Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Aligning the Calliper on disc brakes
  • Morris
    Free Member

I took my pads out at the weekend as I thought they needed changing but it looks like they have a bit of life left in them yet. To make it easier I removed the calliper before removing the pads.

I pushed the pistons back, put the pads back in and loosely attached the calliper. I then clamped the brake lever and tightened the bolts on the calliper. Span the wheel and it rubbed slightly. So I adjusted the calliper while the wheel was on to adjust it so it span freely.

When I returned from tonight’s ride I have rubbage again on the discs.

What am I doing wrong? Or am I just being a big girl?

scaredypants

big girl, probably

if it's minor rubbage (ie wheel will easily spin with barely any slowing and a slight noise) it's not goin to affect your riding "at all" but will waste hours of your time worrying about it

IMO, now the pads have settled right back in, readjust calliper one more time and then leave well alone

Burls72
    Free Member

If you go to the hope website they have 2 video's on how to line up the caliper.

lipseal
    Free Member

For small adjustments I use a soft mallet, works a treat.

fily5bellies
    Free Member

Take the pads out, put the wheel in and look along each face of the disc, closing one eye. See how close the disc is to the slot in the caliper; the gap should be equal on both sides. If it's out, then you need to either shim it or do the post-mount alignment thing, see those videos. If it's prety close then just ride it a bit til the pads bed in.

Morris
    Free Member

Thanks for the info!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Aligning the Calliper on disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.