Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • All these commuting threads – let's spec your ideal commuter
  • ourmaninthenorth

In broad terms, the ideal commuter for the journey you do/would like to do. Oh, and how it compares to what you ride now.

Me:

Titanium framed road bike. Not heavy. Full guard and pannier mounts. Disc mounts. Dynamo lights.

Currently riding alu road bike, which is a bit heavy and very dead feeling. Commute is 17 miles each way now, soon to change to 25 each way with hills.

You?

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve already got mine. Fixie Inc Peacemaker, 43:18 fixed, two brakes, absolutely filthy and completely de-logoed, so it looks unattractive to theives. Lights are duck-taped on.

thebunk

Light and theft proof, including all of the detachable bits (like forks, brakes). Noisy, so that pedestrians can hear me, and lit up like a Christmas tree, so that crazy taxi drivers can’t ignore me.

Nearly finbars, but with gears too, for going up and down the one evil hill I have.

Ideally it wouldn’t have pedals, handlebars or spokes, so that I could park it in the train station bike rack, seemingly designed by someone that has never seen a bike.

The joy of Bristol commuting…

MrBlond
    Free Member

Similar to finbar, fuji track (s/s rather than fixed), two brakes, job done

cynic-al
    Free Member

SAme as you OMITN, I ride a steel bike with that spec already though.

titusrider
    Free Member

I wish i could just do it on my Cannondale six road bike and have somewhere safe to leave it at the other end

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

my commute is entirely canal, 6 miles on tarmac/hardcore, 7 miles of rough track, some bits are very rough. I chose a mountain bike frame/rigid forks, that would take proper mudguards, could be used for commutes and mtb, all parts compatible with my other bikes, fast/light mtb tyres. key thing was a headset that used a split crown race, so I could easily change between 3 different forks.
    I have been looking for a more mtb tourer type bike, but not found anything I like yet.

DaRC_L

Summer or winter? the roads here are pothole-hell at the mo’ with gravel traps from the shonky road covering the district council ‘fixed’ the roads with last year.

Winter – titanium cross bike, singlespeed (can’t remember the gearing). Currently running a Surly x-check quite battered

Summer = any decent road bike.
    Current job has pretty secure, dry lockup facilities.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My cannondale ‘race’ bike, but with rack and guard mounts. Then I could sell the tourer and the singlespeed and just commute on the race bike, and run it SS with a tensioner in winter.

ourmaninthenorth

Summer or winter?

Year round. Living in the sub-tropical north west of England, I regularly need mudguards in the summer.

I want something light and comfortable, but reasonably versatile. Current bike should do all these things, but it’s always felt lumpen and lacking in zip.

DaRC_L

ahh the one size fits all approach for summer / winter road riding.
    Just for the commute I’d probably stick with a s/s but something a bit lighter and better balanced.

fasthaggis

Same as the OP .
    I like the idea of a Ti cross frame with disc mounts and all the braze ons .

ourmaninthenorth

ahh the one size fits all approach for summer / winter road riding

Not quite. Carbon race bike can do what it does in the summer/decent weather. I use my winter bike for year round commuting, so something that fills a sizeable amount of my bike time is what prompted this.

DaRC_L

oh that’s ok then as long as there are alternate options on sunny days for the long way home 😆

Yep Ti cross frame – not sure about the dynamo lights but then I’ve not tried them as I use my lumicycles. How would the dynamo cope with the winter salt? It’s why I switched to s/s after the corrosion of a couple of years ago.

lunge

Ti frame, touring geomoetry, rack and mudguard mounts, hub gears, disk brakes, drop bars, MTB SPD’s, lots of reflective bits, good lights but all made to look like it is worth nothing

mogrim

Probably a Triumph Tiger 800 😀

maxray
    Free Member

I do use the ideal bike for my commute 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member

I built mine last month :o)

maxray
    Free Member

mmmmmmm nice ericemel! 😛

VanHalen

given my ideal commute would involve a bit of street riding, a session on the bmx track, a half decent off road descent (found this morning) and a spin along some flat with a bit more street chucked in. i recon a small chuckable singlespeed hardtail would be perfect.

its a shame my commute home from the above involves a sodding great big hill and pretty much 100% uphill riding for which a small chuckable singlespeed hardtail is unsuitable so i have comprimised and gone for a smaller xc bike set up a bit more fun.

however i still think i`m wasting my commute to work and just need to man up and ride a more fun bike.

you wouldnt catch me on one of those skinny wheeled things with drop bars. i might get to work quicker but who wants that when you can be out on a bike having fun?

binners

Hang on a minute! Titanium this? Carbon fibre that?! Stop this ponceyness at once!!! Blasphemers!! Have you forgotten where you are?!!

