??’ is closed to new replies.