Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alfine fitting help please
  • martinwilly
    Free Member

So I've got my Alfine rear wheel, from the wonderful Sideways Cycles.

I've got my Kona Paddy Wagon.

I've got my Jtek bar end shifter.

I've got some old bars of a friend because the 2010 Paddy Wagon bars are ridiculous.

All this is sitting in boxes by my desk.

I'm awaiting the nexus sprocket.

My only fitting question is: What I do with the shifter cable? What sort of shifter cable do I use? Presumably a sleeved cable all the way from the bar-end shifter on my drops, all the way along the top tube and down the seat stays to the hub. Is this right? I imagine I fit it with cable ties as there are no lugs on the frame.

Is it a standard shimano shifter cable? Can I even buy one with a sleeve so long?

Anyone who's done all this – I'd be very grateful to hear from you.

I expect to have about 90 minutes on Friday night to get the bike ready for Saturday morning's ride. If I canm't get it done, I'll be riding the surrey hills on my 49-13 fixie, which just isn't funny.

Martin

martinwilly
    Free Member

Just the question, without the babbling:

My only fitting question is: What I do with the shifter cable? What sort of shifter cable do I use? Presumably a sleeved cable all the way from the bar-end shifter on my drops, all the way along the top tube and down the seat stays to the hub. Is this right? I imagine I fit it with cable ties as there are no lugs on the frame.

wwaswas
    BlobOnAStick

Cable lug is provided by the hub (an arm with a cable-end located within it is hung off the drive-side axle). You will need the correct torque washer kit to align this up your seat stays.

If you have horizontal drop-outs then the arm may point along your chainstay, so you may have to route the cable underneath the bottom bracket.

As far as I can see, the cable and outer is standard, unless the jtek shifter requires something else…..

Ben

tonyg2003

Hi. Full length cable. I have a grey Alfine lugged washer on the non-drive horizintal drop out and I ran a top tube – chainstay (zip tied) cable routing down to the Afline cable stop since this seemed the shortest / least likely to get crudded routing. Not too pretty but effective on my Slot-Inbred.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Any bike shop should be able to cut you a length of outer to fit your bike.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Tony do you mean top tube and seat stay?

martinwilly
    Free Member

Perfect as always.

I realise it's a numpty question but wanted to get it cleared before I start building 'cos I won't have time for embuggerance.

Full length cable and sleeve it is. Track ends, so I guess I'll route it down tube and chainstay.

Many thanks indeed.

SidewaysTim

Martin, do read the instructions in the Alfine box – it tells you which washers to use for a particular dropout (it should be the silver one and the white one for horizontal). Long outer cable all the way and then screw the pinch bolt onto the inner 101mm from the end of the outer with the shifter in position 1. It's easy, as long as you route the inner around the guide on the hub correctly.

More pics here.If you want some in better detail, just shout.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I like what you have done there Tim.

SidewaysTim

Me too. It's ace. I might actually even take it for a ride some time. All for £999 too 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am still toying with Alfining a drop bar Day 01 with a set of your levers. Got to flog that Flyer first though.

SidewaysTim

That Day One is a great looking bike. The more I fiddle with Alfine the more I like it. I'm even thinking about putting it on a proper bike!

adeward
    Free Member

I have one on a whyte preston full sus bike,, bit of machineing involved to make it work with the big gripper dropouts, but it does mean i have a QR back end rather than carrying a 15mm spanner

once i had the cable length sorted it worked very well, initialy it needed adjustment every couple of rides as the cable stretched but now it is great no messing about at all

the adjustment is very easy put it in 4th on the shifter and then turn the adjuster on the shifter until the two yellow dots on the hub line up then it shifts very well,,

i love them ,, especialy in the current conditions ,, and the shifting at standstill and while not pedaling

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alfine fitting help please’ is closed to new replies.