Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • AliExpress Carbon Bars – look good now that they've arrived….
  • cjr61

I’m sure this type of post has been abundant before but I thought I’d offer an answer to the question that nobody asked!!

I was understandably sceptical at £13.83 for a pair of carbon 760mm risers but they look good quality 🙂 and have survived some non-destructive testing (the over the knee ‘can i break them’ test). Took 4 weeks to arrive so not terrible.

They might try to kill me and the sceptics will tell me that they’re made from cheese and i’m an idiot. Time will tell whether my University education was wasted on my grey matter.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-3K-Full-Carbon-Bicycle-Handlebar-MTB-Road-Bike-Handlebar-Carbon-Matte-Glossy-31-8/32566907042.html

Peace and Love and happy Trails

Dango
    Free Member

Have you written your will?

woodster
    cjr61

OK, i’m an idiot…i’m out 🙄

jamesoz

Handlebars are a thing with me, I’d rather ride a downhill course naked with razor blades on my saddle than use bars that are in anyway not to be trusted.
    I’ve been injured badly when a set of bars that were past their best failed and still suffer from the injuries 13 years on. I hope its a joke, if its not please don’t use crap bars for the sake of the NHS.

cjr61

Think I’ve realised now. I’m a muppet for being sucked in by cheapo deals. Despite my banter, it didn’t take long to convince me to put them in the garage or use as a decorative garden ornament.

Thanks STW

cjr61

Mods might need to close this now before I lose any more face in the STW community 😳 muppet!

kayla1
    Free Member

Yes. Good quality bars = being able to chew solid food = awesome 😀

cjr61

Haha thanks Kayla

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Ive had two sets of carbon road bars from aliexpress and on my aliexpress carbon frame without dying once. All the bits were brought from Flyxii and I have put the best part of 12000 miles on the frame and a 50/50 share of that on the bars. Whats the worst that can happen.?

tomhoward

Every time I see those ‘get what you pay for’ VW ads, I’m minded of STW.

Mods might need to close this now before I lose any more face in the STW community muppet!

Oh no, you don’t get off that likely sunshine. This is the equivalent of getting caught smoking, and your punishment is having to smoke the whole packet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Took 4 weeks to arrive so not terrible.

A month? And that’s “not so terrible”?

A month? Seriously?

woodster

I’m not against cheap carbon bars having used a set of On One Knuckleballs as hard as could reasonably be expected and yet they always functioned perfectly (and I recently sold them giving a total cost of ownership of about £15) and I’m now on a set of RSP Ego DHs which seem decent.

They’re all mostly made in similar places by similar factories, but at least with a UK supplier there’s hopefully more consideration to quality and safety standards.

tomhoward

They’re all mostly made in similar places by similar factories

It’s statements like this that allows shit like the above to exist.

fudge9202
    Free Member

A huge face plant awaits!
    40 quid more and you could have got a brand new set of Chromag Cutlass 750mm carbon bars and they arrive next day from Shorelines.
    As a bonus they are stunning.

cjr61

Officially going into hiding now….

kayla1
    Free Member

Ok, look, the OP has acknowledged an error in judgement. Let’s not keep adding to this thread to bump it up the page, eh?

fudge9202
    Free Member

No need to go into hiding for God’s sake just by a set of decent bars

sharkattack

Ive had two sets of carbon road bars from aliexpress and on my aliexpress carbon frame without dying once.

You hit many jumps on that road bike?

…put them in the garage or use as a decorative garden ornament.

You could use them as both a rolling pin and cookie cutter to make tiny little biscuits. Said biscuits would be the perfect size to store inside your real bars when you go riding for a handy snack.

lightman
    Free Member

Just ignore the usual bs Chinese carbon scare story replies above, I have exactly the same bars and matching stem on my fat bike.
    I have a £13 130g carbon bar on my other fatty and that has had lots of abuse over the last 6000 miles I have used it for.

I also have 200g integrated carbon stem/bar on my 29er and that has been perfect.

Its just the same as buying any product, just look after it and check it over every now and again.

tomhoward

What do you check for?

monkeyboyjc

I had a set of £30 (3t aeronova like) carbor bars on my my road bike for 18 months with no issues at all.

