Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • South Downs Conditions?
  • awptechnical
    Free Member

I’m doing the Wiggle Rough Ride next month – only 4 weeks away. I can’t imagine the conditions changing that much so what are they like at the moment? Not having ridden there before what should I expect? Finally tyres – would Beavers be a viable option?
    Thanks in advance

ononeorange

I am astonished you’re asking!! Have you not seen the weather for the last six weeks?! Fingers crossed for you (and all those flooded out) it actually stops raining in the next four weeks.

DT78
    Free Member

I suggest a kayak

darkcyan
    Free Member

its wet and nasty, especially b careful of chalk. that said if it stops raining and the wind gets on it it dries quite quickly.

slackalice
    Free Member

As I have mentioned before….

Prevailing conditions for all area’s of the British Isles:

Wet, deeply wet in some low lying area’s. Predominantly muddy except where its sandy or rocky or frozen. Exceptionally muddy everywhere else, unless it’s flooded, chalky area’s are slippy 🙂

Trails are becoming quagmire-ish of Dark Ages proportions, some may require the fitting and use of a smaller chainring at the front, or larger sprocket at the back, or both. It’s not like this where it’s sandy, or rocky. Some of the wet rocks might be a bit slippery. Be aware of the thin crust of ice in frozen area’s.

Watch out for low hanging branches and fallen tree’s in all area’s where there are branches and tree’s.

It’s currently raining or snowing, so take a coat and enjoy the feeling of cycling over what feels to be greased ball bearings, especially in chalky area’s.

Condition normal then 😀

Specific SDW, as of a few days ago around Petersfield – wet chalk. See above re greased ball bearings 🙂 With regard to tyres, been running Mud X on back and BC MK2 front tubeless with as low a pressure as I can get away with and on the whole, have been providing pretty good traction. At least it’s so wet, that there’s not much chance of getting blocked up with mud 🙂 Still fun though.

superfli
    Free Member

Take the road way up from Exton to old winch hill. It will be knee deep and you struggle to push the bike through.
    In these conditions I wouldnt bother.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Proper gloop, deep gloop.

It’ll only be good in forests where drainage is good, but even then it’s yuk. I hacked my local trails last week and I think it’s on par with the worst I have seen in 10+ years.

Paceman
    Free Member

It’s bad but if you do go the Maxxis Beaver’s are about as good as you’ll get for the Downs in the wet.

awptechnical
    Free Member

Okay, so it looked like a daft question but I have no idea whether the downs suffer as bad as others. I’m in Cambridge and although it’s been wet there are still passable routes.
    Paceman – thanks for the tyre advise.
    I’ll pray for some dry weather – know any good religions?

caspian
    Free Member

Take the road way up from Exton to old winch hill. It will be knee deep and you struggle to push the bike through.

I live not far from there. Walking that part would be a tall order.

I’ll pray for some dry weather – know any good religions?

Here in Kazakhstan the local Muslim folk have been sacrificing sheep to get the temperature above -30C. No success to report yet. Will keep you and Wiggle informed in case it works.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

It’s very variable… the well drained areas are still dry and fast but some other bits are pretty boggy. The main issue you will face is any off camber wet chalk… it is lethal when it’s raining and shortly after, but a couple of hours of strong breeze and you will be fine. I’m using XRMud and they are doing a decent job… I’d have thought Beavers would be another good choice, but I have not used them myself.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Even the forested parts of the South Downs are a quagmire. It’s really no fun at this time of year.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone one been in Bere Forest (Wickham side) Planning a ride up there next weekend but I know it gets really yuk when it’s rained a bit..

mattbee

Bere (100 Acres) is, as expected a bog. Was up there with dog on Friday eve and it is pretty minging.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup that’s the one, eeek thanks for the update. I’ll go somewhere else, thanks 😉

Goldigger
    Free Member

Lol mud everywhere..
    I went to wendover woods last Sunday thinking it might be better than the slop up ashridge.
    Well yeah the top of the hill is OK..
    Coming down wasn’t to bad if you didn’t have to brake! Trying to come up hill was difficult as wheel spinning in gloop was the days order.
    I forget how many times I had to stop and clear the buildup of mud from the fork brace and rear suspension!
    2 hours and only 8 miles covered!

Can’t imagine anywhere in our neck of the woods being much different..

mattbee

Just got back from QECP and it was surprisingly good. Muddy and sloppy, certainly but it’s not got any worse than it normally is. Think the wind has helped to dry the chalk out in places and the amount of rain we’ve had has simply washed a lot of the gunk away from the trails, leaving only a thin layer of mud.

birdage

Just got back from a spin Lewes to Eastbourne direction. Yes muddy but a lot of fun. Worse thing is riding into the headwind! Found Hans Damph on the front and Bonty Mud x on the back pretty good for most things. There’s no one tyre. As long as you avoid the green chalk it’s ok.

timnwild

Just did half the route this morning – not looking too clever I’m afraid. Bring your grippiest tyres, a sense of humour and a willingness to put your beloved steed through some severe indignities.

An hour to clean the bike, and even that was to barely acceptable standards.

See you there – I’ll be the one sat in a puddle, swearing through the tears.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘South Downs Conditions?’ is closed to new replies.