Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ae – how's it riding these days?
  • kevin1911

I’ve not been to ae for around 2.5 years now, but think I may be in the vicinity on sunday. It used to be one of my favourites, but last time I went it felt like nuclear winter had arrived and a lot of the berms were quite washed out.

How is it these days? I heard there had been some new bits of trail added.

Cheers!

andypandy85
    Free Member

SDA race there this weekend so it’ll be closed for riding I imagine?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

SDA is DH, trail will still be open.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kevin1911

Oh, glad I asked then! Time for plan b then..

kevin1911

Oh, back to plan a then, plus a chance to watch the dh. Any opinions on the trails?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was there this week for the first time in 2 years….and the main difference…lots of frickin’ windmills! Until you get to the furthest point north there’s no trail diversions and the track is identical to 2 years ago. But now, instead of turning left onto the boardwalk section there’s a new track to avoid the windfarm work, which starts off pretty lame then turns into a series of epic berms/doubles (berms need a bit more work imo, but very smooth with no braking bumps at all….I’ll give it 6 months) then a new gravel climb up to the forest track before ther Omega Man. Probably shortens the loop by 1/2k’s but still one of the best Staines.

edit: oh, and the section you describe as being ‘washed out’ is still ‘washed out’ but it’s still ace

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Was there on Sunday, trails were riding really well – still rough and rocky, but really good fun.

They’ve changed the route a bit because of the wind turbines being built. There’s now a section that replaces the one up the top (Bran, Burn, Bash. I think) with a cracking bit of trail, big jumps and berms. Would be better if I were good enough to clear the table-tops. 🙂

Trekster
    munrobiker
    Free Member

If you’re on about the XC then chances are absolutely awful- by far the worst trail centre in Scotland and the “new” bits I rode brought nothing to the table.

Trekster

Amazing how opinions differ…..

legend
    Free Member

eat_more_cheese – Member

but still one of the best Staines.

yeah I’d probably put it in my top 7 😉

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Well one mans meat is another mans poison and all that…
    I think Ae is superb, but I realise its a personal thing. Just think Ae has a great balance of trails from twisty ST to berms and doubles and there’s the orange route if that’s your thing. Also think the rocky climb is challenging enough to clear in a oner. Oh and the luxury hot chocolate and tray bakes rock. See, IMO Inners is one long climb, one long descent, GT too busy, Mabie just not fun enough, Dalbeattie only has the slab and no cafe, glentrool is ok for a blast round or a cycle tour around Scotland’s forest roads,, newcastleton doesn’t count, and Kirry is ace
    But balls to them all and go and ride a Munro

stevious

I’m not a big fan of Ae but I hear it’s the Fonz’s favourite trail centre.

Trekster

Dalbeattie has a cafe and as of this week toilets 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yip, Dalbeattie has a cafe, and lots more than the slab. All that cheese you’ve eaten has made you talk shite.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Cafe doesn’t make the trail any better. Couple of hills might 😉

convert

So if I’m driving proper north in the middle of the week and wanted to break the journey in the van for the night vaguely in the Dumfries area which of the western trail centres would you visit IF you were planning on leaving your wife in/around the van (she refuses to play mtb) whilst you rode? I’ve only every ridden Ae of these- first time 8 or 9 years ago very impressed, last time 3yrs ago not so much.

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Ae has a good cafe for the missus. A better option might be Drumlanrig. About half an hour farther up the road than Ae. Got castle and gardens to wander round, gift shop, cafe and some other stuff too. Riding is good, but REALLY rooty. It’s private, but only £6, which I think is well worth it.

banginon

AYe what about a lap of the red/black at Drumlanrig.

The Mrs Convert can have a look at the shops or do a lap o’ the castle..

There are a couple of new sections opened which are jumpy/pumpy and the old black finish has been redone.

Northwind

Riding bikes is good. But, of all the trailcentres down that way Ae is the one I’m in the least hurry to ride again. If it was anywhere else it’d be more popular but it rubs shoulders with Dalbeattie, Drumlanrig, and Mabie and they’re all better, and it’s not that far from the mighty Kirroughtree either.

IMO of course 😉 I will go back and I will enjoy it but it’s not high on the list.

kevin1911

Well I ventured down to Ae today, and was really looking forward to it. Then realised I had left my shoes, helmet and camelbak at home. After much cursing I went to watch the DH while I stuffed my face with all my trail munches. Maybe next time

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ae – how's it riding these days?’ is closed to new replies.