Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone Broken a leg and been in plaster for a while? ( Not me btw)
  • juiced
    Free Member

Mum needs a leg operation is gonna be in plaster for some time.

I've written up a basic and growing plan of action for the period covering the obvious – shopping, Possible mobility vehicle hire, books to read , teach her how to surf the web etc.

Thing is she is very active and rides her bike daily and is very independent and like to go out alot visiting friends etc.

Are their any points that are important for me to consider?

The op will not occur until some time as it is planned

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

julianwilson
    Free Member

yes. Its really hard living anything like your normal life, especially for the first 2 or 3 weeks as you have to elevate the leg most of the time.

Best thing for me was a 'satchel' with a shoulder strap hanging at the front as your bag pulls you forward not backward (easier to overbalance forward that backwards) and it hard to carry anything around with you if you are on crutches. It sounds silly but having lots of spaces to put things down every few feet in the house helps as you can put your tea down, hop forward a bit and then move it again.

Also I had a sort of drybag with a neoprene collar round the thigh (a 'Limbo' iirc) which means you can prop your leg up and have a good soak in the bath without worrying about getting the cast wet.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers, I think she'll be fine. She just a bit anxouis at the moment and it is easy for me to say 'no problem' ( although I haven't) . At least she has the luxury of some planning and a wonderful son 😆

Thanks Julian. I suppose like anything really one of the great abilites of the human race is to adapt. This however may be hindered by time, which in this case is not an issue.

samuri
    Free Member

Washing yourself is certainly difficult. I found the best method for me was to just sit on the edge of the bath naked (calm down ladies) and use the shower to rinse myself down and wash but the neoprene bag sounds like a good idea.

Depending on how much crutching about she's going to do, keep a check on the rubbers on the bottom of the crutches. I went arse over tit one day because the rubbers had worn out and the crutches skidded on a smooth floor. Thought I'd broken my other leg for a while.

Learn to develop a rancid hate for anyone who parks in a disabled space who isn't actually disabled. Many times I would go out shopping with my wife, not be able to find a space and have to crutch across the car park only to see someone with no obvious defects getting into their car in a disabled space, I had a few arguments. See also taking my son to football, there were only three disabled spaces at the ground and lazy people would park in them, the next nearest car park being half a mile away, I had to crutch that more than once. (I'm probably getting too specific here ;- )

Make sure there's nothing on the stairs, crutch users need all the room they can get there.

Speshpaul

If she can move down stairs for a while it will help. You can go upstairs on your bum, but if you can't bend your knee standing up is an issue.
    Not having any biscuits/crisps in teh house, i could get to the kitchen and make a cup of tea, but i couldn't carry it. So you stand there in the kitchen and drink it, that where the bidcuits are.
    Car- i was in a hip to toe cast, getting in the car was a big issue.
    After a few days i found a brief walk up the road and back was good for mind and body.
    Toilet- a cast is quite heavy, if you can't bend your knee sitting on the bog is quite tricky, making a little tower to rest your foot on from bog rolls worked for me. (this might sound like to much info, but if she is on codine for pain, well lets just say you need to be comfortable for a good read.)
    I'm still struggling to break the afternoon nap habbit:-)

domino

The idea about the bag is a good one. My mum made soup for my dad each day and left it in a flask for him so that he could eat it where he felt comfiest, usually watching Sky Sports so the bag was very handy.

Once the pain had subsided enough and he got more mobile around the house, my dad rang the insurance company to ask if he could drive (they have an automatic) and they gave him the OK so he would often take short journeys to the shops in the car (Mum not able to drive for him).

He got really bored being on his own during the day so gentle reminders to family and friends to keep in touch is good. Someone phoned my Dad everyday even if it was just for 10 minutes to say hello.

plant
    Free Member

I was in an external fixator or cast for well over 6 months – so I think I'm reasonably qualified …..

I used to tie the crutches to the side of the wheelchair in such a way as to protect my extended leg.

Used a rucksack for transporting stuff around.

Fingerless cycling gloves for getting around.

Neoprene 'hard' foam to re-inforce hand grips.

Neoprene cover for arm clips.

As above – check stoppers on the bottom – I wrecked 3 sets of crutches through wear at the bottom.

I had an extendable arm (3 foot with pinch claw on end) clipped to crutch in easy reach when ever needed.

Head-torch for late night wandering around home or outdoors.

For the first few weeks, effect of Op will keep 'sedated' but you will get bored! Internet forums, phonecalls, visits – all really do count.

Good luck.

juiced
    Free Member

Thanks so much everyone for your detailed replys. Mum has read this post and is amazed how much help has been received.

Cheers.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I spent 7 weeks in plaster from below the knee to toes on my left leg, following a fracture-dislocation.

Stairs are a pain in the ar$e when on crutches. Cars with manual gearbox are also a PITA.

Ditto the advice about the rubber things on the bottom of the crutches.

If the loo is upstairs and your mum is downstairs for the best part of the day, that will be a problem. If the house is elevated from the roadside, that will also be a problem for getting out & about – but it can be done

one other thing – when the cast comes off, anything painted with the yellow goo they use before surgery will flake off in a BIG way. Think of the old (sick) gag about the leper in the cinema with a bag of crisps…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone Broken a leg and been in plaster for a while? ( Not me btw)’ is closed to new replies.