• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ski.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Aldi moisture meter accuracy (firewood content)
  • spooky_b329

Anyone compared the moisture meter to a known good one?

Just had our stove installed so reluctantly bought a net of firewood from the petrol station to try it out. It struggled to really get going, so I tried a bit of Douglas fir which was only felled and split a couple of months ago…as I understand it this needs to be particular well seasoned as it’s not ideal for burning. Surprisingly it was more successful…when I got the Meter out it says 14% for the net of wood and 16% for the recently split stuff. Measured on freshly split pieces. Wondering if the tree was dead before felling which could account for dryness?

Stoner
    Free Member

seems a bit low without assisted drying.

Coincidentally I went down to my log pile this morning with a cup of coffee, an axe and my moisture meter.

2yr dry willow was showing 18-20% from core to edge.

Winter 2012 harvest poplar, split in June this year was showing 20% edge to 34% core.

So I reckon that atmospheric moisture will settle the wood at c.20%.

To get lower than that you probably need some kind of kiln drying or greenhouse/solar kiln storage.

If you want to test your meter you can do a series of experiments using a kitchen scale and an oven at 60dgrees ish.

spooky_b329

Thanks. Will dig out the instructions as it has a calibration thing in the cap (a resistor I think!) And it was about 2% out according to that.

spooky_b329

Anyone else tried the aldi Meter… is it reliable?

Happy days if it turns out my wood was seasoned before felling! It doesn’t sizzle when burning, pops a bit but I think that’s normal for Douglas fir.

BoardinBob

bought a net of firewood from the petrol station to try it out

I also bought a net of firewood from the petrol station. It was absolute crap and really struggled to burn

spooky_b329

I’m glad to hear that…waiting to collect some decent stuff.

Any recommendations for online suppliers, I need >250mm seasoned wood. I’d be up for a delivery of green split wood for next year as well.

ski
    Free Member

Spooky, if you are after cheap greenwood and happy to chop and saw it yourself, it might be worth giving your local council a call, some offload recently cut wood at very reasonable prices.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Aldi moisture meter accuracy (firewood content)’ is closed to new replies.