Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Alfine + Horizontal dropouts?
  • bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I'm currently running an Alfine on a Kona Unit but want to swap to a horizontal dropout frame (Scandal). Is anyone is running similar, as I think it may be more faff than its worth?

The problem I forsee is keeping chain tension on the driveside as I wouldn't want to overtighten the hub nuts to keep it in place on an alu frame 😕

mick_r

I made a special set of chain tugs but you could probably modify a suitable set (would need to be fairly chunky and flat – maybe BMX ones with a 14mm axle hole?)

My handmade tugs have a larger than normal hole so they fit on the outside of the anti-turn washers instead of the axle (about 19.5mm I think). Tug needs to be about 1mm thinner than the anti turn washer. Then use a big M10 washer between the axle nut and anti-turn washer to stop the tug falling off. I've sandwiched an o-ring in there to stop things rattling. All very neat and tidy and seems to work very well.

I used the anti-turn washers for vertical dropouts to get a different cable run (cable up the seatstay).

Hope that helps – I can mail you some pictures tonight.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Good idea! I was thinking of running the anti turn washer on the drive side over the top of a chain tug (suitably modified to accept the torque tab).

DartmoorDave
    Free Member

I have an Alfine on a Mk2 Chameleon, generally works fine. Think it has slipped once or twice on very short sharp climbs, when I haven't done the nuts up tight enough.

Good bit of kit so far.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Alfine + Horizontal dropouts?’ is closed to new replies.