• This topic has 118 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hora.
Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • All the best for Christmas
  • SaxonRider

To me the casual homophobia and misogyny needed to be clamped down on.

I find the line between good humour/legitimate criticism of religion and language bordering on hatred towards religious adherents is often crossed.

And no, I’m not just talking about Woppit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interesting. I would tend not to agree but I have little time for any religion. I do remember a couple of people getting a hard time for being believers

bigG
    Free Member

Elfinsafety, i’m a bloke with little time for whingers. If he doesn’t like it here then he can stop coming here. It’s not compulsory is it?

I mean come on, its an Internet forum. If he doesn’t like the rules here then he can set up and administer his own forum. But don’t expect me to come over all emotional because he wants to make a stink.

racemonkey

I find it weird that people get banned for swearing in posts.

Walk into any pub in any place and you will hear expletives.

Seriously if you don’t want to hear ( see ) swear words go to a kids forum. I fully understand the reasons for banning people that fire off personal insults but surely this place is becoming too PC.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

and you are?

just another poster on here, just like you.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve explained the words that can’t be used under any circumstances and they are the same ones that can’t be used by any publishing organisation

I think this is fine. We should follow STW in this respect. Readers need to have consistency between the mag and the forum. The tone of both should be the same. This seems entirely sensible and simple. No need for a list of banned words, all the approved words can be found in the Mag.

So just follow the rules!

surfer
    Free Member

AAhhh….. but unless you are a prolific poster who appears to live their life through the site and posts by the minute then you are not in the clique.

surfer
    Free Member

I find the line between good humour/legitimate criticism of religion and language bordering on hatred towards religious adherents is often crossed

I dont.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elfinsafety, i’m a bloke with little time for whingers.

Why are you whinging about him then? 😕

No, I don’t think you quite got what I meant….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m often mildly offended by the aggressive and insulting attacks of particular atheists on this forum. So what!?

That sort of behaviour does their reputation no favours. They should not be banned just because I don’t like how they express their ideas. Religious-minded people, I include myself, must be grown-up enough to tolerate the odd bit of mouthing off.

I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Voltaire – a smart French bloke.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

In the spirit of Christmas can I just point out that if someone was pick up all the toys that get thrown out of prams over this, no orphan would ever have to do without at Christmas ever again.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Maybe if a thread was allowed to run,then people woul have th opportunity to vent their frustrations and have their arguments or point or questions addressed (by the mods?) in a satisfactory way, instead of everyone feeling blueballed, and recreating the same threads over and over again. Maybe even make it a private threa (if possible, or put a big warning on it, so that a frank and open discussion can be had, it is clear that there are some people getting frustrated and destructive.

Mark

Maybe if a thread was allowed to run,then people woul have th opportunity to vent their frustrations and have their arguments or point or questions addressed

Because as laudable as your suggestion is it woudl never happen. It would (and has ) just end up an abusive slanging match – We don;t want that.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But even the slanging match would allow folks to get it out of their system.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Can someone lend me a Mint Sauce keyring for a few days?

cinnamon_girl

But even the slanging match would allow folks to get it out of their system.

Oh, isn’t that what footballs/bikes/running shoes etc. are for?

Self-control is where it’s at. 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

There is a pretty negative vibe about the place at the moment.

so if all the negativity were to exit stage left the place will be a lot more…er…positive?? Maybe there is an unseen flaw in that plan, but sounds like a goer to me.

I’m not over-sensitive but I like the relative lack of effing and jeffing on here and if we can stamp out the unpleasantness some people inflict on some others, that’s a big thumbs up from me too. I’ve got loads of useful info from here and even met some nice people too…in real life no less.

To put some of this in “real life” context, a friend of mine had a break up some years back. For whatever reason this made his language terrible, but he didn’t notice and we had to tell him. We were (are) all swearers but he could not see the line he’d stepped over. This was real life with real long-lasting friendships. Imagine now how easy it can be to offend on our little virtual Singletrackworld.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

SaxonRider – Member

To me the casual homophobia and misogyny needed to be clamped down on.

I find the line between good humour/legitimate criticism of religion and language bordering on hatred towards religious adherents is often crossed.

And no, I’m not just talking about Woppit.

Amazing, it used to be I was “offensive”, now it seems, my posts “border on hatred”.

Gosh.

Never mind. Jesus loves me, apparently…

hora
    Free Member

Imagine giving Hora a wedgie mid-sentence as he woffles on about the failings of his third pair of forks this week

Had appalling luck with Rockshox reliability…

Then I bought a set of 36 Float r’s off I_ache on here earlier this year (or was it last year?) and haven’t looked back 😀

yossarian
    Free Member

It’s all a bit of a balancing act isn’t it.

