Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Alu Hardtail Recommendations – Trek 8500, perhaps?
  • cqed
    Free Member

Folks,

In an attempt to get fit in good time for the cross season, and to get me back out on the mtb, I’m going to sell my well-loved 2000 P7 and will replace it with something lighter and stiffer.

After having seen too many snapped carbon frames in cross races, the questionable durability of carbon coupled with the expense is leading me to seriously consider an aluminium hardtail.

My budget is £2K and the bike will be used for XC races, hacking round local trails and the occasional trip to real hills.

I’ve had a look at the Trek 8500 and that looks fairly well specced. Otherwise, at around that price point, most suppliers seem now to selling lower specced carbon bikes.

Can anyone recommend a good alu hardtail for £2K? Any views on the Trek 8500?

Thanks,

Tom.

chorlton
    Free Member

I’ve only just got rid of my 2002 Trek frame that’s been hanging in the garage for the past 3 years since I replaced it with a P7. 🙂
    I don’t know about the new frames but mine was very stiff and would have been very light with decent components on.
    If I’d have known, then you could have had it. Can’t believe I took it to the tip. 😥

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

The trek looks pretty good, I would say.
    Not as well equipped, but I do really like the Orange Elite. I bought the frame and built it up myself, but also rode the stock specced bike with the performance pack, on a demo. It’s a really nice bike to ride, feels fast and confidence inspiring. Climbs very nicely and descends equally as well, as well as any hardtail I have ridden.
    Your usage sounds very like mine.
    Certainly worth a look/demo.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Trek isn’t nearly niche enough to be recommend on STW. You also have to buy some thing with a stupid childish name…. that makes them a much better bike. Pre ordering is also the way to go to get a bike.

NJA

I have had mine for three years now and it is pretty much perfect for the riding you describe.

Just about to set off on the C2C for the second time on it and it does a good job even when loaded up with kit.

druidh
    Free Member

cqed – Member
    After having seen too many snapped carbon frames in cross races, the questionable durability of carbon

Seriously? You’ve never seen a broken aluminium or steel frame then?

curlie467
    Free Member

Scott scale or a Cannondale flash 1?

somouk
    Free Member

I ride a Trek 6500 which is a couple of steps down from the 8500 and mine is fantastic for the mix of riding you mention.

Plus you have big brand life time guarantee on it.

tomaso
    Free Member

If you want fast and racey then one of the German brnads should be able to offer something well speced and v light.
    Canyon do this XTR equipped alloy hardtail canyon

MrGFisher
    Free Member

I have a 2011 Trek 8000. I bought it over the 8500 purely because its the same frame and i liked the colours better on the 8000. I also knew id be changing the wheels and brakes, so it wasnt worth spending the extra. Ive had a few of these now. Great bikes.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I’ve got an 8500 as my ahem (do less badly at) race bike. I love it, the only problem is I break myself by over doing it everytime I use it. Last group ride we did the comment was passed that I was probably on EPO! (I usually ride a 140mm travel 31 lb full susser)

The stock tyres are only good on bone dry, dust free surfaces but that’s my only gripe.

mooman
    Free Member

I have an old Trek6500. Superb frame. Maybe not niche enough for some …but the best racey xc bike i have ever ridden.

I ‘d love the 8500 frame.

bobster
    Free Member

I used to have an 8500 a few years back, very good bike, you won’t be disappointed if you get one.

However:

Can anyone recommend a good alu hardtail for £2K?

I would seriously recommend that you take a look at a Whyte 19 Trail if you can stretch your budget a little or get one knocked down. I was genuinely blown away by the one I rode, plenty light enough, climbs like a climby thing on steroids and was plenty nimble enough in the singletrack.

cqed
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I’ll take a look at all of these.

Rosss
    Free Member

I brought a 2009 Trek 6300 for £600 and spent the money on upgrading. It was the nicest colour IMO and I’ve only spent £300ish on upgrading. Shame since the pitch arrived I havent used it once, the rubber and wheels are brand new. It could be time to sell it

rp16v
    Free Member

built up my felt q920 from frame up and i have to say it handles lovley mine rrp’s at about £1200 for full build but they do a higher level with carbon rear end or full alloy xc/do it all hardtails definatley worth a look as they often get overlooked

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Alu Hardtail Recommendations – Trek 8500, perhaps?’ is closed to new replies.