Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • All you tile and grouting experts
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

Help!

I am going to be doing some grouting on Saturday but the grout is white and the wall I am planning to paint is a cranburry red.

My question is, as I am not using plastic edges on my exposed tiles and hand finishing with grout. Do I paint the wall red first before I grout or do I rish masking the grout and then painting it?

I think I should paint the wall first but am worried that I dont have enough time.

Thoughts please?

brakes
    Free Member

will the paint not leach into the grout?
    you can always regrout the edges if masking doesn't work

druidh
    Free Member

Sounds like you already know the right answer, but don't like it 😉

DenDennis
    Free Member

not sure you've explained the scenario very well- are you going on about the vertical edge of some tiles that stop half way along a painted wall, or the horizontal top edge of some tiles stopping half way up a wall?

anyway I would deffo paint the wall first in both those cases

the-muffin-man

I'd paint 2nd!!

If you paint first then no matter how careful you are with the grouting you're bound to end up with some (loads!) on the painted surface. You'd then end up rubbing down the excess grout and touching up the edges anyway!

Grout > Mask Edge of Tiles > Paint

Digimap
    Free Member

You paint the wall first, by the time you get up there it'll be dry enough. You tile. You grout. You finish with silicon sealant along the top edge.

p.s. stop tile adhesive an inch or so short of the top edge as it can react with silicons causing them to discolour over time. You also use sealant in place of grout in the corners and any other mobile joints.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Never had any problem painting up to grout. Just redone a couple of bathrooms and they're fine – just needed a steady hand.

chorlton
    Free Member

Just use a brush to cut in up to the tiles with one coat before you grout as it's easy to get off the tiles even when dry. You can leave the rest of the wall till after. You could try masking tape but the paint always seems to creep under anyway so a steady hand is best.
    You are bound to get grout on the wall which means you having to touch up the paint after.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Sorry guys, I have not explainedvery well.

If you look at at wall and imagine a galley kitchen with work tops on both sides. At the far end the work tops touch the wall and I have tiled the depth of the worktops and have gone the same distance vertical on the far wall so I have two exposed edges that will be filled with grout and these two edges are on the wall I want to paint.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘All you tile and grouting experts’ is closed to new replies.