Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Alps Itinerary – What am I missing out on
  • rwills2
    Free Member

After much deliberation me and my mate finally got round to sorting out our alps trip. Heading out on the 16th June returning on 10th July taking both our mountain and road bikes. Understand its quite early for some resorts but its the only time we can go due to Graduation constraints.

Hoping to hit Alpe d’Huez on the roadies, stay in Chamonix a few nights for some singletrack and our second trip up the Aiguille Du Midi (Buying the chamonix guidebook), visiting Zermatt and Lake Geneva and also potentially doing a backcountry week with Trail Addiction. Hopefully catch the tour in Northern France on the trip back as well.

Any must do things we are missing? Does not have to be bike related.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

La Thuile
    St Foye
    Deux Alpes
    Morzine for the experience

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Don’t forget Tignes, but also remember to forget Tignes too. It’s not worth the drive.

Tracey

Day in Pila would be good.

IA

If you’re in AdH with mtbs it’d be criminal not to ride there. Google bike osians, there’s a PDF with some good routes a bit off the beaten (mega) track.

atlaz
    Free Member

Depending how your drive down goes, consider stopping in the Vosges on the way down. Lac Blanc bike park is worth a day (chairlift, short runs, not massive queues) and the road riding around there is great.

lucien

atlaz – Member
    Depending how your drive down goes, consider stopping in the Vosges on the way down. Lac Blanc bike park is worth a day (chairlift, short runs, not massive queues) and the road riding around there is great.

POSTED 35 MINUTES AGO #

As is the XC riding – some if it is very tough, rocky, narrow singletrack – if you head for Gerardmer the tourist office has loads of routes on a map

Milkie
    Free Member

La Thuile, Sainte Foy, Les Arcs, all worth a visit. If you are in this area there is also paragliding, water rafting, etc etc.

If you can, do a day in Pila.. 11km DH trail, need I say more. 😉 Best days riding I have ever done.

timidwheeler

What’s wrong with Tignes?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Timidwheeler – it’s a dull bikepark, full of badly-made DH runs and repetitive badly-made bermy/jumpy trails, which are inferior to just about any UK trail centre?

timidwheeler

That’s a shame. Going for 2 weeks.

mrhoppy

I’d head down to Briancon for some epic road riding and get a raft trip down chateau queyras gorge with Vincent. There looks to be some promising mtb down there but I’ve not got round to exploring it.

flap_jack
    Free Member

There’s a mad road sportive based around Morzine around second week in June. Morzine is lovely before the lifts open.

rwills2
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input, don’t know how we are going to fit everything in!

As an aside to this topic does anyone have any experience keeping multiple bikes locked up on a campsite. Would it be safest to leave them all in the boot of the car and covered with a blanket so they are not visible?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

What’s wrong with Tignes?

when we went a couple of years ago, free liftpasses, we felt it was overpriced.

stevomcd
    Free Member

That’s a shame. Going for 2 weeks.

Will you have transport? Don’t get me wrong, Tignes is fun for a day or two in a jumpy-bermy kind of way, but you wouldn’t want to spend any more time than that there.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Alps Itinerary – What am I missing out on’ is closed to new replies.