Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garage door oddness…
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Went to close it last night – nothing, totally dead. It had power (could hear the relay in the safety sensor clicking and the light was on) but it wouldn’t budge so I wound it down manually.

Today – working fine.

(This is the second time in the last two months, identical symptom/fix)

So – what is likely to be the problem? It’s got me foxed.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

Bit worried about this myself. The electric door is the only way in and out of my garage, so if it got stuck up or down I’d be in a bit of a pickle!

johndoh
    Free Member

Same here – only way in and out but fortunately we do have a manual override handle. It takes about 10 minutes to open it like that though!

molgrips
    Free Member

Mine has a cord you can pull to let it up and down, but.. you have to be inside to operate it. So if it’s stuck open, how do I get it down? And if I manage that, how do I get back inside to fix/replace the motor? I can’t leave it open full of bikes.

johndoh
    Free Member

Leave the bikes on the lawn.

johndoh
    Free Member

Anyone else? HELP!

trail_rat
    Free Member

fwiw molgrips …. you may find your door has the weakness that most low priced electric doors have.

a lot of electric doors are not as secure as you think for the most part – especially the ones you find on most modern mass built houses from the big developers. you can pay a good chunk more and get a much more secure one but as you know – if you did that you’d have no other way in. id always suggest a pair of side bolts at the bottom if you keep anything of value in.

amazing what you find out working on building sites and needing power – watching a worky open an electric door with a brush with a nail on it (and not damaging) it because the siteforeman isn’t there yet is an eye opener.

trail_rat
    Free Member

also is it possible your motors jamming up john ? next time it does it , try only winding it one turn by hand and then using the clicker.

johndoh
    Free Member

I tried that – tried winding it up/down with the manual handle and also pulling/pushing at the door itself (whilst pressing the remote button) but nothing happened.

I have just read that it might be a faulty capacitor.

wwaswas

This is worth a watch for garage door problems;

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1qwz5_mon-oncle-extrait_news

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garage door oddness…’ is closed to new replies.