Also just bought somee N’S Bikes carbon bars from crc – £120 rrp and you can feel the ridges and creases made in the carbon lay up internally

Most carbon products come from Asia – just look at the resent ENVE road bike fork story… having a fancy logo and a uk receipt just gives you some one to complain too when/if they snap…

njee20
    Free Member

A month? Seriously

Stuff coming halfway round the world for very little money takes a while shocker. Full story at 10.

I order loads of little electronic bits from AliBaba, takes a while, costs pence. Meh.

That said I wouldn’t buy £13 bars. I put a £200 (real) Bontrager bar on my Deng Fu frame!

mattyfez

The thing with carbon though is is doesn’t bend, it suddenly cracks catastrophically.. If it’s layered up well it’s far stronger than aluminium but doesn’t weigh a lot less.

The danger I guess is when people spec up light carbon and expect it to be indestructible.. It’s not not.

I’m running some lb rims.. They are great and light.. But before purchase I was thinking an XC spec 28 spoke build, several emails later after giving my weight and ride style they were fairly adamant I went with the tougher AM spec with 32 spokes, even though my riding is more cross country.. I don’t do big jumps or anything crazy, but I’m quite tall and relatively heavy at 15/16 stone so I figured they were giving good advice.

I’m confident with my wheels now as I’ve bashed them about a fair bit, but i don’t think I’d be tempted to buy blind a £13 carbon bar.. Wheels will tell you when they are failing, a bar if not layered up well will just snap suddenly resulting in a smashed up face and teeth knocked out.

Think about the forces applied.. Wheels dissipate force well due the the load spreading out through the rim and spokes.. Bars only have 3 pressure points.. 2 where you are holding them with your entire weight on the ends, and a single stress point in the middle at the stem.. A bad landing will put many times your body weight onto the bars.. Far more than you could ever simulate by kicking it or trying to break it over your knee.

Check out the santa cruz video on YouTube when they are testing carbon frames vs aluminium ones.. Carbon takes significantly more abuse but when it cracks, it’s a pretty catastrophic failure.. But these are high end branded carbon parts that are constructed thicker..

Sorry to sound like a broken record but I wouldn’t run a ten quid carbon bar from Ali express.. You just don’t know if it’s layered up thick enough.

I’m kind of a hypocrite as im running LB rims which I purchased direct.. But they seem to have a solid reputation and they do consult you during the purchase process for suitability/spec.. They won’t do fake decals, they build them with genuine hope hubs If you choose to upgrade from the standard novatek, and they’ve recently announced they don’t do bars or other carbon bits any more, just wheels, which is confidence inspireing I think.

cjr61

Is it safe to come out yet and bake some handlebar sized cookies? 😛

In all seriousness some articulate points for/against and always appreciate the combined experience of STW

Appreciate all of the input

Chris

hora
    Free Member

I’m tighter than the original Yorkshireman. I break into sweats at the thought of buying a round.

I bought a brand new set of Easton carbon 780mm Havens to replace my oldish Easton carbon Havocs (‘just incase’/being careful).

**** me OP

v666ern
    Free Member

Bump,literally 😯 😆

russyh
    Free Member

Not that I am condoning the use of a £13 set of Chinese bars (I wouldn’t use them) just wanted to pick up on the comments that carbon doesn’t bend, it snaps catostrophicly….that’s simply not true. Boat masts all bend, in fact they can have Bend characteristics made into them. Same way as carbon bars can be built with some flex. Much like with alloy, once you go past the point of no return they will snap! The issue with the Chinese bars as I see it is the uncertainty of the wall thickness, the quantity and quality of epoxy used, not to mention what quality of carbon…. Oh and potential voids.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed its the issue with qc

You could have a brilliant set of bars you could have a set of rejected there is no way to tell. Then again I do have second hand carbon bars [ 4 years old now in my use ] so really why am I preaching as I cannot tell you much about them either

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just ignore the usual bs Chinese carbon scare story replies above, I have exactly the same bars and matching stem on my fat bike.
    I have a £13 130g carbon bar on my other fatty and that has had lots of abuse over the last 6000 miles I have used it for.

OK, in simple terms..

