• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IA.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Alpe d'Huez mountain biking
  • cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Any body got any experience of riding there (not MegaAvalache!) more trail riding really.

Looking for routes/guides/bike shops anything like that please…tips advice etc all welcome

Thanks in advance

plumber
    Free Member

I had no maps but its easy to get around – plenty of signage into different valley and you probably wont run out of places to ride

Bikes shops aplenty but as ever you will be raped

I’m sure there will be guide but on your first trip you aren’t likely to need them

sarpullido
    Free Member

I’ve found this thread and Alpe d’Huez is rated very low
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/alps-trip-2013-morzine-vs-alpe-dhuez-deux-alpes

Maybe you can find some routes in wikiloc

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

stayed at the foot of the climb for a week or so once and did a bit of riding around there many years ago, theres plenty of riding, XC style, but a IGN map and just try stuff, use the roads or double tracks up and out of the valleys and look for GR or paths down, job done. Just explore and ask around.

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments so far – please keep them coming.
    Just to say we don’t have a choice to go elsewhere it is Alpe d’Huez or nothing (for a multitude of reasons!) so I’m looking to find out the best experience possible for Alpe d’Huez (not looking for alternatives, but thanks everybody that might suggest alternatives, just not an option for me!)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Get an IGN map.

The Mega quali and main race course are well worth doing (they’re trail rides in all but name). There’s the Oz Avalanche cup course, and 8-ball (Red 8 ) across the valley from it. In common with most alpine resorts there’s all kinds of great stuff hiding if you just go and look for it – can’t remember the locations of all of it.

Also – just across the valley is Les Deux Alpes, which also apparently has really good riding (inc the Venosc DH run). Make a nice day out.

kimbers

Thrted quite a few challenging xc and enduro trails on the valley, ad well as more dh stuff like the mega and the avalanche cup track, the bikepark above adh is a bit pants

IA

There’s loads round there, especially if you’re fit and can read a map, and ideally have a vehicle.

I posted here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rides-in-alpe-dhuez

and

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/alpe-dhuez-recommendations-mtb

read that!

My top bit of advice would be get fit though, if you’ve the legs there’s some brilliant stuff round there but you need to climb to access it. There’s some good lift assisted or bus access stuff, but mostly it’s all about using your legs for the real gems. Some super tech out there too, but then it is the alps, there’s massive mountains so you’ll find all sorts of stuff somewhere.

kayak23

Yes the mega course is brilliant. It’s more like a trail than a full on dh track. Really nice and long and even some uphill…

Riding the glacier is a great experience.

As mentioned, 2Alpes isn’t too far and is also great fun. The Venosc run was a highlight for me. Just brilliant fun turns top to bottom in deep ashen dust.
    🙂

kayak23

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Dust you say? That is something my bike hasn’t seen for a while now! 🙂

Keep the info coming people – its really helpful and much appreciated

Joe

Vars is the unexplored mecca of the alps I say.

jeff

mountain bike routes from local tourist office

They do (or did) a free great booklet with route maps in too.

No 6 is great. Some techie stuff but one of my favourite places.

+1 for Venosc too.

jonk

Send me an email with your address and i’ll post you the ADH VTT route guide i got last year MIP.

steveh

Good for a few days riding but I’d get bored of it for any more.

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

Thanks all!

Honk, email heading your way.

richardthird

Check lift opening dates. ADH about 5th July (starts with the Mega), L2A a week or 2 before. And take/hire a road bike as well.

Do the XC route that takes in Cheminee de la Balme descent and let me know how you got on 😆

cheeky_dieter
    Free Member

What a great and supportive community you lot are. Thanks so much for all the info you have shared.
    I am heading there in Feb to check out the area ahead of planning something for the summer

If any body has any other thoughts I am really open to hearing ideas, recommendations etc – places to eat, or other things to do in the area etc etc

pt0608
    Free Member

I did a really awesome ride there last year. There’s a free tourist guide book you can get that shows plenty of options, some are more family friendly, but there’s definitely something in there for everyone.

We took a car up the hill and then just rode down via Villard-Recules and Allemond.

I could probably find the GPS somewhere….

iain1775
    Free Member

Is it worth going with a bike the week of the Mega, even if not riding the Mega?
    Is there much else easily accessible if all the lifts arn’t open?

IA

Is it worth going with a bike the week of the Mega, even if not riding the Mega?

Yup, I did that this year. Loads of great stuff, as I say, if you can read a map and have the legs for it.

Is there much else easily accessible if all the lifts arn’t open?

We never bought lift passes, just the odd single ride. Could have done the week with no passes too.

This all depends on your definition of “easily” mind. Probably not “easy” you need to read a map, guide books, do a bit of planning etc.

If it gives some idea, we weren’t just in AdH (week in les arcs doing similar too) and over 10 days riding we averaged 40k with 2000m height gain/loss everyday. That’s an average across two weeks and we did use some lifts, but never had a lift pass.

I guess unless you’re exceptionally fit that’s not “easy” but it’s not hard either, and you could always do shorter rides!

I have been to AdH before though, but then I worked it all out for myself. Saw 1 other rider off the main mega/town routes though. IMO folk were missing out mind! TBH if you have to ask the answer’s probably “no”…unless you’re already cracking out the IGN and looking.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Alpe d'Huez mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.