Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • All-in-one Turntables
  • SaxonRider

Are any of those old-fashioned looking turntables any good? I love the idea of them, but want at least decent sound. I can’t imagine that the lower-end ones are any good, but can STW recommend any brands, or specific models of the ‘briefcase-style’ or otherwise all-in-one type turntables?

Please note that I know nothing about ‘sound technology’ and don’t really care too much, other than liking my music to sound pretty good (i.e. not shit).

EDIT: For example, what about this one?

SaxonRider

No one?

Cougar

other than liking my music to sound pretty good (i.e. not shit).

With a cheap record player? Good luck with that. You’d be better off buying a CD player and a chip pan.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I’m not a music quality snob but I heard one of these recently and it was just horrific. No idea which one it was but the speed was all over the show so singers sounded like they were about to throw up, unbelievable scratchy sound and very tinny too.
    You’d be better off with a turntable something like this one which you can connect to anything to play records. https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/sony-usb-turntable.html

Personally I bought a ProJect Debut turntable off a friend for £40, a 1990’s Technics amp for £45 off eBay with remote and phone stage and some small bookshelf speakers off freecycle for free. Adding on a Bluetooth adapter will mean I can play pretty much anything, it’ll sound really good and look pretty good too (for a seperates system).

DezB
    Free Member

I think you’d have to go to a shop and get a demo.
    I had a Dansette to play all my glam records on back in the 70s, but I can’t imagine putting up with that now! That said, speaker technology has come on some since then..

SiofCannock
    Free Member

I did what newrobdob did for my daughter’s set up.

Amp from gary6356 on eBay. He refurbishes old amps and really knows his stuff.

Project turntable, Denon Amp from the 90’s and my old Gale bookshelf speakers. Sounds really nice.

DezB
    Free Member

Jam do one – my Jam Bluetooth speaker has an amazingly powerful speaker in it, so might be worth getting a demo in HMV –
    https://store.hmv.com/technology/turntables/jam-sound-turntable-(hmv-exclusive) (half price at the mo)
    (they also do some with built in amp and separate speakers.)

taxi25
    Free Member

Predictable answers Lol.
    Misstaxi was at her Nan’s house looking through my record collection ( I left them there as I haven’t had a record player for 30yrs)
    She wanted to listen to some of them so I got one of these
    http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7248865

It sounds ok and is loud enough to fill a normal room. No it’s not Hifi and will never satisfy a Hifi snob but does the job.

slowoldman

Yes but that’s not what SaxonRider was talking about (amp and speakers included), plus he said “other than liking my music to sound pretty good”.

I doubt any of these one box jobs would do what he wants.

bowglie

I bought one of the Aldi retro record players earlier this year, but my wife reckons we haven’t got room for it in the living room, and it won’t go with the new wallpaper……bah, don’t ask! Anyway, it’s sat in its unopened box since I got it, so looks like I may as well sell it. £40 collected from North Notts/Derbyshire area if you’re interested.

This is the one I’ve got (red/cream version) https://www.aol.co.uk/money/2017/03/13/is-aldi-s-retro-mother-s-day-record-player-a-bargain/

GrahamS

Recent thread from me:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/recommend-me-a-record-player-1

Went for the Akai one in the end http://amzn.eu/7mWgwCj

(No idea if it is actually any good or not)

flyingmonkeycorps

Those Ion ones are pretty bad if you’re even slightly fussed about decent sound. I also read an article about how much damage the cheap styluses can do to your records, with some actual science and testing behind it.

I’d second getting a cheap separate turntable (happy Project user here) and adding amp and speakers. If you’re pushed for space you could probably wire one up to a Jam speaker or similar.

DezB
    Free Member

No it’s not Hifi and will never satisfy a Hifi snob but does the job.

That’s what I thought he was asking for..

taxi25
    Free Member

That’s what I thought he was asking for..

Me to 😆

onlysteel
    Free Member

Vinyl is too expensive to ruin on one of the £100 jobbies. Do your ears and your records a favour and go for a Rega or Project and hitch it up to suitable amp/speaker combo.

slowoldman

…other than liking my music to sound pretty good (i.e. not shit)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Vinyl is too expensive to ruin on one of the £100 jobbies

+1

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I looked at one to play my last box of records that i have in the cupboard then i discovered that Apple Music have them all on line (even some of the more obscure ones) so there didn’t seem much point.

DezB
    Free Member

Vinyl is too expensive to ruin on one of the £100 jobbies

Well, the last album I played had a “99p” sticker on it, so not always the case. It was a record from the 80s and sounded bloody crap anyway! Cheap chat vinyl they used to use.

brassneck

I have a Crosby one – Mrs B bought it as I have tonnes of vinyl and had dispensed with all mean of playing it.

It’s a gateway drug. The unit itself was fun, kitsch but not really all that good sounding – but the seed was sown .. so I ended up buying a Project turntable and diggng out an old amp and speakers.

failedengineer

I recently dusted off my old Dual CS-505. Bought a new (Rega) phono amp with a USB socket and, using free software, started to ‘burn’ my LPs. Mind you, as Brassneck says above, I’m now starting to look at better turntables (although, would they be that much better for sensible money?)
    Have a look on Ebay for a good SH turntable?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘All-in-one Turntables’ is closed to new replies.