Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • All these commuting threads – let's spec your ideal commuter
  • stanley222
    Free Member

Anyone got a Courier Race from Edinburgh Cycles – thinking of getting one so would like to know if they are up to the job!

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=13013&f_SupersetQRY=C432&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018333c018336

m1kea
    Free Member

Finally decided to cough up for a(nother) Ti frame to replace my rather tired 531 winter bike.

Not a fan of compact road frames but ended up with an off the shelf Enigma Etape as their custom build wait list is approx 4 months.

Transplanted most of the 9 spd running gear, guards, saddle etc over but needed a new longer post and I’ve thrown some Dura Ace bits on it as well.

Defo not a cheap winter hack but having lost the two past winters I’m determined to keep the mileage up this year and some new shiny should help.

I’ll need to juggle some wheels around as it’s 22lbs atm and obviously waay too heavy 🙄

angryratio
    Free Member

I have an inbred which i use for everything from commutes, to riding holidays when the full sus has decided to spit it’s dummy.

Change the tyres, flick a singlespeed kit on, whatever.
    I don’t need 6 bikes. (i’d get nagged for a start)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

I second the concept of having a good commuter, I use mine for training and touring too.

Ti Yukon frame for £435, disc brakes, rack, mudguards, otherwise dependable non cling kit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stanley222

I see a lot of them around Edinburgh, they look like decent bikes, they are designed for the job. Not ridden one tho

My perfect commuter. MTB frame with EBB, alfine, mary bars, short travel coil sprung fork, mary bars, rack and mudguard mounts, 1 3/4 inch road tyres. Not far of what I have

ransos
    Free Member

My requirements for a commuter:
    Unattractive to thieves
    Reliable & low maintenance
    Able to carry luggage
    Able to cope with the rough cycle path I use

Solution is a 1993 Marin Eldridge Grade, fitted with slicks, guards and a rack. The 7 speed transmission with thumbies never goes wrong, parts are cheap, I can carry plenty of shopping in 2 panniers, and no-one would nick it because it’s old and a bit tatty.

I used to use my Thorn Audax, but that was far too nice to wreck on a short commute.

m1kea
    Free Member

I will also add that I commute on all my bikes and if it ties in with an evening TT, I’ll bling up and ride me TT wagon

It’s my fastest bike and I like trying to get from A to B as fast as possible 🙄 :lol:.

At the other extreme I’ll pootle in on’t full suss every now and then

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘All these commuting threads – let's spec your ideal commuter’ is closed to new replies.