FFS!!!! Commuters are ratty steel singlespeeds that have been built entirely out of bits you found in the corner of the garage for less than the cost of a Macdonalds Happy Meal.

I suggest you lot go and sit in the corner, grow a beard and have a think about exactly what it is you’ve done

My Genesis IO singlespeed is my ideal commuter for my south mancs / Irlam / warrington commute (started commutng again yesterday 😀 )

2tyred

ericemel has put up a picture of what I was just about to describe, albeit there’s no mudguards!

Ti fixed gear, plenty mudguard clearance so I can use Marathon Pluses through the winter and CX tyres in summer. Front brake only please. Un-mess-up-able crank/BB setup so that I don’t have to worry about destroying the square taper cranks following the rare occasions the bike is stripped and cleaned (suggestions welcome!)

Dynamo lights for when I forget to charge the Exposure. Rack mounts for easy fitting of child seat for nursery transportation. Speedplay pedals, Izumi Supertough chain.

Commute’s about 10 miles each way, main roads if I take the winter roadie, towpath mostly if I take the fixed.

samuri
    Free Member

Lightweight fixie cross bike. Fast on the road, reasonably capable off. Mudguards that don’t rattle or get in the way but still work. Puncture proof tyres, cranks and frame that don’t snap, disk brakes that don’t need adjustment.

ir_bandito
    Free Member
    brakes
    Free Member

a robust road bike, fitted with Bren gun and grenade launcher

shortcut

I am currently using a Specialized Tarmac with 105 and Mavic Aksiums. It is fine. If I wanted to ride on particularly wet roads I would use the Condor Fratello with full length guards and 105.

miketually
    Free Member

Something that’ll allow me to pick up a couple of bins, or a kayak, or a ladder, or a weeks shop on the way home.

😉

ChrisL

Something like my current bike, but with a hub gear and a belt drive for reduced maintenance. The Milk bike above looks quite promising except it has cable discs, no mud guards and looks skinny enough to be a steel frame.

My current commuter is a Doctor Dew with 2×9 gears and disc brakes.

EDIT: Ooh and if you could finish an entire frame (and forks) in a Scotchlite style that’d be (literally) brilliant!

DezB
    Free Member

Brakes got there first, but

DaRC_L

Hang on a minute! …
    I suggest you lot go and sit in the corner, grow a beard and have a think about exactly what it is you’ve done

ermmm sir, sir I was only sitting in the corner, stroking my beard and pontificating what the world would be like if my ratty steel s/s built out of garage spares was replaced,
    it would happen at the same time as global peace
    bmw drivers becoming overly considerate tree-huggers
    and resolution of all the wold’s crises.

avdave2

Cannondale Bad Boy Rohloff would be my choice. My commute is nearly entirely off road and at the moment it’s a mudfest. I’ve got the Rohloff which is brilliant for such conditions but a little suspension would make things even better. I had been running my Rebas locked out for a couple of months but went back to full rigid a week or so ago. What surprised me most of all was the extra traction the little bit of movement in the Rebas gave. I reckon the headshock would be perfect in such conditions.

Northwind

Already got it- a Revolution Courier Race. Flat bars, 8 gears, big mudguards and 700c wheels with fat slicks. Tough as old boots, impervious to neglect, and looks like crap. Pretty much perfect.

simondbarnes

Will be getting my ideal commuter in the next few days…

Sabbath September. Sadly just a frameset built up with old parts although am treating it to some new wheels – Dura Ace, Open Pro, Sapim Laser, Alu Polyax Nipples.

28 miles each way, try and do it at least a couple of times a week.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

this is mine, mostly mtb stuff as I like the redundancy

EDIT: could be lighter though…

brassneck

Alfine 11 in me Virtue would be perfect, too much grunt required 32:16, too spinny for the other bit in 32:18 so I have to spoil its lovely clean lines with dangly gear things. Plus it’s getting to trailer pulling time o year again.

I’ve come to the conclusion even my shonky old road bike is just too fragile.

acjim
    Free Member

Lynskey Cooper CX Disc with fancy Giles Berthoud Carbon mudguards and full Ti bolts (for anti-rust rather than lightness). Light enough for a bit of cx racing if I fancy it and solid enough for the daily grind.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Is that^ a Point Reyes? I was thinking about one of those.

ourmaninthenorth

Sabbath September

Ooh. Good call. Now, a s/h f+f would be just the ticket for me….

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Is that^ a Point Reyes?

It started off as a Novato but I wished I had bought the Point Reyes in the first place, it would have saved me upgrading everything. They have changed quite a bit, mine is an ’03 (i think).

EDIT: Just looked a the current Point Reyes spec and it seems really over-priced. If I was starting again I would be looking for just a light frame and build myself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘All these commuting threads – let's spec your ideal commuter’ is closed to new replies.