Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Alps weather, right now, at the moment……it's…….
  • lucien

Pi$$ing down, heavily and has been all day. Left UK earlier than expected (Weds morning) and headed for La Bresse Bike Park to get my eye in for Les Gets next week. I’m currently thinking an Ark would have been better than a bike. Moved on a bit to Metabief, and found a good campsite – still raining and forecast is rain Fri, rain Sat, rain Sun. Most of the Alps seems the same at the moment.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

duff
    Free Member

Been watching the weather recently as it does look dire – I changed my flight from last Sat and am heading out next Tues. The forecast is looking better after the weekend, hope it dries out fast!

Simon

Yep, got some mates out in Chatel right now and they’re perfecting their mud riding skills 🙂

theblackmount
    Free Member

Raining on the mountains – who’d have thought…

iolo
    Free Member
    maxtorque

Seems the Mega’s a bit sticky too:

yikes!

scaled
    Free Member

Ah, Manchester here. I think there might have been a mix up with the weather deliveries.

Northwind

Someone out in haute savoie ordered a chainring bolt from CRC, and they posted it in a box so big it contained our entire climate

bigjim

Yes just been checking out the snow cover at La Plagne on the webcams. Was considering joining my parents on holiday in the Jura mountains this week, 11C and raining there, 20C and sunny here!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m in Lugano and it’s bloody hot and dry 😆

ChrisE
    Free Member

Setting off to Oberstdorf in 36hours for a Transalp. Forecast has been bad but looks much better from now.

phew – we didn’t choose last week (but having TdF in our back-yard clinched it anyway)

C

trout
    Free Member

Sorry for the small hijack
    ChrisE whats the riding like around Oberstdorf
    cos we are going there in sept

timidwheeler
    Free Member

It briefly stopped raining in Tignes this morning.

The bottom of Jump Around.

Thankfully it has gone back to raining again. The lifts have been closed all day and the trails are just mudbaths.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Am in Les Gets and it’s rained pretty much constantly for the past three days, which by all accounts is really unusual. Not many people about on bikes at all.

Chavannes is a bit of a mess, could only manage a handful of runs before I lost the will. Off to Chatel tomorrow come rain or shine.

rockhopper70

I’m reading this, every time the post updates, hoping, desperately, that someone is going to say that the sun is going to come out on Friday and dry everything out. Myself and 6 others arrive in Morzine tomorrow for three days of gloop by the looks of it. I’ve even bought a novel to pass the time.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Mega is a bit different from the norm. This is just outside the top of the DMC lift, about 5 minutes in to the qualifier.

The mud lower down is ‘interesting’ too.

boxelder

Rain sounds a relief. I’m tired of blowing the dust off the bike after riding the mountains of the Lakes at the moment. All the dry ground is making trails far to fast and then struggling to choose from all those locally brewed beers………….merde.
    Have fun chrisE, hope the new grips bring those trails alive.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I’m reading this, every time the post updates, hoping, desperately, that someone is going to say that the sun is going to come out on Friday and dry everything out.

I suspect it might take more than a day of sun to dry the trails out.

geetee1972
    Free Member

That’s the thing with the Alps. You have to be prepared for all kinds of weather regardless of the time of year. They say it snows on at least one day of the month every month at the highest points you can access by the lifts.

JEngledow
    Free Member

We’re driving down tonight and I think I’ll be needing the mud tyres 😥

mugsys_m8

Feel sorry for anyone in or heading to the French Alps. First week of school holidays here and we have been stuck inside all week so far. Thinking about lighting the fire. 1m plus of fresh snow at 3000m odd.

ahwiles
    Free Member

question.

given that it rains *a bit* in Scotland, and Wales. That there’s nothing magically destructive about rain in France.

Why can’t the French build bike trails that can stand up to rain?

fyi, My parents saw snow in Yorkshire last week.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im have no pity for those capitalist pigs who choose to go abroad.
    Why go to the Alps when we have Skegness and Bridlington?

Trimix
    Free Member

I like this thread. Last nights ride round the Chilterns was fast and bone dry. Makes me quite content with my decision not to go to the Alps this summer. 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

Someone out in haute savoie ordered a chainring bolt from CRC, and they posted it in a box so big it contained our entire climate

Genius post of the week

D0NK

presumably it takes a lot more effort to build weather proof trails and if it hardly ever rains like that during the mtb season there’s not much point…?

ahwiles
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

if it hardly ever rains like that during the mtb season there’s not much point…?

it’s the French Alps, heavy rain that hangs around for days is never far away.