I actually disagree with the idea that forum belongs to mark and chipps etc. Sure they own the copyrights and the servers but it’s us that populate their space and make it what it is. As such I think that the forum users should be allowed a certain degree of autonomy – like it or not without us this place is nothing. Why can’t we decide what the rules are? Why can’t we choose the mods?

On the other hand we also have a responsibility to look out for STW and ensure that we as users are not putting site and mag at risk from our behaviour.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Had appalling luck with Rockshox reliability…

Then I bought a set of 36 Float r’s off I_ache on here earlier this year (or was it last year?) and haven’t looked back
    I love a happy ending

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Never mind. Jesus loves me, apparently.

I wouldn’t count on it. He doesn’t like being taken for granted you know

tankslapper
    Free Member

That’s it! I’m off to wiki leaks! They’ll at least let me say what I like…. 😛

tankslapper
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member
    Never mind. Jesus loves me, apparently.
    I wouldn’t count on it. He doesn’t like being taken for granted you know

I here he’s having a birthday party tho’……..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

users should be allowed a certain degree of autonomy

That’s what they have. A certain degree. I’d hazard a guess most of us think that certain degree is perfectly reasonable.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Why can’t we choose the mods?

You can. You buy or hire some servers. You install some software. You put it all on line. You market it to make it attractive to potential users. You sell advertising to make it viable. You get to ban who you want for whatever reason you want to and without having to explain anything to anyone.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I here he’s having a birthday party tho’……..

it’ll all end in tears, you mark my words. Once some comic starts brandishing the hammer and nails …

bigG
    Free Member

Elfinsafety, I’d be interested to know what part of either of my posts have been whining? I say goodbye to him in my first, and suggested an alternative solution for him in my second.

I got your point perfectly clearly thank you and I’m not even vaguely surprised by it’s tone.

yossarian
    Free Member

Why can’t we choose the mods?
    You can. You buy or hire some servers. You install some software. You put it all on line. You market it to make it attractive to potential users. You sell advertising to make it viable. You get to ban who you want for whatever reason you want to and without having to explain anything to anyone.

You have totally missed the point.

Bunnyhop

Have missed few days on here and am disappointed that yeti has gone? Am equally disappointed that you BM feel the need to leave after being here along time.

roper
    Free Member

All the best BM.
    It can be a wise move to take some time away from anything.
    Still, I hope you can pop back here from time to time and post.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Well, I ain’t on often enough to worry about new rules, and I had a post pulled once (quite rightly, as: a)it involved stating an opinion as to whether I would, or wouldn’t, be keen on getting intimate with a dark-haired barmaid and ex-pop ‘star’ from Corrie (I would have); and b)I was drunk…..so I know how it feels to be censored.

Anyway, yadda yadda.

I just wanted to back up the OP on wishing you all the best for the festive season, whether you stick around here or not.
    Enjoy yourselves.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Well whatever happens I just hope Santa brings me that mistletoe belt I asked for…………

hora
    Free Member

This Christmas carries extra value for me. My Father died suddenly a week ago and I never had the time to show him his Grandson. I regret that. However as soon as I heard the news I forgave him. Throughout life I have hated him and avoided good friends and family.

Everything changes now.

Merry Christmas. Life is too short not to love and forgive. X

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear that 🙁

Enjoy Xmas with the little ‘un
    Dan

BillMC

Swearing I’m not so bothered about, it’s often a sloppy and lazy way of expressing an emphasis. However we need to be cautious about how ‘PC’ is interpreted because frequently it is exercised in a reactionary and moralistic fashion. In my travels I have found a great deal of PC (and religion) in countries where the countries are completely ethnicly divided combined with a massive gap between rich and poor. PC enforcers are frequently inhibiting people’s abilities to tell it how it is, they can be elitist and patronising moral arbiters of what is the latest fashion in ‘acceptable’ language. F**** ’em I say.

chewkw
    Free Member

Merry Christ-mas & happy New Year to you all.

:mrgreen:

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You have totally missed the point.

No, I don’t think I did – the people who put the money and work in make the rules. You don’t. If you want to, all you have to do is put the money and work in.
    Unless your point is that, as a user of this free and pretty good service, you shold be entitled to run it as you see fit without putting in the resources to make it happen in the first place.

hora
    Free Member

So we’ve just received the 5th card (and present/food etc) from the neighbours on our 10-house street.

Wierdo’s. I expected neighbours to want to fight/argue, fall out or just ignore you..

:mrgreen:

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘All the best for Christmas’ is closed to new replies.