• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Del.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Alfine question.
  • pandascandal
    Free Member

I'm thinking of converting my on-one scandal with slot dropouts to try the alfine geared hub. I've heard worrying things about the alfine chainline (42mm) and given the tightness in the scandal chainstays was wondering if this setup would work?
    Currently have an XT m760 (44/32/22) hollowtech chainset (50mm chainline). Loose the largest ring (44) and pop a bash guard on instead(thus giving a dual chainring and moving the chainline between the inner and middle chainring to be about 47.5mm.

Flip an 18T sprocket outward on the alfine to give a 47mm chainline on the rear and add the alfine chain tensioner with a 5mm spacer.
    Ok so the chainlines are .5mm out but I reckon this should be pretty good and give a good range of usable gears (my calculations with an 18T sprocket give a ratio range of 3.35 – 0.75 where an 11-32T with the 44/32/22 gives a range ratio of 4 – 0.63).
    Would this work??

Stevoisonone
    Free Member

This is a popular enquiry and this set up does work. We normally shift the Chainring onto the inner middle and run a bash guard. I am sure others will have done this… We are going to introduce this as a standard line. I hope this helps.

Del

i'm running an inbred with an alfine.
    if you have trackends why are you planning on using a tensioner?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Alfine question.’ is closed to new replies.