Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alicante car hire
  • surfer
    Free Member

Holidaying in Altea in August and we have been to the area a few times for family holidays and hired cars before we left and picked them up at the airport.
    Really just wanted a hire car company that the hive mind could recommend above the rest?

We have used a different one on 3 occasions over the last few years with pros and cons for each, just wondered if anyone had used one they think stood out?

Many thanks

MikeG

We booked with doyouspain a few weeks ago and was given a car through sol-mar it was very cheap but the car was awful – booked as an ibiza or similar, got a chevrolet aveo with 95k on the clock, every panel was damaged it misfired at 3k rpm when the engine was hot and it had a horrible wobble at 100kmh.
    Friends we went with also used doyouspain but their car came from gold car and was a brand new toyota yaris with less than 5k on it for about £25 more over the 10 days.

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks Mike. I think I may have used them in the past, id remember getting a lot of spam from them!

piemonster

Used GoldCar a month or so ago, car looked like it had been used down the fair on the dodgems. Never really encountered a hire car company that I’d go so far to recommend to be honest.

Cheap enough Gold Car, I liked the sales pitch on the insurance. “Take the insurance and you can do what you like to the car”

DougD

Got family out there and my parents have used solmar before without a hitch, Mike’s experience doesn’t seem great though and definitely not what you want when you arrive.

Also for when you’re there, Altea has got a bike rental scheme like the Boris Bikes, 3 EUR for a day or 10 for a week, loads of bike stations from Albir through Altea, then up past Cap Negret, l’Olla and Altea La Vella. Used them to get about when I was out there in May and they were great.

mherbie
    Free Member

we’ve had some right lemons for hire cars, but we used Avis last week at Alicante, the car had less than 4,000km and you only pay for the fuel you use, i.e fill the car up before you drop it off, the likes of solmar charge you for a full tank on collection.

northernmatt

We flew into Murcia a couple of weeks back. I’d booked with Centauro via economycarhire.com

Got given a Fiesta 1.25 with 16k km on it and asked to pay for a full tank up front. Not too bad as the whole cost for 9 days with a kiddy seat but not including petrol was about £160. Fuel charge was obviously made up as it was about £60 for a full tank.

surfer
    Free Member

Also for when you’re there, Altea has got a bike rental scheme like the Boris Bikes, 3 EUR for a day or 10 for a week, loads of bike stations from Albir through Altea, then up past Cap Negret, l’Olla and Altea La Vella. Used them to get about when I was out there in May and they were great.

Thanks Dougd I’ll look into that when we are there!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alicante car hire’ is closed to new replies.