Northwind

If it’s like this when I’m out there I’m going to give stevo a chinese burn.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I was there last week for the passportes. Utter mudbath…

Sui
    Free Member

I’m of to Chatel for a long weekend 17th – 21st next week. PLease let sun come out.. 🙁

D0NK

it’s the French Alps, heavy rain that hangs around for days is never far away.

ah right. Dunno then.

edit presumably their business model works otherwise it wouldn’t draw so many people. Mind you their business model might be “it’ll be reet in a couple of days and there’ll still be plenty of rosbifs flying in, just shutdown the lifts til it stops raining” not good for those just calling in for a long weekend tho 🙁

atlaz
    Free Member

They were selling off mud tyres at Freeride in Morzine a couple of weeks back. Time to buy them up if you’re going

maxtorque

Northwind
    If it’s like this when I’m out there I’m going to give stevo a chinese burn.

Me too, i’ll take his right arm, you have his left!!

(19-26th july for me!)

mugsys_m8

We don’t ride in the rain because we don’t have to. We wait for the sun 😆

It is not the same type of landscape, topography, vegetation cover etc, it is not the same rain. Think heavy torrents, washouts etc. In heavy weather there is a lot more to be concerned with than muddy bike trails.

Rain plays a small part so not much concession is made for it where it adversely affects ‘playing’. Bit like the UK and their preparation for snow.

makkag
    Free Member

im not off with family to tignes till 24th so im hoping for a late bright summer !

Then verbier in september with the lads

I usually go out this week for my birthday – kinda thanking my lucky stars at the moment ! looks horrendous

jameso

It’s a shame but what can you do, it’s a gamble. Weather patterns seem to have been less reliable in recent years. We have to consider why .. as well as have a realistic take on these things.

“When you go to the mountains, expect mountain weather” as a guide told us once. I’ve been to the Alps for a week’s climbing (just amateur bimbling on easier routes) and got nowhere due to conditions, we did 3 trips before we actually got on top of anything. We’ve spent most of 3 days sat in a chalet in Morzine while it rained solidly but half a dozen runs on the Pleney in the worst rain I’ve seen out there was still one of the most memorable days riding I’ve done there.

Because the trails are long, it’d be too expensive and the locals are off riding stuff that doesn’t get hammered all summer I expect.

ahwiles
    Free Member

…Because the trails are long…

they’re really not, i’m surprised just how short they are considering the vertical drop. And i’d be surprised if the km’s of trail at GT were much less than the km’s of trail at the Chatel bike park)

…it’d be too expensive…

how much is a weeks lift pass these days? £80? – they can afford it.

i suspect that the French don’t build surfaced trails because they know they don’t have to, we’ll go anyway.

mugsys_m8

You have got too big a chip on your shoulder! They don’t build surfaced trails because they don’t. It is as simple as that.Nothing to do with ripping the tourists off. Any type of purpose built mtb trail in France is rare enough over the whole country, let alone a surfaced one. We live next to an ideal large forest with vert gains of Glentress size, but no rock outcropping. It could be very very good with built surfaced trails or even any trail other than the tracks it has. But no one thinks like that. Just look at the amount of rock cliffs that no one climbs on, again unclimbed rock is unheard of in the UK.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I’d like to point out that what most of you refer to as the ‘French Alps’ is in fact the ‘northern alps’.
    Do not compare the weather in Morzine or even Tignes with the weather in the Ecrin and generally the Alps south of Grenoble.

In summer you can have proper summer weather in the south while in Morzine it’s winter revisited.

That said, at the moment the weather is sh*te everywhere.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Its the lazy Swiss you need to be worrying about if you intend going over to their side.

Shut all their lifts on the Sunday of the passportes because apparently it was to hard to evacuate anyone off the mountain. Funny the French thought they’d cope just fine.

The when it dried up the next day they shut the lift at morgins for no particular reason, meaning I could either pedal to the top of the hill, or cycle down to get a train to champery at a local town. I chose the later.

Turns out the Swiss don’t pay much attention to timetables however, so the train never appeared, prompting a 1000 meter climb back up an alpine road on supertacky dual ply minions…back to the same place I’d been 5 hours earlier. All done with bronchitis and a rubbing rear brake. Misery.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Alps weather, right now, at the moment……it's…….’ is closed to new replies.