Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend Me: A record player
  • GrahamS

So my dad and his missus are looking for a record player.

I’ve been browsing through Amazon trying to help, but I know nothing about vinyl so it’s a bit of a stab in the dark.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Requirements:

– 3 speed. Must be able to play 78’s as well as 33 and 45. Ideally with the minimum amount of fuss.

– big simple controls. No fiddly wee switches for speed selection. Large well labelled stuff that complete technophobes with fading dexterity can use.

– stand alone with built-in speakers

– much cheapness. ~£50 budget.

– Prime / next-day delivery (I need it by Saturday at the latest)

Current contenders:

Akai A60011NB Bluetooth Rechargeable Record Player (£37)

http://amzn.eu/48R7Tba

Nice big controls. Can run off an internal battery which is nice I guess. Two 5W PMPO speakers. Can act as a Bluetooth speaker (unlikely to ever be used).

Steepletone Deckster (£55)

http://amzn.eu/iSWD2xO

Built in record storage would suit them. Nice big main volume/power knob though the other controls (speed?) look fiddly. Not sure how a “flip-over stylus” works? Has proper pitch control (+/- 4%). Has an Aux in. 2 x 1W speakers might be a bit wimpy?

1byone Belt-Drive 3-Speed Stereo Turntable (£40)

http://amzn.eu/5dzLiBr

Looks kinda cool-ish? The USB/MP3 functionality may terrify them. More fiddly switches for speed. 2×1.5 watt speakers.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Radiogram – available from many charity shops / house clearances

GrahamS

That is kinda awesome perchy, but possibly a bit bigger than they were looking for 😀

slowoldman

Not sure how a “flip-over stylus” works?

Flip over stylus used to be the norm many, many years ago. One side for microgrooves (33, 45) the other side with a different stylus for 78.

GrahamS

So is flipping the stylus easy to do for someone who is getting on a bit and a bit less dexterous?

Do all 3-speed players use a flip-over stylus or can some play without changing stylus?

DezB
    Free Member

Argh! This is gonna be a “don’t bother, sound quality etc etc” nerdfest 😆

I might have an old Sony in the loft you can have for nothing! Well, P&P. Don’t think I binned it. 🙂
    (Hmm, 78s though, not sure)
    ( – stand alone with built-in speakers ) oh. They’re mad 😆

GrahamS

Yeah his missus mainly wants it for playing her mother’s ancient 78’s – I don’t think high-fidelity sound is a big priority. 😀

Thanks for the offer DezB, but it’s for a gift so I’d like to buy new.

DezB
    Free Member

Here, Argos have this beast! It’s 3 speed and a built in CD player! And it’s er, beautiful..?

£100, unfortunately. But I enjoyed it anyway. 😳

GrahamS

Awesome – pretty sure Buck Rogers had one of those. 😉

slowoldman

So is flipping the stylus easy to do for someone who is getting on a bit and a bit less dexterous?

I would have thought they should be OK.

Do all 3-speed players use a flip-over stylus or can some play without changing stylus?

Well only one of those above seems to have a flip over stylus but the grooves in a 78 are quite different.
    Have a look here

mugsys_m8

Flipping the stylus normally requires less dexterity than placing the needle on the record.

GrahamS

slowoldman: oooh that’s all getting expensive quickly 🙁

From that article it sounds like the big one might be best as it has limited variable speed adjustment which the article suggests is useful.

mugsys_m8: great thanks.

slowoldman

Don’t worry about variable speed as long as it has 78. It’s the stylus I was really highlighting.

GrahamS

Okay because there is a different Steepletone with nice big controls, tone adjustment and a big variable speed/pitch adjuster… but it is gopping…

http://amzn.eu/ffX3PEr

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend Me: A record player’ is closed to new replies.