Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Am i having a blonde moment. Oneup rad cage.
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Right, the rad cage is supposedly meant to improve things on large cassettes by altering the way the upper jockey wheel tracks across the cassette, it supposedly does this by offsetting the jockey wheel axle from the lower cage’s pivot point.

From what i can actually see, the pivot location of the lower cage is determined by the fixing point in the knuckle, to be specific, the mounting axle for the roller bearing which is part of the clutch mechanism. The rad cage, hence jockey wheel attaches to this same point as the shimano cage, it doesn’t offset the pivot point or the top jockey form this pivot point in a different way to the standard shimano cage.

What does the RAD cage actually do?

singlespeedstu

It does offset the top jockey wheel.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Blonde moment fixed.

Jpckey wheel mounting point and cage mounting point are different locations, pivot isn’t shared by the two.

singlespeedstu

🙂

It also improved the shifting on my setup by a large amount.
    Before i fitted the cage it was very hit and miss. Now it’s pretty much spot on.

pedlad

Where are you buying these from?

Northwind

It didn’t improve my shifting at all tbh but it did mean I didn’t need to spend hours setting the thing up- the standard mech was really very hard to get working right, I ended up setting it up on the turbo. The OneUp is just like setting up any other mech. Which is totally worth it! And also, should mean it’s less demanding of perfect setup, more tolerant of knocks and dirty cables and that.

maxtorque

Could you just redrill & tap (thread) the std cage?

dudeofdoom

+1 for Rad love..

I’ve got the 42 oneup and the shifting on my medium xt is sweet and setup was easy……

I’d originally had a long xtr and it was very hit and miss 🙁

honourablegeorge

Sold – just bought one

pedlad

Wavering on this. Getting mid cage xt with hope 40t. Should I just see how it runs first or would you users think it definitely improves the set up irrespective of what size range extended. And once more where from?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

You can run it with the original cage and it will work OK. I ran my xt cassette with 40trex and SLC med cage like that for a couple of months. Using the red cage just make it work like a standard drive train, rather than like a very slightly sticky cable set up. Its worth 20 quid

“Wavering on this. Getting mid cage xt with hope 40t. Should I just see how it runs first or would you users think it definitely improves the set up irrespective of what size range extended. And once more where from?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST”

eddiebaby
    Free Member
    goodgrief
    Free Member

It made quite a difference for me, shifts almost like a standard 11-36 set-up now.
    I was using the oneup 16t cog but it didn’t run smoothly and the 13-16 gap felt too large to me. Back on 15t now.

chris_db
    Free Member

Improved my shifting 100%, now as slick as a standard XT setup.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

………….can this be run on old 7090 di2 like the offset ki2 k-edge kit?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Substantial improvement to the shifting for me, it was always slow shifting one way or the other with the standard cage, but the RAD cage sorted it.
    Interesting that the 10spd SRAM mechs are already like this with the jockey offset from the pivot and they shift just fine with the expander sprocket.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Am i having a blonde moment. Oneup rad cage.’ is closed to new replies.