If China was a factory then maybe you would have a point, China is a country with lots of factories and very little transparency around whats going on in a lot of them. A reputable company will have QC, checks and process to make sure the product is consistent etc.
    You have no idea what is going on with the stuff you find on Ali Express. If your lucky it’s somebody running unbadged kit out to the same standard as the original and that they are doing it consistently. It could be getting run out on the weekend with less staff and whatever CF they have to hand, they could be using less material to do it real cheap they could be QC rejects (bad batch of CF/materials etc) cleaned up and sent off on a job lot.

Northwind

CaptainFlashheart – Member

A month? And that’s “not so terrible”?

A month? Seriously?

They say 25 days so yep, 4 weeks is definitely not so terrible. And it costs basically nothing, so yes- not terrible at all. Course, you could get your low cost stuff from aliexpress or taobao express couriered to you in days but then it’d not be cheap.

(I still wouldn’t touch those bars. And that’s not anti-cheap-carbon, there’s inexpensive carbon that I do trust, but fakes and no-names don’t enter that list)

jekkyl

I’ve been looking at new carbon bars of late. Three cheap but quality manufacture choices as I can see.

£58 from ebay from a STWer in Leek,Staffs. KTM is an Austrian company. KTM Prime

£47.95 The Raleigh Carbon Ego

£54.99 the chromag cutlass

monksie
    Free Member

I bought a set of those risers last year and when after 6 weeks they hadn’t arrived, I got in touch to chase them. Loads of apologies and I ended up with two sets. My wife didn’t want a set on her bike so I did some of my own testing on them. I whacked them very hard with a hammer. The hammer bounced off. I did it a good few times. The carbon scuffed a bit. The hammer bounced off. I put a stem on it and tightened it. A lot. One of the stem bolts snapped. The carbon crushed a little. It split a tiny bit at the clamp point. I went back to hammering it at the crushed/ split bit. The hammer bounced. After a while and a lot of “What ARE you doing?” questions, the crack began to spread a little. I got bored and binned them. I have 2 sets of 3T Aero copy bars on my road bikes. £30 each from Aliexpress. They’ve been on for over a year. Not one single issue.
    If you don’t want the bars, I’ll give you what they cost you.
    Typical “I read it on the Internet so I’ll say it’s true” nonsense being spouted.

c_klein87

oooh they sell some good stuff on their site, particularly tempted by the ec90 stem copies http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/New-Arrivals-3K-Matte-Road-Bike-Stem-Carbon-Fiber-MTB-Short-Stem-31-8-80-100MM/618808_32346849585.html if only they were 0°

i’m a supporter of chinese stuff, undecided about bars, as they tend to fail catastrophically, unlike a stem which is a fairly big lump of carbon

monksie
    Free Member

“tend to fail catastrophically”

I keep reading this but I’ve yet to see an explanation of what it means or see evidence of it.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s a photo linked in this thread (in this instance about £13 bars…). Carbon bars tend to just go bang and break in half.

It doesn’t matter if you’ve paid £100 for an Easton logo, the likely failure mechanism is a loud crunch and a wobbly front end. Aluminium ones might bend. Almost certainly won’t though. Moot point.

otsdr
    Free Member

Right.

monksie
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dodged-a-bullet-today-snapped-carbon
    In this case, a set of Easton bars. Whammed against a tree, apparently.
    I whammed my £13 chinese copies with a hammer, lots. Nothing went went bang and broke in half. I suppose it’s pot luck then.
    Offer still stands to the OP. I’ll give you what you paid for the bars and I’m looking forward to riding home on one of my bikes fitted with the £30 3T chinese copies.

njee20
    Free Member

As an advocate of Chinese carbon I do agree that the inconsistency and the unknown is the issue. They may not be any weaker than Easton, but you don’t know.

I wouldn’t buy fakes. I would buy from one of the known Chinese brands.

hora
    Free Member

Monksie I know what you are saying and I agree but (for me) its about confidence (and consistency in the manufacture and testing )in a product. Some people are fine- others affected by, well fear. I’d love a set of decent (cheap) carbon road 44cm bars as well 🙁

A good idea (like yours) would be to order two at the sametime and test one to destruction- that’d help alot on the confidence side and they are more than likely going to be from the same batch.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘AliExpress Carbon Bars – look good now that they've arrived….’ is closed to new replies.