Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Alfine hubs, are the slow?!
  • beefy

So I have built up a C456 with an alfine hub, can’t tell if it is me or tyres, or what, but it just doesn’t seam to freewheel that well, when it’s upside down the wheels spins freely, I have a fairly light rim, a tubeless kevlar tyre to try and keep the rotating weight down.

Anyone else found them a bit draggy and slow?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

freewheels fine or should do – its a bit draggy pedalling

BlobOnAStick

Done many miles yet? It will probably loosen up, although I don’t remember mine being especially draggy on freewheeling.

beefy

Its a second hand one, but in excellent nick, clearly very little use. Might just be me, will have a poke around.

BlobOnAStick

It might benefit from an clean/ATF dunking, although mine had done 1000+ miles before I did that.

scruff
    Free Member

Mine drags alot, even after new ATF.

Evesie
    Free Member

Definately notice the drag on mine, freewheeling seems worse than pedalling, means less brake wear tho 🙂 Especially noticable in the cold weather – increase in oil viscosity oil the probable cause. Still, chain losses should be lower but I don’t think it will compensate. Think of it as extra training, if you are into that sort of thing.

epicyclo

I don’t notice it.

beefy

OK, might be tempted to do an oil change, is this within the realms of a home mechanic (from a point of already knowing how to strip and rebuild more or less everything on a bike)?

scruff
    Free Member

Oil change is easy, take off nondrive cone/locknut, take off drive side lockring, dust cover, sprocket off and the whole lot pulls out for dipping in degreaser and then oil / grease. No special tools needed. Getting further into the gear gubbins gives a big possibility of home mechanic fail though.

snakebite
    Free Member

Getting further into the gear gubbins gives a big possibility of home mechanic fail though

that’ll be why yours is not working then M8.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Alfine hubs, are the slow?!’ is closed to new replies.